Albert Tatlock

Indeed, from link....

"Zappa:I've only heard four or five pieces by Schoenberg that I can enjoy listening to. There's the Septet, and then there's the suite of pieces for orchestra, the one that has "Summer Morning by the Lake" as one of the movements. I think that's really nice. And Begleitungsmusik: is a parody of motion picture music. I like that. But there's very little else by Schoenberg that I appreciate. And Berg - I like the "Lyric Suite," I like the - there's a piano solo piece, I think it's called Piano Sonata - it's an early piece. I like that. But, I tried to listen to Lulu. I couldn't do it. I had the album of Wozzeck. I could not get through it. I like Messiaen. Took me a while, but I like that music. He's colorful. But I must admit that the first Messiaen album that I ever got was an Angel recording of Chronochromie, and it baffled the snot out of me. I didn't know what to do with it. I could stay interested for about the first three minutes. I was going, "Whoa, a lot of percussion; that's interesting, but what is this?" It took me years before I could listen to that whole side of the album straight through."

• Like 2

You're a mine of information, and ta for the link. A brief look at the instrumentation and keys for each instrument, in 'Lulu', shows an obsession for symmetry of the composition, the shaping palindromes on the score sheet. Mirror-image stuff. Tremendous really, technically, but unlistenable, personally. The math makes sense but to me it's a formless cacophony with the timings; turning the general rudiments on their head and if Zappa says he just couldn't listen to it, well, says it all.

But on 'Shut Up And Play yer Guitar' especially, and other FZ compositions, he does almost the same thing in some passages, double-tracked riffs, one played in reverse over the other and tricks with timing on arpeggio runs. Long before sequencers and such. I can't stand five minutes of that album these days. What does he say...

Frank-Zappa-Quotes-3.jpg

I struggle with threads like this...

"Someone is doing something to their own body that doesn't impact me in any way, I don't like it and you should all know I don't like it"

.....ok then

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When printing customer's photographs we had some interesting close ups of a gentleman and his lady.

I knew who he was by the tattoos on his hand.

A lot of tattoos are in places the owner cannot see. Are they for the rest of us to admire?........not!

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

"Someone is doing something to their own body that doesn't impact me in any way, I don't like it and you should all know I don't like it"

.....ok then

Which is why they do it.

23 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

.....ok then

They should rename the thread to “I should learn to keep my nose out of things that don’t concern me”