Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

Shoprite, the last straw!

Recommended Posts

I've just been to Shoprite who have just terminated their clubcard system, which hadn't been worth the trouble of taking out of your wallet for some time. After scooting around for a quick sixty quid shop, I arrived at the checkout and the little Polish girl immediately started flashing my shopping past the till when I noticed there were no bags available. I asked her for a few and she pointed at a sign on the counter which said that from today, each bag would incur a 5p charge. Well, I now regret not just walking away and leaving my shopping on the conveyor but having been a customer there for donkeys years, I thought I'd give them a chance to rescind the cost. To no avail!

Now I understand that we are trying to reduce the number of plastic bags flying around the place but I object to the corporate greed of the directors of this local business. Their prices are dubious at times, their sell by dates are generally so close to expiry that stuff goes off in no time if you are not careful, their TT and MGP pricing is a scandal, and this is the final nail in their coffin as far as I'm concerned. I dispose of my bags responsibly, in fact most of the bags on the island are incinerated. This to my mind is simply a way of bluffing everyone that they are an environmentally friendly organisation. If they truly were they would use recycled paper bags!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I've just been to Shoprite who have just terminated their clubcard system, which hadn't been worth the trouble of taking out of your wallet for some time. After scooting around for a quick sixty quid shop, I arrived at the checkout and the little Polish girl immediately started flashing my shopping past the till when I noticed there were no bags available. I asked her for a few and she pointed at a sign on the counter which said that from today, each bag would incur a 5p charge. Well, I now regret not just walking away and leaving my shopping on the conveyor but having been a customer there for donkeys years, I thought I'd give them a chance to rescind the cost. To no avail!

Now I understand that we are trying to reduce the number of plastic bags flying around the place but I object to the corporate greed of the directors of this local business. Their prices are dubious at times, their sell by dates are generally so close to expiry that stuff goes off in no time if you are not careful, their TT and MGP pricing is a scandal, and this is the final nail in their coffin as far as I'm concerned. I dispose of my bags responsibly, in fact most of the bags on the island are incinerated. This to my mind is simply a way of bluffing everyone that they are an environmentally friendly organisation. If they truly were they would use recycled paper bags!

They say the 5p charge goes to charity. Fair enough, the when all the thin bags have gone they will be selling bags for life like Tesco and M&S

I wonder what would happen if I went in there with some of my Tesco bags instead ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I wonder what would happen if I went in there with some of my Tesco bags instead ?

Err, I'm going with nothing. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, La Colombe said:
4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I wonder what would happen if I went in there with some of my Tesco bags instead ?

Err, I'm going with nothing. 

You'll not be buying much then ;)

Edited by dilligaf
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I've just been to Shoprite who have just terminated their clubcard system, which hadn't been worth the trouble of taking out of your wallet for some time. After scooting around for a quick sixty quid shop, I arrived at the checkout and the little Polish girl immediately started flashing my shopping past the till when I noticed there were no bags available. I asked her for a few and she pointed at a sign on the counter which said that from today, each bag would incur a 5p charge. Well, I now regret not just walking away and leaving my shopping on the conveyor but having been a customer there for donkeys years, I thought I'd give them a chance to rescind the cost. To no avail!

Now I understand that we are trying to reduce the number of plastic bags flying around the place but I object to the corporate greed of the directors of this local business. Their prices are dubious at times, their sell by dates are generally so close to expiry that stuff goes off in no time if you are not careful, their TT and MGP pricing is a scandal, and this is the final nail in their coffin as far as I'm concerned. I dispose of my bags responsibly, in fact most of the bags on the island are incinerated. This to my mind is simply a way of bluffing everyone that they are an environmentally friendly organisation. If they truly were they would use recycled paper bags!

 

Bag for life dude, way to go.

Man-up Max, save the planet etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GD4ELI said:

 

Bag for life dude, way to go.

Man-up Max, save the planet etc.

The worst part is, I have about ten of them but keep forgetting to bring them with me!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Max Power said:

 having been a customer there for donkeys years,

If that's the case, I find it hard to believe that this has come as a surprise, they've been banging on about it for weeks. Doesn't make it right though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

If that's the case, I find it hard to believe that this has come as a surprise, they've been banging on about it for weeks. Doesn't make it right though. 

I just don't listen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shopped at Shoprite in Chester Street today , fortunately I had a couple of bags in my pocket, the lady informed me the bags were no longer free and the money was going to charity, by the card machine there was a lifeboat box so I assumed that was  the chosen charity at the present time.  I will miss the Shoprite bags because I do reuse them but heigh ho if it is going to the Lifeboat...no complaints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only problem I have with Shoprite is Robinsons. Why they didn't sack them and their stuff years ago is beyond me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, woolley said:

The only problem I have with Shoprite is Robinsons. Why they didn't sack them and their stuff years ago is beyond me.

Agreed.  The fruit is rotten by the time it’s home.  They have a good selection of fresh herbs, though, but they need to be used on the day of purchase.  I use Shoprite for red meat and their Waitrose products.  Paddy’’s fish stall is a sad sight, considering we are surrounded by the sea.

On the bagging front, I shall miss the free ones, but agree with Sir David that we need to cease.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The posters have been out in the shops for the past month so you might have known this was coming into force today ?

Tesco also charge for their bags?

Edited by swoopy2110

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What am I’m going to bag my rubbish up with now? Do I pay for carrier bags or buy bin liners instead? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Terminal said:

What am I’m going to bag my rubbish up with now? Do I pay for carrier bags or buy bin liners instead? 

They wouldn’t get away with it in Africa. Nobody would pay 5p to poo into a plastic bag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...