Shopshite Chester Street

Like it Douglas Borough Corporation and not the asshole rebranding as a council do they not realise as a council they can not collect rates or charges and have to rely handouts from Goverment. Any way back to the story, DBC wanting to rip out pay and display and introduce extreamly expensive NPR system with its barriers and ludicros pay machines. Will not say how much it costs per annum. And replace the one man/woman to go checking pay and display tickets  on £12:00 per hour to save money oh and the £300,000 start up money for the system+instalation. The gov told them to go fuck themselves maybee this is why Mcnichol is upset

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Between the DOI and Douglas Corpy the only successful thing they have done for the Manx economy and retail sector in the last 20 years has been to be so utterly incompetent at everything they’ve done

Tactics are obvious  1. Prom plans are shit but they’re hellbent on doing it as civil servants can’t admit they’re shit 2. Too much parking is being taken out because they’re basically idiot

When it was built, [Cattle] Market Street ended at the Greeba Works, it extended as Back Strand Street, across Well rd Hill to Wellington Square, later it was rerouted and renamed Market Street. Chest

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Max Power said:

Sadly, that is just what puts me off the whole area. I associate the supermarket with the smell of piss on the stairwell and in the lift. That should really be one of the easiest things to sort out?

Could be because its a 24 hour car park and there are no toilets except on the ground floor. 

The stairs and sometimes the lift is used as a toilet :-(

M&S doesnt have this issue as AFAIK its closed at night ?? or is it open 24 hours now..

I remember going for a work do at the laughing buddha a few years ago and had to leave my car in the car park overnight as it was closed when I came back at around 9 PM.

2 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Could be because its a 24 hour car park and there are no toilets except on the ground floor. 

The stairs and sometimes the lift is used as a toilet :-(

M&S doesnt have this issue as AFAIK its closed at night ?? or is it open 24 hours now..

I remember going for a work do at the laughing buddha a few years ago and had to leave my car in the car park overnight as it was closed when I came back at around 9 PM.

The Corpy run carpark in Drumgold Street that has nothing at all to do with M&S closes an hour after the store 

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

The Corpy run carpark in Drumgold Street that has nothing at all to do with M&S closes an hour after the store 

Who cleans it? Long time ago now but when I worked there for Rentokil-Initial we provided janitorial and cleaning services in the store and also in the car park which was then DoLGE...The contract was with M&S, we had a base in there and we used the M&S staff catering and got to buy cheap goodies at the end of the day. In addition we collected the trolleys and cleaned the toilets in the car park every hour. We also machine blasted the concrete round the car park and other tidying jobs. So effectively M&S were paying for the car park to be cleaned and tidied. I think someone but not me went round the car park after the store had closed. I think I am right in saying that M&S funded the car park as the price of getting planning permission to build the store and which is quite the usual custom in the town planning consultancy business.

3 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:
1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Who cleans it? Long time ago now but when I worked there for Rentokil-Initial we provided janitorial and cleaning services in the store and also in the car park which was then DoLGE...The contract was with M&S, we had a base in there and we used the M&S staff catering and got to buy cheap goodies at the end of the day. In addition we collected the trolleys and cleaned the toilets in the car park every hour. We also machine blasted the concrete round the car park and other tidying jobs. So effectively M&S were paying for the car park to be cleaned and tidied. I think someone but not me went round the car park after the store had closed. I think I am right in saying that M&S funded the car park as the price of getting planning permission to build the store and which is quite the usual custom in the town planning consultancy business.

That is not how I understand it, but I stand to be corrected.

16 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

..............if the NPR system at St Paul's square is anything to go by we had a good escape...............

I don’t understand what people’s problem with this is. You drive up, press a button, take your ticket and the barrier lets you in. On the way out if both cameras read your number plate correctly it opens automatically to let you out. If it doesn’t open, put your ticket under the laser and it opens. What’s hard about that? I’ve been through hundreds a of times and never had a problem, although I did see the barrier come down on someone’s car once but that was their own fault for stopping under it. 

• Like 1

I've been through tens of times and around  1/3 of the time the entry box has been taped up and the gate open. The exit electronics are fussy too. Sometimes the far box works and sometimes the near box works and sometimes the barrier is already open....................nowhere near reliable enough I'm afraid..............I have no axe to grind, that's how I find it............

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Is there anywhere you haven't cleaned on this Island, Bazza?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, woolley said:

Most places outside Douglas in fact.

But in Douglas working for Strand Cleaners, Farmhill Cleaners, Rentokil-Initial, Serena Security, Safeways my own account, on location with film companies and one or two firms I have forgotten about no, not many places I have not cleaned in Douglas, and/or been a nightwatchman in or held the keys and alarm codes for. 

So many, such as Deemsters' offices, law library, the new Nobles before it opened. The Nurse Education Centre old and new, Steampacket, Manx Telecom, Boots chemist, M&S, Villa Marina, High Court, Cells under the High Court, Government Offices, Castle Mona, some of the big hotels, what used to be the Hilton/Palace, Colours night club as was, Jaks, private houses, too many to say, you get taken to so many and then moved on to others, 24/7...

One of the schools Scoill Valajeelt whatever it is, the old Royal Bank of Scotland in Victory House , Victory House itself, Hillary House, a few car parks, builder's merchants on Peel Road ditto up at Douglas Head. Cells under the Old Court House, some club called Havana I think, Mount Murray hotel and the swimming baths/golfing/changing room area. Got funny looks from the late Gubay who had me on hands and knees clipping the threads sticking up through threadbare carpeting, the bus garage, Lloyd's TSB cleaning and front desk at times. Lotta finance sector and CSP providers in odd corners around Douglas...

Hey, just think "Yellow pages" for Douglas and have done with it!

If only certain people knew some of the places I have been left alone in!

Outside Douglas certain film locations included Cregneash, Castletown, Castle Rushen, Peel Castle, Laxey, the Nunnery...Bit spooky some of them on your own at night especially Castle Rushen, Peel castle and the Nunnery.

Oh, it is (or was in my case twelve years ago) a fine life in the First Battalion Her Majesty's Royal Bog Squad! Enlist now and see Douglas. The girls can't resist a man in a uniform! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, woolley said:

Be careful what you ask for. Bazza clearly doesn’t  understand a rhetorical question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3