Electric Harley Davidson

Amadeus

3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

It is and always has been my belief that "real" bilkers come here to hear the bikes and smell the Castrol R or whatever.

It's a diminishing romance. The TT has to move with the times, dilli, those "real" bikers are of an age gone by and getting scarcer by the year. 

4 minutes ago, paswt said:

Because the old school motorcycling community may have loyalties to a particular marque  but  they are a tad more polite and not so far up themselves and don't slag off vintage veteran and classic machinery.

Personally I prefer "British Iron" but would not denigrate those who choose to ride Japanese or prefer HD to HRD or electric , it's two wheels (or even 3) and we are all motorcyclists.

Cross PURPOSES I think,I was questioning your remark 're his "decades of motorcycling" or words to that effect, 

1 minute ago, quilp said:
11 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

It is and always has been my belief that "real" bilkers come here to hear the bikes and smell the Castrol R or whatever.

It's a diminishing romance. The TT has to move with the times, dilli, those "real" bikers are of an age gone by and getting scarcer by the year. 

But the TT may well die with them. I don't think those "in charge " realise that .

36 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

But the TT may well die with them. I don't think those "in charge " realise that .

Difficult to know who's actually "in charge" though, with so many interested parties influencing the event this way and that. It seems the general idea within the hierarchy is to 'develop' the event, maybe because leaving it in the era you describe it would die a slow death. Where is the TT going, how will it look 5 years from now? It needs to adapt to the times but how, and who, for that matter, is best to do it? There is sometimes an air of desperation on how best to 'develop' the event, as seen with the Vision9 debacle, for instance. 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

"Petrol engines have always been idiotic"

Really? They (ICE in general, particularly compared to electric) would seem to offer significant advantages in terms of fuel energy density, fuel availability (at present!) and engine simplicity. No argument with diesel over petrol, though!

Engine Simplicity? What? An ICE has dozens of moving parts, an electric engine has one. Not counting auxiliary parts like pumps, etc. Electric motors are far simpler and need less maintenance. They also don't emit deadly toxins into the air and have way better power delivery. Battery tech is advancing fast, giving range and refuel times almost on par with petrol and Diesel cars, and soon to be better than them. Don't get me wrong: I like the sound of a Lambo and admire the engineering that goes into the Bugatti engine, but both have nothing on a fast electric car.

• Like 1

Construction of batteries is incredibly complex and the control electronics and programming to (a) stop them blowing up and (b) get them to deliver their optimum performance is only possible with 21st century knowledge.  The extra weight penalty of batteries imposes handling issues and recharge times for decent range are still significantly greater than ICE, particularly if you have the temerity to use heating, aircon or main beam.

No doubt they will improve over time, but what would the performance of an electric car have been compared to ICE in say 1890, 1920, 1950, even 1980?

On the MR website it states that a new 'Supercar' event will "roar" into being on June 10th, straight after TT, for 5 days of, "high quality driving and dining (sic)." Obviously, with supercars, this event will be about speed and performance. And, seemingly, eating. Will this also mean the racetrack will be closed for certain periods? I realise it's all about the money and profile but will there be any more inconvenience and costs of policing by an already depleted force?

Derek? 

Edited by quilp

7 hours ago, quilp said:

On the MR website it states that a new 'Supercar' event will "roar" into being on June 10th, straight after TT, for 5 days of, "high quality driving and dining (sic)."

Strange one that. Check the website. Is this a government thing or a private enterprise? 

Edited by The Sick Moon
Oops, Bombs on England...

25 minutes ago, The Sick Moon said:

Strange one that.  Check the website. Is this a government thing or a private enterprise? 

It's a bit vague, innit. And lacking specifics. I would hope that all licences,  insurance, fitness to drive and conditions of the motors are thoroughly checked at point of entry. Derek Flint and a business partner seem to be overseeing things. No mention of numbers either. So slightly vague in content.

Edited to add, that link brings you to the bombing of England by various German planes in WW2. Was it intentional? Hilarious anyway. :lol:

Edited by quilp
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, quilp said:

So obviously it means more road closures unless the events are taking place elsewhere. Are all those registrations actually legal? 

God only knows! This is a strange one. Manx Radio are plugging this as a five day supercar festival, which suggests it's for everyone to be able to enjoy. So what form will that take? Will I be able to drive a supercar? Or get a ride in one? Sounds great! 

"Five day festival launched

A new high profile Supercar event will take place on the Island this summer.

The organisers of Supertour Isle of Man are promising five days of high quality driving and dining activities.

It will roar into action at the end of TT fortnight on June the 10th.

The team behind it, retired police officer Derek Flint and chief executive Peter Adamson, say they want to promote all that is great about the Isle of Man - its roads, people, hospitality, scenery and opportunities.

More information is available via the website: supertour.im, by calling 242002 or following @supertouriom on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

Derek says the prevalence of supercars seen around the Island last summer sparked the idea for the event."