Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
La Colombe

Speeding Fine

Plus penalty points. I suspect this one will split opinion considering the circumstances, but I think the right message has been sent out here really. Those sort of speeds are dangerous enough even with lights and sirens activated on an emergency vehicle but without them is just not appropriate. 9 points is a bit over the top though, there was no real harm done after all. 

1 minute ago, La Colombe said:

Plus penalty points. I suspect this one will split opinion considering the circumstances, but I think the right message has been sent out here really. Those sort of speeds are dangerous enough even with lights and sirens activated on an emergency vehicle but without them is just not appropriate. 9 points is a bit over the top though, there was no real harm done after all. 

Should have been quietly ignored. It certainly would have been here.

One can only hope that one of these magistrates has need of a paramedic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well over the top, typical small minded island mentality in bringing the case to court. The magistrates probably have sentencing guidelines but also seem to have applied the upper end of the scale! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lights and sirens are not for speed. They are there to alert and make progress. Speed limits are there for a purpose, road surface, viewing limits, layouts and many more things.

Driving with blues and woos enables a driver to make use of some road traffic exemptions, passing red traffic lights, making progress in speed restricted areas, lane restrictions (left/right turn lanes and the like), roads closed areas. Several still count, double white lines, stop line markings, train gates, stop lines at temporary road works (if painted on the road), and in some cases, keep left or right bollards.

Driving without making make use of these exceptions, no blues and woos, makes you the same as gran going off to do your shopping. All rules apply.

I have been driven in, and drove with blues, making progress in a 30 zone means 30 if everyone is yielding to give you safe space to progress. 10mph over is ample to make progress in many circumstances.

Blue light haze does no one any favours.

Commonsense would have pulled the driver over...warned him about the rules after learning what was going on...and letting him proceed.

Cops just love the low hanging fruit here to up their stats.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Well over the top, typical small minded island mentality in bringing the case to court. The magistrates probably have sentencing guidelines but also seem to have applied the upper end of the scale! 

Agree all it’s done is put a life saving paramedics license at risk and maybe cost him his job. Typical small minded twats. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Double the speed limit is often an automatic ban so it could be argued that a little leniency has been shown here. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Lights and sirens are not for speed. They are there to alert and make progress. Speed limits are there for a purpose, road surface, viewing limits, layouts and many more things.

Driving with blues and woos enables a driver to make use of some road traffic exemptions, passing red traffic lights, making progress in speed restricted areas, lane restrictions (left/right turn lanes and the like), roads closed areas. Several still count, double white lines, stop line markings, train gates, stop lines at temporary road works (if painted on the road), and in some cases, keep left or right bollards.

Driving without making make use of these exceptions, no blues and woos, makes you the same as gran going off to do your shopping. All rules apply.

I have been driven in, and drove with blues, making progress in a 30 zone means 30 if everyone is yielding to give you safe space to progress. 10mph over is ample to make progress in many circumstances.

Blue light haze does no one any favours.

are you sure about that?

3 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Double the speed limit is often an automatic ban so it could be argued that a little leniency has been shown here. 

Leniency would have been to do what Albert suggested...

What exactly does the conviction accomplish apart from possible inter emergency service bitterness?

You'd think that the emergency services would want to pull together, not jeopardise relations.

I'm not advocating carte blanch arse covering but FFS, they guy's going to be an advanced driver, he'll be more equipped to speed than most people and as far as I can tell, he's doing it for a noble reason, not just for kicks.

1 minute ago, PottyLisa said:

What exactly does the conviction accomplish apart from possible inter emergency service bitterness?

You'd think that the emergency services would want to pull together, not jeopardise relations.

I'm not advocating carte blanch arse covering but FFS, they guy's going to be an advanced driver, he'll be more equipped to speed than most people and as far as I can tell, he's doing it for a noble reason, not just for kicks.

Then he's let off and people complain of favouritism. According to the original report he was on his way to a meeting not attending someone who had been injured

• Like 1