Jump to content

Globetrotter at it again


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Which proved itself to be a pre cursor for good Government when exactly?

He is paying for the trip himself apparently. Though I'm not sure if it's coming from the £1million in farming grants we gave him or the £500k we're paying him to fuck things up for 5 years.

Just listend to the buffoon going on about all the meetings he has been having and how they will save the economy maybee not today as these things take time. but in thirty years you watch. Also allude

Posted Images

Howard Quayle was not my first choice as CM but he is and doing the job as best he can and I would certainly trust him over Thomas or Cannan they have their own agendas, that is for sure,  for me there was no outstanding candidate when push came to shove, Bell got the same treatment when he was CM and it achieves nothing. FYI  I do not, never have been fortunate enough to be a government employee and be enjoying a golden pension , if we knew how things were going to turn out would we not have gone for the dull and not great pay all those years ago, funny how things turn out, and I do not belong to any lodge or organisations at all, I just like to believe people are doing their best whatever the circumstances and Manx crab is a very unattractive thing to subscribe to unfortunately it seems to thrive on the Island, must be the climate, perhaps if canabis is legalized all these angry people will chill.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Howard Quayle was not my first choice as CM but he is and doing the job as best he can and I would certainly trust him over Thomas or Cannan they have their own agendas, that is for sure,  for me there was no outstanding candidate when push came to shove, Bell got the same treatment when he was CM and it achieves nothing. FYI  I do not, never have been fortunate enough to be a government employee and be enjoying a golden pension , if we knew how things were going to turn out would we not have gone for the dull and not great pay all those years ago, funny how things turn out, and I do not belong to any lodge or organisations at all, I just like to believe people are doing their best whatever the circumstances and Manx crab is a very unattractive thing to subscribe to unfortunately it seems to thrive on the Island, must be the climate, perhaps if canabis is legalized all these angry people will chill.

 

I’m astonished that you think Quayle is a superior choice to Cannan. Just listen to their respective performances in Tynwald. Cannan sounds like a well informed adult, Quayle sounds as if he has a brain injury.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I’m astonished that you think Quayle is a superior choice to Cannan. Just listen to their respective performances in Tynwald. Cannan sounds like a well informed adult, Quayle sounds as if he has a brain injury.

I also thought at the time Quayle was the best of the candidates available. OK it was not necessarily a particularly great field to choose from since many were new to the House of Keys at the last election. Just look at the current list of ministers, they together with Robertshaw and Beecroft are basically those who had been MHK's previously ate therefore the potential runners.

I expect Cannan to be the next Chief Minister, again there is presently not a great deal of "talent" on display unless one of the new members becomes a minister and shines in the meantime. The reason why I would not have elected Cannan at the time was I don't believe he had been a minister and personally I always would always like to prospective CM candidate lead a department first.  By default that really left Quayle as the best option of a not overly inspiring bunch. If Cannan had done a half decent job as a Minister then I may well be agreeing with you. It is totally academic as I don't have a vote on the matter. 

Edited by Lost Login
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

I also thought at the time Quayle was the best of the candidates available. OK it was not necessarily a particularly great field to choose from since many were new to the House of Keys at the last election. Just look at the current list of ministers, they together with Robertshaw and Beecroft are basically those who had been MHK's previously ate therefore the potential runners.

I expect Cannan to be the next Chief Minister, again there is presently not a great deal of "talent" on display unless one of the new members becomes a minister and shines in the meantime. The reason why I would not have elected Cannan at the time was I don't believe he had been a minister and personally I always would always like to prospective CM candidate lead a department first.  By default that really left Quayle as the best option of a not overly inspiring bunch. If Cannan had done a half decent job as a Minister then I may well be agreeing with you. It is totally academic as I don't have a vote on the matter. 

And Quayle did what as Health Minister !!!! Zero ,nothing ! And subjected us to that low life Charters ! Mind you he did have a Harley ! quote Quayle !! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure Howard Quayle himself couldn't quite believe he got re-elected let alone become Chief Minister (like most of us).

It is a mighty powerful position and he is using that power to protect his ilk.

And the civil servants know which side their bread is buttered. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Uhtred said:

I’m astonished that you think Quayle is a superior choice to Cannan. Just listen to their respective performances in Tynwald. Cannan sounds like a well informed adult, Quayle sounds as if he has a brain injury.

At least Howard is Manx.

I don't like him, but I like Cannon even less.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

And Quayle did what as Health Minister !!!! Zero ,nothing ! And subjected us to that low life Charters ! Mind you he did have a Harley ! quote Quayle !! 

As Health Minister Quayle got things wrong, including Charters, but I doubt it is solely down to any minister who is employed by the civil service at a senior level. If you are going to make HG solely responsible for Charters then I presume you give him sole credit for getting Couch to take the position as I thought that was a good move.

With Quayle I think there is a lot of blinkered thinking based on just dislike but I think he has done an OK job in both positions although there have been mistakes. In health at least he recognised that the current model does not work and is not affordable and that we try and move to a more preventable model of healthcare such as the Canterbury model and articulated why the health service need to change. OK that may not be the right path and money may have been wasted but at least he was prepared to say and do decisions that are potentially unpopular because changes need to be made. In recent Governments we have had a succession of ministers including, Anderson, Beecroft who basically just basically tried to tinker around with the budget to see if we can try and make it fit. I never thought I would say this but Ashford similarly actually appears to be trying to do something rather than just let matters drift whilst picking up a pay packet. 

I would not give HQ high marks but we have had plenty of senior politicians in recent years who have really just let matters drift and I prefer to see somebody who at least appears to recognise a problem and try start to make changes even if they are unpopular and wrong at times. Unless you are prepared to try things and willing to accept mistakes nothing will ever change so I will support people even where I disagree with action they might propose if I can see what they are trying to do and understand their reasoning even if on the same facts I might come to a different conclusion. That is not exactly a ringing endorsement of HQ as health minister but simply a recognition that as health minister HQ tried to do something about the costs and provision of health services something which many of his predecessors did not. It should also be remember that the department was/is a bit of a poisoned chalice as it is one you send your political opponents  to damage their popularity.

As CM whilst their little that possible can be done at least he recognises potential impact of Brexit and the changes that EU, OECD want to bring in that might affect out offshore financial industries. Can he do much to affect, probably not but at least if he keeps banging the drum there is a chance we will not be forgotten about unlike when we came in. Anything that can be gained is better than nothing. I have to admit I am disappointed with the current govt as I had hoped that they would have taken a tougher stance on addressing pension and other issues and whilst that ultimately that rests with HQ I would have expected more from Cannan and Thomas on the issue. Especially from Cannan as the Treasury is really where the power lies within the Govt. Where I will give HQ credit is that at least there appears to be a much better and open relationship in the HoKs now compared to Bell and Teare who basically appeared to consider they never had to answer any questions and treated members with apparent contempt. At least the current house appear to be trying to work together, whilst still asking questions, unlike the previous one which just appeared to be about petty squabbling and point scoring.

Am I a big supporter of HQ? In my view no, I am pretty neutral in that he has done OK and I really struggle to see the alternatives. I am just trying to reflect that in my view there are not many alternatives, Robertshaw, Beecroft, Thomas, Skelly, Cannan, and I don't see in that lot an obvious better candidate. Cannan might be the only one and that we are looking with rose tinted glasses if we think Bell, Brown etc were a class above

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Uhtred said:

I’m astonished that you think Quayle is a superior choice to Cannan. Just listen to their respective performances in Tynwald. Cannan sounds like a well informed adult, Quayle sounds as if he has a brain injury.

Chief Minister of a special place

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lost Login said:

 

Am I a big supporter of HQ? In my view no, I am pretty neutral in that he has done OK and I really struggle to see the alternatives. I am just trying to reflect that in my view there are not many alternatives, Robertshaw, Beecroft, Thomas, Skelly, Cannan, and I don't see in that lot an obvious better candidate.

 

I s'pose the young fella Watterson would have been well in the frame but he can save it for another time.

Now...where's that thread that TJ got locked....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaker Watterson has denied that he will stand for the CM role, but I reckon he'll attempt a last minute Hovis type move to seize the crown

Hopefully new rules to make candidates declare themselves well ahead will be passed in Tynwald

Link to post
Share on other sites

but, but, but, there's STILL too many of them. ...........Should be.........No MLCs..................10MHKs................many, many less management post in civil service and Police and Hospital and schools..................Once again, there are only 80,000 souls supposedly, permanently residing on the Island.............less all of those whose aim in life is to benefit from tax laws and do as much as they can to only 'live' as short a while as possible within each financial year.............IMO

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...