Country Care Scheme. Could someone explain why they get the F*£"&*$ money

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course the island is never going to be self sufficient, lets not lose sight of the fact we are paying landowners taxpayers money for not producing anything, for merely looking after their own inter

The joke is subsidising farmers who then sell off-island.

I'm so glad that Gawney saved the island from 3rd World-type starvation. And could you imagine the embarrassment that he's saved the UK Govt too, from having the media streaming pictures into UK

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Just what is the money payed for(whats it supposed do} and why can I not know who is in recite and by how much.

I will probley wish I had never asked.

That’s a very good question, Mr/Mrs/Ms Buggane.  We have all. puzzled over why the money is paid and exactly who is in receipt.

• Like 2

It's origins are rooted in the EU - where else? They used to have subsidies for food production but that led to massive surpluses, beef and butter mountains, wine lakes etc. which was a bit of an embarrassment. The people getting the money were pretty important and powerful though, so they scratched their heads for a bit and came up with the brilliant solution of giving them the money anyway but not insisting on the agricultural production. Decoupling as they would call it. Voila! Problem solved. If we wanted to sell produce into Europe via Protocol 3 we had to follow this nonsense. But don't worry, it's only taxpayers' money.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Right after attempting to read and then make sense of information The Kevster pointed me to I am indeed sorry I asked. but still not sure why I am not allowed to know to whom and how much they recieved. The only hope is after brexit it will no longer need to be payed. I love the world I live in, with flying pigs and cotton candy clouds

The Countryside Care Scheme is about as far from the original intention of farming subsidies as you can possibly get, Gawne manipulated the intentions of the scheme to glory in landowners looking after their own property for the greater good or maybe simply for their greater good.

I have no problem at all with making a subsidy for the production of affordable and healthy food produced here, and making sure that the farmers so engaged have a decent standard of living ! However if landowners choose to leave food production and develop holiday homes, horse riding etc etc then their ownership of land is solely for their purposes !

To pay for the countryside to be kept tidy is a nonsense, if much of it were to be returned to nature the island would be a better place for wildlife and maybe tourism as well, neat manicured fields producing sweet fanny adams of any use to the population should not be subject to subsidy. It is interesting to note that this topic was just about the most commented on in the save initiative forum but did not even make it to be discussed. Its wrong on many levels, they know it we know it !!

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/21641/agriculture/farming-subsidies-in-the-uk/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, woolley said:

It's origins are rooted in the EU - where else? They used to have subsidies for food production but that led to massive surpluses, beef and butter mountains, wine lakes etc. which was a bit of an embarrassment. The people getting the money were pretty important and powerful though, so they scratched their heads for a bit and came up with the brilliant solution of giving them the money anyway but not insisting on the agricultural production. Decoupling as they would call it. Voila! Problem solved. If we wanted to sell produce into Europe via Protocol 3 we had to follow this nonsense. But don't worry, it's only taxpayers' money.

lol at your sad and desperate attempt to shoehorn a made up anti - EU / anti imaginary-elites angle . The UK govt has confirmed that, in the UK, equivalent policy will continue despite Brexit. Because it's essentially not connected with the EU per se (only that EU countries effectively co-ordinate). You could argue for a better way of doing things, as many are doing in the EU. But the policy exists for sensible reasons.

• Haha 1