• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And yet we still need  £300,000 spending at the airport so less passengers suffer less delays £80,000,000 spending on the port to process less passengers £30,000,000 on the Liverpool do

Easy to increase visitor numbers - take control of the boats and discount ferry crossings massively. I suspect the SPC is the main reason for the decline as they have shareholders to answer to who are

And only last week we had Chris Thomas on here telling us how wonderfully attractive they're making the island to people!

Posted Images

we are manx thru and thru ...travel off the isladnd regularly but are still amazed at how busy flights off island are...even midweek.....the majority of passengers are manx.........so whilst airport numbers might be good island income must suffer with the spend off island

Just now, trench12 said:

we are manx thru and thru ...travel off the isladnd regularly but are still amazed at how busy flights off island are...even midweek.....the majority of passengers are manx.........so whilst airport numbers might be good island income must suffer with the spend off island

See government pension thread.

28 minutes ago, trench12 said:

Many going for hospital appointments..

Just now, Max Power said:

Many going for hospital appointments..

Perhaps so, but those travellers fly with FlyBe/Stobart who have the contract. The massive numbers of passengers to Gatwick and Liverpool with EasyJet, any day of the week, is astonishing.

Don't know how "representative" I am. I am retired early and have sufficient to live a "reasonable" lifestyle, definitely not extravagant. 

We rarely go out for meals on the IOM, only buy food and essentials when on the IOM. We spend some months a year in UK and Europe in our campervan where we regularly eat out and buy "special" clothes etc as always much cheaper off Island. The costs here are very high.

• Like 9

@ No Tail: Very representative, I would say. There are lots of people between 55 and 65 living on savings supplemented by pensions and not signing on. A while ago the government was wondering where they'd all got to. They're a bit slow on the uptake.

• Like 2

those we see do not seem to be on their way to hospital appointments ........gatwick flights are also well used ....someone from relevant department / local business forums ,needs to get down to airport and find out exactly why so many are travelling off isalnd to spend their money in uk rather than iom

• Like 1

Easy to increase visitor numbers - take control of the boats and discount ferry crossings massively. I suspect the SPC is the main reason for the decline as they have shareholders to answer to who are only interested in sweating their assets, and such a vital part of our economy and infrastructure should be owned by the people.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5
43 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Easy to increase visitor numbers - take control of the boats and discount ferry crossings massively. I suspect the SPC is the main reason for the decline as they have shareholders to answer to who are only interested in sweating their assets, and such a vital part of our economy and infrastructure should be owned by the people.

Says the Karl Marx of Ancoats!

46 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

We should at least have a controlling interest Stu. If the SPCo were suddenly to become a government department we'd have more Admirals than stokers!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

And yet we still need 

£300,000 spending at the airport so less passengers suffer less delays

£80,000,000 spending on the port to process less passengers

£30,000,000 on the Liverpool dock 

£11,000,000 on a cruise terminal

i genuinely fucking despair at how much managing a total decline in everything is costing the taxpayer to be ‘managed’ by people who are basically fucking clueless. 

All paid for by the DOI's magic money tree.