Red Squirrels

Mac the Knife

Interesting article in the Times of London today by Robin Page, about the demise of the Red Squirrel due to the invasion of the Grey Squirrel.

The last surviving habitats are the Isle of Wight and Scotland, although they have recently been successfully introduced in Tresco.

He has suggested in order to protect the species that two ideal locations  for introduction are Mull and the Isle of Man. 

I have little knowledge as to whether this is a good thing from the naturalist point of view, but if it has no adverse implications, what an excellent advertisement for the Isle of Man and it's naturalist credentials.

Comments please adverse or positive!.

Species come and go.  I don't believe in trying to (re)introduce species just for the sake of it.  Until it's done, we have no idea what negative consequences may ensue.  Red squirrels are universally thought of as cute, but that's just an image.  I doubt they have any more intrinsic merit to exist than the grey squirrel, the common rat [1], or any other rodent.

[1] Yes, I know I should say longtail.

Edited by wrighty
Superstitious rat guff
  • Thanks 2

They are not a native species to the IoM and neither are they a rare or endangered species so my simple view is no. The numbers have declined in the UK and Ireland but the numbers are still in six figures and they are common in many parts of Europe. If UK & Ireland want to encourage they should make a bigger effort to reduce the number of grey squirrels in the UK and habitat loss with regards to the reds.

We would be far better trying to encourage of declining native species such as stoats, weasels, hen harriers, or reintroduced species such as the Manx Hare or species that we have lost such as the white tailed eagle.

Wallabies may be cute but they should be humanely removed from the wild in the IoM

• Like 1

I would not claim to be an expert on this but I would believe the grey squirrel to be " a rat with a good P.R team". 

I understand that apart from spreading squirrel pox they cause untold damage to garden and woodland wildlife.

I further understand that the reproductiion of red squirrels is far less.

All, I am saying is that at least  the relevant  Government Department should at least investigate whether Mr Page's article has any merit? 

Definitely, it would be a great idea and I am all for it. Red squirrels are almost extinct in England now.  I would also like to see foxes, badgers, beaver and red deer introduced to Mannin. The Island is very low on fauna with most animals having been wiped out by humans at some point or another.

21 minutes ago, Butterflies said:

Definitely, it would be a great idea and I am all for it. Red squirrels are almost extinct in England now.  I would also like to see foxes, badgers, beaver and red deer introduced to Mannin. The Island is very low on fauna with most animals having been wiped out by humans at some point or another.

#votebeaver