Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Neil Down

Child Obesity

1 minute ago, woody2 said:
20 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

When I was at high school in the late 60s, there was roughly one fat kid per class. They stood out a mile, god love them.

Now the slim / skinny kid sticks out and concerns are raised about their eating habits WTF :o  

and 50 years later you've still not got over been the fat kid.....

Ha. I was never fat. In fact I was underweight for several years at school.

I picked up the smoking bug early and only when I quit about 12 years ago did I put any weight on.

I am now though probably about 2 stone too heavy and can't see that changing until I have all my teeth removed.

You can't suck a Big Mac through a straw, can you ?

..........you can if you put it through a blender.................mind it needs a thick straw.......................

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

....ps, I'm still skinny, 6ft tall and 12 stone...................

Bastardo ;)

• Haha 2

Good topic to which there are no easy answers. Whatever the solutions it needs strong parental and school authority and that just isn't there anymore. I doubt we can fix it and certainly not by tweaking around the edges of the problem. There's also a huge class bias to obesity which explains a lot about the real causes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Good topic to which there are no easy answers. Whatever the solutions it needs strong parental and school authority and that just isn't there anymore. I doubt we can fix it and certainly not by tweaking around the edges of the problem. There's also a huge class bias to obesity which explains a lot about the real causes. 

I have no idea what the answer is, but, I find it amazing that every time an event is advertised, it has the burger van, dinky donuts or booze take away tagged onto it.

Why does every event need an alcohol and fast food outlet.?

Maybe it's a generation thing, but when I was younger, all that was on offer at most social events, was a cup of tea and a Marie biscuit.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, quilp said:

Good subject Neil. Is it the amount of food outlets or lack of self-control and parental responsibility which causes obesity in kids? It's not as if people are force-fed. Unfortunately, obese parents usually means obese kids. Bad habits die hard. 

Obese parents with obese kids should be visited by social services. If it’s caused through poor diet I’d consider that a form of neglect. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There aren't that many obese kids around, nowhere near as many as kids with normal looking weights. But I suppose it gives underemployed MHKs something to do. 

8 hours ago, quilp said:

Daphne should be telling the irresponsible parents who create this problem in the first place. 

But it's probably a vote loser. Still, ignoring the obvious reduces the risk of being unpopular, in this case. Can't upset the real culprits. 

Edited by quilp

1 hour ago, The Sick Moon said:

There aren't that many obese kids around, nowhere near as many as kids with normal looking weights. But I suppose it gives underemployed MHKs something to do. 

The newsbite indicates around 20% of kids are obese or near-to, so it is quite a few. I wonder how many of our MHKs consider themselves overweight? And Chutney's right, in an effective regime the families would get a well-deserved visit from Social Services. Many years ago, when my lad was six or seven, one of his mates told me he hated going out with his Ma because she was always stuffing her face and so fat yet oblivious to the looks she got from other people that he witnessed. It made him embarrassed to be seen with her. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, quilp said:

The newsbite indicates around 20% of kids are obese or near-to, so it is quite a few.

Yeah, I don't believe that. Unless they never go out. 

Wrong type of diet, lack of proper exercise, kids sat in front of a games console. You don’t need consultants to point out society’s failings.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Wrong type of diet, lack of proper exercise, kids sat in front of a games console. 

A lot of slim kids fit that description. Do you need a consultant to point out why that is?