Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Kevmeister

Allegedly “worthless” investment being pushed by high profile IOM residents

What’s not to like?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5460323/Critics-slam-Baroness-Mone-Doug-Barrowman-Bitcoin-venture.html

Handing your hard earned cash to a couple of multi millionaire tax exiles in a scheme that has been heavily slammed by John Mann MP, Labour member of the Commons' Treasury select committee who said: 'You would be better going off to the bookies than investing in this scheme.'

I remember reading something about them selling flats in Dubai for Bitcoins, maybe this is why they're making their own version of bitcoin? Who knows eh? 

You can guarantee at least one or two of our dimmer MHKs will be fawning over this opportunity and seeing it as a candidate for some grant scheme..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I might have read this wrong, but is she selling these coins to raise capital for her next business venture. 

However, unlike the conventional route, you don't get shares in the company (and therefore any assets it may have), just this currency. So any value those coins might have is what they can be exchanged for, which can go up and down, and they aren't actually backed by anything other than investor confidence that they will continue to hold  value. 

I find any bitcoin related stuff all bitdodgy. Wouldn't touch any bitcoin with a barge pole.

Established crypto currencies like Bitcoin, BCH, Litecoin or Ether are still high risk investments but at least the biggest ones have a commercial value and therefore are likely to stay and be used in some ways, reducing your risk of total loss and increasing your chances of positive gains. What Nora Knickers is doing, however, is an ICO and I would stay far, far, far, far, far away from it. As far as is humanely possible. Almost all ICOs fail or are outright scams. The flaws and risks are plentiful and there is absolutely positively no need for whatever shitty coin they or anyone else are launching. The only people getting rich from this are the ones launching the coin and because it's still a relatively unregulated space, they usually get away with taking all the money and doing a runner, or folding the project when it fails to gain traction, usually with total loss of all funds.

Again: stay the fuck away from ICOs.

11 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Established crypto currencies like Bitcoin, BCH, Litecoin or Ether are still high risk investments but at least the biggest ones have a commercial value and therefore are likely to stay and be used in some ways, reducing your risk of total loss and increasing your chances of positive gains. What Nora Knickers is doing, however, is an ICO and I would stay far, far, far, far, far away from it. As far as is humanely possible. Almost all ICOs fail or are outright scams. The flaws and risks are plentiful and there is absolutely positively no need for whatever shitty coin they or anyone else are launching. The only people getting rich from this are the ones launching the coin and because it's still a relatively unregulated space, they usually get away with taking all the money and doing a runner, or folding the project when it fails to gain traction, usually with total loss of all funds.

wasn't Ether tied to an ICO?

26 minutes ago, Bellefield said:

wasn't Ether tied to an ICO?

Most ICOs are based on Ethereum as its technology standard makes it easy to launch coins, but Ether itself (which technically also started as an ICO) is now a relatively established crypto currency.

48 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

And online gambling companies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So basically she is stood in front of the Dragons and is saying "I'd like £72,000 for 0% of my company and a bag of invisible coins." 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

But even the established crypto currencies started from nothing so why shouldn't this?

Shirt buttons for sale, get your shirt buttons here! Only a quid each, can only double in value (if you need a button in a hurry).

12 buttons equal a toggle, 56 toggles equals a zipper.*

Buy your 1st 12 buttons for a tenner (buttons may vary).

Research carried out by Sure and MT say these buttons will double in value in the next 361 days, with a button stamp issue being launched sometime in the future. ** Be first to get your shirt buttons here.

PM me for your very own shirt button.

100% guarantee *** you can use your button coin as a fastening if it all goes tits up and i move to Panama with your cash.

* zipper length and colour vary, zipper values go up and down.

** profit may vary depending on other button stamp issues when people realise what a great idea this is. Stamp issue may not actually happen.

*** sewing service not included.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Declan said:

So basically she is stood in front of the Dragons and is saying "I'd like £72,000 for 0% of my company and a bag of invisible coins." 

That’s how I read it. She and others get to keep 100% of the shares in the company with all the lovely money in it generated from selling coins, and everyone else gets a load of coins sold by the company probably worth the square route of bugger all in the long term.There really must be a lot of total idiots out there trying to get rich quick to fall for this sort of thing. It’s like the original dot.com boom but with even less substance as there is no actual trading or revenue stream underlying its just pure speculation on future price movements having paid a premium to participate. 

Edited by Kevmeister