Globetrotter at it again

3 minutes ago, gettafa said:

How much money has Gawnio cost the non-millionaires of this Island?

However much it was it still failed to give him a leg up the ladder...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Which proved itself to be a pre cursor for good Government when exactly?

He is paying for the trip himself apparently. Though I'm not sure if it's coming from the £1million in farming grants we gave him or the £500k we're paying him to fuck things up for 5 years.

Just listend to the buffoon going on about all the meetings he has been having and how they will save the economy maybee not today as these things take time. but in thirty years you watch. Also allude

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, P.K. said:

However much it was it still failed to give him a leg up the ladder...

Still got his fingers in the pies to one degree or another though...

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, gettafa said:

How much money has Gawnio cost the non-millionaires of this Island?

phil?

As chairman and director of Manx Gaelic educational charity Mooinjer Veggey, former Infrastructure Minister and Rushen MHK Phil Gawne billed government for £451,142 (up from £329,252 in 2014-15) for services supplied. There was also £11,330 for services supplied by Southern Community Initiatives for which he is director.

On 25/04/2018 at 8:44 PM, Lost Login said:

Absolutely disgraceful of Quayle. How dare the Chief Minister when on a private holiday take time out and attend an event trying to drum up some interest in the Isle of Man. I hope he has learnt his lesson and next time states, go and take a hike I am on holiday, why should spend time trying sell the Isle of Man.

I appreciate you may not like Quayle which is fair enough. To criticise somebody for taking time out when on holiday trying to drum up business in the IoM I find mind boggling. That is the effing job of the Chief Minister according to Alan Bell, who in my view is the worst CM I can remember the Island has had. Basically Bell and his side kick Teare where a partnership made in hell.

What I would say though is that I am not sure the and the likes Miles Walker and Donald Gelling were really much better. They just had the advantage of lots of money coming into the Govt bank account so did not have any really difficult to decisions to make. They could just splash the cash. Look at this list of CM's Walker, Gelling, Corkill, Brown, Bell and Quayle. If we think HQ is the worst I suggest people have short memories. I am not suggesting he is brilliant or near the top of the list just that as time passes we forget what some of the others were like 

So, let me ask you this question. Did Mr & Mrs Quayle buy tickets to every Games event they attended as spectators, or did they magically acquire passes? I don't categorically know the answer, but suspect I know...let's face it, he hasn't got an unblemished record on this front has he? Of course he is not entirely to blame. He's inherited a highly developed and finely tuned culture of taking the piss with taxpayer's money. And, I do acknowledge that he is not alone on this score either.

Edited by Manx Bean
2 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

So, let me ask you this question. Did Mr & Mrs Quayle buy tickets to every Games event they attended as spectators, or did they magically acquire passes? I don't categorically know the answer, but suspect I know...let's face it, he hasn't got an unblemished record on this front has he? Of course he is not entirely to blame. He's inherited a highly developed and finely tuned culture of taking the piss with taxpayer's money. And, I do acknowledge that he is not alone on this score either.

Possibly an element of ‘do you know who I am’ to the Organising Committee of the Games, to gain tickets? I’ll be surprised if Manx Civil Servants weren’t involved in the run up to the CMs departure to Australia, organising events, meetings and photo opportunities. Perhaps I am being a little cynical?

12 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Perhaps I am being a little cynical?

That’s very difficult to achieve when the subject under discussion is Quayle.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 2112 said:

I’ll be surprised if Manx Civil Servants weren’t involved in the run up to the CMs departure to Australia, organising events, meetings and photo opportunities. Perhaps I am being a little cynical?

It isn't just Howard's lackeys. Every time I've worked in Government offices it seemed the civil servants do nought all day but surf the web looking for holiday deals and flights and stuff. Then spend the rest of the day drinking tea and talking to their colleagues about their holidays past, present and future.

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

To be honest I do not know and to be frank I do not care. If by the position he is in and the flak he has to take "they magically acquired passes" then goof look to them. I don't turn down invites from clients or professional forms etc to events they might invite me to nor if I have contacts to help me get tickets for an event, which I am prepared to pay for, am I against asking them if they can help me get tickets. If I had a member of a family in a show or in a team and they had an allocation of tickets or the rights to obtain I would not say no let me try the public ballot like everybody else. I would therefore be a hypocrite to expect a politician not to do be able to similarly. Just as long as it is not Govt paying for the tickets I am happy.

To a greater or larger extent it is what we expect are politicians to do, pull rank and favour. I have an issue at present. I could try to solve the issue myself but I know there is a better chance of my MHK getting a result so I have approached to resolve simply because of their position.

Whether we like it or not it is the way the world works. It is why if you are a famous name or name you are more likely to get an upgrade on a flight than us Joe Bloggs are.

• Thanks 1
On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, 2112 said:

HQ is entitled to a) have a holiday, and b) pay for it out of his own funds. To then say he has attended meetings etc in his capacity as Chief Minister is not acceptable. If he has minutes of the meetings and the outcomes fine, as one day it will be freely available. Any island resident who goes to Australia, USA or Canada on holiday, or any other destination, could in all fairness, arrange meetings on behalf of ‘IOMPLC’ and start making promises and pretend to be a ‘big noise’. 

I am not sure he said he had to attend but rather than he took time out of his holiday to attend.

I can just imagine your indignation if HQ had said "sorry, I am not going I am on holiday! You would be on hearing complaining about HQ caring so little for the people of the IoM that he could not be bothered accepting.

Kick and criticise HQ and politicians for the job they are or not doing and their policies but sometimes I get the feeing that posters don't like an individual and would criticise which ever option they took. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

I can only dummies that Lost login and hissingsid are in the same Lodge as Quayle...or work in the Cabinet Office..

Neither in my case and & I have no idea in respect of hissingsid. In this case I can just imagine the reaction if it emerged that HQ had refused an invite to represent the IOM at an event. There would have a lot of criticism and you would have been leading. and I would have probably agreed. You are complaining the Chief Minister when halfway around the world did not refuse an invite to represent the IoM at an event. As a basis for criticising somebody that seems mind boggling.

Some people did not want HQ as Chief Minister and do not like him. Fair enough everybody is entitled to an opinion but it seems that as a consequence they are looking at anything HQ does to see how they can use to have a go. At a fork in the road if he went left you would say he should have gone right and vice versa.

I contrast this with the lack of criticism of the two many want as CM in his place Thomas and Cannan. I never had a great opinion of Thomas as his main skill appeared to sound as if he was saying something of use by long waffling sentences and throwing into impressive sounding words. If you broke down it generally meant not a lot and did not answer the question. Only now are we starting to see a bit of criticism coming. For me he has been disappointing in his current position as I am not seeing him driving many changes. Similarly I don't hear much criticism of Cannan, OK he is miles better than Teare if only in attitude, but it appears more of the same.

The big issue facing the Island long term are pensions and meeting the public service wage bill. The two in the best position to start tackling are Thomas & Cannan but neither seem to be doing that much but as they were the blue eyed boys of many posters they almost seem exempt from comment.

25 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I contrast this with the lack of criticism of the two many want as CM in his place Thomas and Cannan. I never had a great opinion of Thomas as his main skill appeared to sound as if he was saying something of use by long waffling sentences and throwing into impressive sounding words. If you broke down it generally meant not a lot and did not answer the question. Only now are we starting to see a bit of criticism coming. For me he has been disappointing in his current position as I am not seeing him driving many changes. Similarly I don't hear much criticism of Cannan, OK he is miles better than Teare if only in attitude, but it appears more of the same.

The big issue facing the Island long term are pensions and meeting the public service wage bill. The two in the best position to start tackling are Thomas & Cannan but neither seem to be doing that much but as they were the blue eyed boys of many posters they almost seem exempt from comment.

I agree that Australia is a sideshow but there is no denying that Quayle is a very poor CM. Stumbling, ill-prepared and unconvincing in his public pronouncements/Tynwald, shallow and trite as evidenced by his reliance on cliche and bluster, and “that” video revealed the true Quayle...a man hopelessly out of his depth.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about Thomas (I posted on this topic a couple of days ago). From the off he’s been a empty vessel; simply full of impenetrable sound bites.

Cannan has been strangely quiet, but has lately driven the wholesale review of the health service (which itself has gone strangely quiet). I’d still have him as CM over Quayle 100% of the time.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Neither in my case and & I have no idea in respect of hissingsid. In this case I can just imagine the reaction if it emerged that HQ had refused an invite to represent the IOM at an event. There would have a lot of criticism and you would have been leading. and I would have probably agreed. You are complaining the Chief Minister when halfway around the world did not refuse an invite to represent the IoM at an event. As a basis for criticising somebody that seems mind boggling.

Some people did not want HQ as Chief Minister and do not like him. Fair enough everybody is entitled to an opinion but it seems that as a consequence they are looking at anything HQ does to see how they can use to have a go. At a fork in the road if he went left you would say he should have gone right and vice versa.

My point is that in reality he didn't just rock up and stumble across a Commonwealth Meeting whilst on holiday. These things are planned 12-18 months in advance -as I suspect was his "holiday"..

• Like 1