Country Care Scheme. Could someone explain why they get the F*£"&*$ money

16 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

"Some 88% of the land mass on the Isle of Man is farmed or managed by farmers".... I'm afraid I find that statement by MFU incredibly hard to believe. 

I would like to invite the Secretary of MFU to walk with me around some of the green lanes and I'll show him field-upon-field that has neither been turned nor grazed. 

"Managed by farmers" thats the catch all open to interpretation phrase which needs replacing !  

• Like 2
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course the island is never going to be self sufficient, lets not lose sight of the fact we are paying landowners taxpayers money for not producing anything, for merely looking after their own inter

The joke is subsidising farmers who then sell off-island.

I'm so glad that Gawney saved the island from 3rd World-type starvation. And could you imagine the embarrassment that he's saved the UK Govt too, from having the media streaming pictures into UK

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

"Some 88% of the land mass on the Isle of Man is farmed or managed by farmers".... I'm afraid I find that statement by MFU incredibly hard to believe. 

I would like to invite the Secretary of MFU to walk with me around some of the green lanes and I'll show him field-upon-field that has neither been turned nor grazed. 

Is it something like £80 an acre they get to watch the grass grow, must be entertaining if you have a few hundred of them. Get rid of this and introduce grants for farm outbuildings

• Like 2
On 3/30/2018 at 12:34 PM, JOE450 said:

Is it something like £80 an acre they get to watch the grass grow, must be entertaining if you have a few hundred of them. Get rid of this and introduce grants for farm outbuildings

The rich landowners had a patsy in the shape of Phil Gawne as  the Agriculture Minister. They couldn't have asked for a better guy. He got them top notch money too.

Phil the farmer is a veritable folk hero throughout the agriculture shows and country bun fights.

It is an important lesson why you don't have such as a doctor as Health Minister, or a headmaster as Education Minister (although having a postman is taking the biscuit too far). 

Patsy Phil was simply too close to the landowners. He's certainly even closer now, that's for sure. I bet they must want to carry him should high around the Great Meadow every July.

Edited by gettafa
typo
  • Like 5
On 30/03/2018 at 2:04 PM, gettafa said:

The rich landowners had a patsy in the shape of Phil Gawne as  the Agriculture Minister. They couldn't have asked for a better guy. He got them top notch money too.

Phil the farmer is a veritable folk here throughout the agriculture shows and country bun fights.

It is an important lesson why you don't have such as a doctor as Health Minister, or a headmaster as Education Minister (although having a postman is taking the biscuit too far). 

Patsy Phil was simply too close to the landowners. He's certainly even closer now, that's for sure. I bet they must want to carry him should high around the Great Meadow every July.

What, step on that expensive grass at £80 acre, plus car parking fees

21 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

So why are the subsidies paid to farmers/ landowners?

Because they can.

ETA because a farmer got himself into a position of power that enabled him to dish it out to his mate's under the pretence  that we would all starve to death if we didn't.

Edited by finlo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It really is galling when we are stealth taxed in ever more cunning ways, and the MHK's bang on about value for money at every opportunity, as if they have suddenly seen the light about precious public money ! why none of them will stand up and question why this is done in secret and what value it gives the taxpayer ?

Manicured fields are not part of a natural 'biosphere' landscape, neither are holiday cottages, horse exercise yards and schooling buildings nor any of the other activities supported just because because they own the land. Support food production nothing else ! Of course this won't happen as not one of them has the cojones to stand up and ask how this scheme gives value for money !! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
9 hours ago, finlo said:

Because they can.

ETA because a farmer got himself into a position of power that enabled him to dish it out to his mate's under the pretence  that we would all starve to death if we didn't.

I'm so glad that Gawney saved the island from 3rd World-type starvation.

And could you imagine the embarrassment that he's saved the UK Govt too, from having the media streaming pictures into UK homes of an Ethiopia or Somalia-like situation right on the UK's own doorstep? Flotillas of dinghies full of starving refugees trying to make it to Lancs. and Merseyside.

Bob Geldof, Oxfam, Christian Aid and the UNHCR would have had their hands full trying to feed us all.

Very under-estimated was our Phil. I think be should be knighted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5