Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
hissingsid

Illegal fishing

So they have caught a few and fines have been issued to me it just proves how many are getting away with it. Such a pity Phil the clueless gave away the other boat , we could have really gone to town and given them a right doing over.   The latest lot apparently had switched off the device which allows our lot to place them that should have warranted a ban for the season that is double naughty, when you see the money involved in one catch they can well afford to pay the odd fine.   The only way to sort this lot out is , a ban for a considerable time, or consficated their equipment and a ban, Minister Boot has got to get tough, he caught the flack for backing down but it was Howard's doing although with the poisoned dwarf not many would succeed.

The report said they were using illegal gear, when will OUR legislators LEGISLATE for OUR fishing industry by reducing the boat size with no get out clauses and rewrite the penalties to be levied if caught in Manx waters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I doubt the fines will put them off

• Thanks 1

They did try to make it mandatory for the boats to have to have the catch checked on Island if they had been fishing in Manx waters but Nicola got involved and persuaded Howard this was not necessary, he backed down and we are where we are, seabeds being raped by illegal means.   Time to say ..well we tried to be reasonable and it ain't working so guess what it is back to the original plan.  For every one boat that is being caught there are loads getting away with it the Barrule cannot be everywhere, and if they are switching the tracking systems off like the last lot what chance have we got.   I have been lead to believe that over 100 vessels can be fishing at any one time.   With the austerity measures that are being taken I do not think we can afford to see our assets being stolen. They are laughing at us.

• Like 6

It is disgraceful, people get into trouble for catching trout in the wrong river over here, yet these sea rapists come over and take what ever they want. How is that OK?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hissingsid said:

So they have caught a few and fines have been issued to me it just proves how many are getting away with it. Such a pity Phil the clueless gave away the other boat , we could have really gone to town and given them a right doing over.   The latest lot apparently had switched off the device which allows our lot to place them that should have warranted a ban for the season that is double naughty, when you see the money involved in one catch they can well afford to pay the odd fine.   The only way to sort this lot out is , a ban for a considerable time, or consficated their equipment and a ban, Minister Boot has got to get tough, he caught the flack for backing down but it was Howard's doing although with the poisoned dwarf not many would succeed.

Link please ?

8 hours ago, La Colombe said:

Sea pillagers is probably better if you want to keep an implied Viking bent on things. 

You’ll not mock when there are no herring to go with the spuds and there’s a potato famine, will ye? Ye? Whatever :)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, thebees said:

It is disgraceful, people get into trouble for catching trout in the wrong river over here, yet these sea rapists come over and take what ever they want. How is that OK?

Yesterday I watched the Onward from Kilkeel unload at PSM. It seemed to me they had done well. Presumably they had been dragging to the South of the island somewhere?

A quick question to the professional fishermen/women amongst MF readers:  Does the latest set of EU regulations regarding by-catch apply to boats in Manx waters?  If so, will this require the counting and recording of catches in a Manx port?