1 hour ago, guzzi said:

I assume they are down on the quayside because that is where the tanker berth is.  It would be interesting to see the risk assessment for the fuel depot, or at least re-assuring to know that one had been done.

I know that there is a water-mist drenching system around the depot that is regularly tested,  and that presumably came about as a risk-mitigation measure.

Whether the depot is adjacent to the tanker berth or remote from it and linked by pipelines, Douglas will still have whatever risk attaches to the operation of the tankers themselves and to the transfer ashore of their cargo. 

So for me, the thing to ask for from Gov first of all is that they publish the risk-assessment, if they haven't already.  This is the kind of area where we need good local journalism to keep us informed.

:lol:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, guzzi said:

Whether the depot is adjacent to the tanker berth or remote from it and linked by pipelines, Douglas will still have whatever risk attaches to the operation of the tankers themselves and to the transfer ashore of their cargo. 

So for me, the thing to ask for from Gov first of all is that they publish the risk-assessment, if they haven't already.  This is the kind of area where we need good local journalism to keep us informed.

Agree with you, as I've heard rumour of a disaster scenario document, and the likely impact that would have (predictions of "death zones" and the explosion reflecting back off the cliff face)  but my point (which admittedly I could have been clearer on!) was no consideration given in the harbours strategy to entirely mitigate that risk by also moving the tanker berth away from Douglas. 

Edited by b4mbi
2 hours ago, b4mbi said:

Agree with you, as I've heard rumour of a disaster scenario document, and the likely impact that would have (predictions of "death zones" and the explosion reflecting back off the cliff face)  but my point (which admittedly I could have been clearer on!) was no consideration given in the harbours strategy to entirely mitigate that risk by also moving the tanker berth away from Douglas. 

It would have been useful if they had at least evaluated the options. As it is they are intending only to increase the size of the tanker berth to accommodate larger vessels. I guess larger vessels = fewer vessel movements which probably reduces likelihood but increases potential impact in risk terms.

If you read the strategy, the only place where a new fixed deepwater breakwater is considered at all is Port St Mary.  None of the other harbours are suitable for major commercial development.

So we aren't exactly spoiled for choice.

Link to document: 

https://www.gov.im/media/1360793/harbours-strategy-gd-2018-0011.pdf

The resulting traffic chaos was handled very badly, if at all. They should have had the lights switched off at Quine's corner and a copper there and at the bottom of Railway hill directing traffic.

Shambolic. Cops there just standing looking when I went past.

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The resulting traffic chaos was handled very badly, if at all. They should have had the lights switched off at Quine's corner and a copper there and at the bottom of Railway hill directing traffic.

Shambolic. Cops there just standing looking when I went past.

They had two policemen at the bottom of Railway Hill...

1 hour ago, Chef Raekwon said:

I actually thought the traffic wasn't bad considering.  Most drivers were being considerate and letting people out of side junctions and whilst the traffic was moving very slowly, it was moving.  Genuinely added no more than 5-10 minutes to my journey.

The point was though...that people got paid to watch rather than help sort.

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The point was though...that people got paid to watch rather than help sort.

Well my point was that your description of "traffic chaos" was ridiculous hyperbole, because it was merely very busy. Which wasn't a surprise given the south quay was closed.

I saw the coppers doing fuck all on the roundabouts, but to be honest I'm not sure there was any need for them to get too involved as traffic seemed to be moving as well as it could in the circumstances.

I know some people love to paint everything over here as a shambles though so crack on. 

• Like 1