Jump to content

Stupid, naive or what


hissingsid
 Share

Recommended Posts

First we had Daphne Caine disappointed because she could not sit on the inquiry committee, she instigated, although her husband and brother in law work there and now we have Hooper lamenting the fact he has put himself in an untenable position regarding SAVE because he voted against the budget.   Have these people never heard on consequences?  I know they are both in the new batch of elected MHKs but surely .....l just fear for the future with this level of intelligence making important decisions.

l

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But have they been excluded/ expelled from these committees because they would be disruptive to achieving the goals or because they are being punished?

In Hoopers case, questioning the budget would seem to be the sort of person who would be good to find the 25mil savings that the committee seeks.

Quayle seems to have a short memory regards Wattersons opposition to a short time to question the budget.

Seems like a Govt machine closing ranks on dissent?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A clash of interests is a good reason not to have someone on a committee. That does not stop her from giving her opinion on the progress of the committee which she would be required ( if a member) to hold onto till the committee is ready to report.

In Hoopers case, the budget and the savings committee have separate remits and these are not mutually inclusive, the budget may increase child allowance, the committee may conclude that this should be 'means tested', that is not a clash but an expansion of ideas.

Edited by Kopek
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think another couple of points to throw into the mix?

Firstly, Hooper is an accountant by profession and should therefore be capable of crunching a few budgetary numbers and reaching a qualified conclusion.

Secondly, he is elected to serve the interests of his electorate. It would appear, rightly or wrongly, that he has been dismissed from his post for raising concerns (in voting against the Budget) at least partly connected to the above, if you follow my meaning..?

If they don't want an accountant on the SAVE committee, then what do they want..?

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

13 hours ago, hissingsid said:

First we had Daphne Caine disappointed because she could not sit on the inquiry committee, she instigated, although her husband and brother in law work there l

Next we'll be getting a farm boy Minister/MHK slipping landowners grants into Tynwald.

er....

Edited by gettafa
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, when I ran a team I would have no one on board that voted against my policies if they had disagreed in a private meeting that was acceptable and welcomed but to publicly demonstrate their non commitment that would not have been acceptable, the fact that he was an accountant does not impress they can make figures say anything to back their points of view up.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Well, when I ran a team I would have no one on board that voted against my policies if they had disagreed in a private meeting that was acceptable and welcomed but to publicly demonstrate their non commitment that would not have been acceptable... 

That's a very undemocratic approach Sid. The HoK needs more dissenters in the ranks. Manx politics would be better for it. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

...they can make figures say anything to back their points of view up.   

Presumably so could Treasury then? Doesn't make them right. Remember Eddie..?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Well, when I ran a team I would have no one on board that voted against my policies if they had disagreed in a private meeting that was acceptable and welcomed but to publicly demonstrate their non commitment that would not have been acceptable. 

But he didn't vote against the decisions of the team, just the Treasurer. Nor was it a demonstration of lack of commitment to the aims of the team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I think another couple of points to throw into the mix?

Firstly, Hooper is an accountant by profession and should therefore be capable of crunching a few budgetary numbers and reaching a qualified conclusion.

Secondly, he is elected to serve the interests of his electorate. It would appear, rightly or wrongly, that he has been dismissed from his post for raising concerns (in voting against the Budget) at least partly connected to the above, if you follow my meaning..?

If they don't want an accountant on the SAVE committee, then what do they want..?

A dummy who shuts the fuck up and collects the cheque at the end of the month.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Uhtred said:

A dummy who shuts the fuck up and collects the cheque at the end of the month.

But he hasn't shut the fuck up, has he? He's criticised Govt from a position of reasonable qualification and raised concerns about the Budget for some of the less well off which will include some of his own constituents.

He's entitled to do that, it's what he's there for.

As some sort of twisted "punishment", he's been sacked from a completely unrelated role.

On the basis of the above, speaks volumes for the governance of this Island.

I didn't see Alf Cannan loudly trumpeting that his Budget will still require a £40M draw from reserves for this year, either.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...