Road Safety Consultation

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why, oh why, do we have to copy the UK?  One of the joys of living here used to be that we were a little bit different to the mainland in attitude and still held some common-sense laws on the statute

Are you sure you wouldn't be happier living in, say, Croydon? You could have all the rules you like there.

"95% of collisions are caused by driver error"  =factual evidence, backed up by a large amount of professional experience. 

Posted Images

.....although I have completed a dialogue statement I don't for a minute believe that my contribution will have any effect whatsoever and not just  because my views were not politically correct..............very sad that I believe many, many other people will feel the same way..............( if it doesn't agree with the pre-ordained attitude, throw it in the bin)..................

• Like 3

it'll come to nothing other than 'we consulted, here are the results, and I still get paid every month for compiling survey results from surveys we keep running for no reason other than to keep me in a job doing surveys'.

Is this another box ticking exercise after which they will ignore all input and do what the hell they want anyway? (rhetorical question by the way?

In fairness, the discussions I've had so far seem to be pointing towards adopting the Safe Systems approach. I think the consultation methodology that has been employed will result in a lot of 'tactical' stuff, and have no real bearing. I'd encourage folk on here to contribute with some of the deeper thinking that prevails, on stuff that can really make a strategic difference. 

• Haha 1

... Or the 'snowflakes'.

It is as clear as a clear thing that the principal cause of the majority of road safety issues is simply people driving too fast. But this is the Island of speed, so we can't do anything about it.

If I had my way, of which there is not a chance in hell because there is not one politician who is brave enough to face the unpopularity it would bring, I would introduce speed cameras, this would cut down on accidents, thus taking a lot of pressure of the hospitals, and with all the money collected in fines from the boy racers, who would subsequently have less to spend on drugs, I would divide it between the Health Service and the DOI.    This would relieve pressure on our Health Service and improve the roads.  Stipulation would be the amount given would be spent on only improvement of roads and footpaths.     It is a dream that will never happen of course.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

If I had my way, of which there is not a chance in hell because there is not one politician who is brave enough to face the unpopularity it would bring, I would introduce speed cameras, this would cut down on accidents, thus taking a lot of pressure of the hospitals, and with all the money collected in fines from the boy racers, who would subsequently have less to spend on drugs, I would divide it between the Health Service and the DOI.    This would relieve pressure on our Health Service and improve the roads.  Stipulation would be the amount given would be spent on only improvement of roads and footpaths.     It is a dream that will never happen of course.

This is the way they have to start thinking HS. Average Speed Cameras have changed the game in the UK, but its just part of the solution. No civilised society can accept anything other than a zero target for road traffic fatalities. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Derek F. '' ...No civilised society can accept anything other than a zero target for road traffic fatalities.  ''

Except for the TT and MGP periods???

Sorry to derail the thread but that needed to be said.

Are not the Uk rolling backi their speed cameras because they are regarded as a revenue raising exercise and not necessarily increasing safety?

Edited by Kopek
  • Like 2

This Statistics idea is an interesting discussion. Of course, we know form Wrighty's contributions on MF that these statistics are probably woefully optimistic as once the visiting casualties are flown away to off island hospitals we hear no more about them. I'd bet that quite a few of them subsequently die or are confined to beds for the rest of their lives. So a pinch of salt there for me I'm afraid. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Are not the Uk rolling backi their speed cameras because they are regarded as a revenue raising exercise and not necessarily increasing safety?

Having been on a number of UK roads recently, "A" roads and motorways, it is rare that speeds could even come close to being in excess of the limits in force. It would be nice if you could actually increase your speed to the figure on the restriction sign.....

......incidents, accidents, road works etc....

.......and don't mention potholes. Sefton Street in Liverpool is at least as bad as the Prom was before the resurfacing. (Heading south/north from/to the Pier Head). The M6, both north and south, through the road works areas, have horrendous holes in the middle lane, where the original lane markings were erased and filled in, and the fillings have all dropped out.

IOM roads are wonderful in comparison!

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

In fairness, the discussions I've had so far seem to be pointing towards adopting the Safe Systems approach. I think the consultation methodology that has been employed will result in a lot of 'tactical' stuff, and have no real bearing. I'd encourage folk on here to contribute with some of the deeper thinking that prevails, on stuff that can really make a strategic difference. 

The Manx crabs on here have as much depth as an ant's swimming pool (the shallow end).   Complain when they aren't consulted, complain when they are.

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Derek F. '' ...No civilised society can accept anything other than a zero target for road traffic fatalities.  ''

Except for the TT and MGP periods???

Sorry to derail the thread but that needed to be said.

Average speed cameras are a lot fairer rather than gatsos stuck in obtuse places. And TT/MGP have to have the same safety standards applied . The Article 2 responsibilities of Government don’t diminish during those 4 weeks...