Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
joebean

Population Policy and yet more Thomas waffle

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

38 years ago Tynwald was expressing concern that by 2001 the local population could hit 90,000 without the infrastructure to support it (source, Manx Museum) :lol:

The new hospital was built with a projected population of 120,000 in mind I believe? It’s great that we have geared up to provide services to people who never came here. 

"And now we know it is. 4th oldest population, apparently."

is this real or fake news ??

Over the last few years we have appeared at around number 11 or 12 in the world list ....how can we suddenly have jumped to no 4 unless a very high percentage of young people have suddenly left the Island, in which case there is an enormous problem to have suddenly caused this sort of result

9 minutes ago, MrPB said:

The IOM Bank has already moved according to the letter I got the other week. Yes they like to look after locals down there I believe. 

Could we grow Conister with expanded services to replace it, probably be more money for them so worth it in theory.

3 minutes ago, MrPB said:

The new hospital was built with a projected population of 120,000 in mind I believe? It’s great that we have geared up to provide services to people who never came here. 

And in the case of the hospital we seem to have replaced the missing patient numbers with management jobs?

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, emesde said:

"And now we know it is. 4th oldest population, apparently."

is this real or fake news ??

Over the last few years we have appeared at around number 11 or 12 in the world list ....how can we suddenly have jumped to no 4 unless a very high percentage of young people have suddenly left the Island, in which case there is an enormous problem to have suddenly caused this sort of result

I take pretty much anything they say as fake or agenda driven now.

Maybe they did their research during Reading/Leeds fest.

Or maybe they just let more old people in.

Edited by Lagman

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

And in the case of the hospital we seem to have replaced the missing patient numbers with management jobs?

Sadly yes, I’ve find myself getting very disillusioned of late. Been dealing with a relative who has had to pay out literally thousands of pounds he can’t afford to get private consultations for things he has paid 50 years worth of NI for which he should be getting for free. But if he waited for NHS services he’d probably be dead right now. Then you see the mile long fleet of Admin workers who clearly don’t give a toss from the way they deal with people bailing out of there at 4:30 everyday clogging up half of Braddan. It makes me sick. I actually think this place has had it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, Lagman said:

I take pretty much anything they say as fake or agenda driven now.

Maybe they did their research during Reading/Leeds fest.

Or maybe they just let more old people in.

Positively encouraged the elderly here in the 70's now it's biting them in the arse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, finlo said:

Positively encouraged the elderly here in the 70's now it's biting them in the arse.

And the Manx elderly who have paid into the system all their lives seem to be even further back to the end of the queue too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, finlo said:

Or going as planned, causing the problem to give them the excuse to keep upping the population.

5 minutes ago, MrPB said:

And the Manx elderly who have paid into the system all their lives seem to be even further back to the end of the queue too. 

Not just the elderly, how many have payed nothing in until they got here and get the same service?

7 minutes ago, Lagman said:

Not just the elderly, how many have payed nothing in until they got here and get the same service?

Yes I agree. We are now second class citizens in our own country. New workers arriving here get a 12 month NI break and their employer gets their relocation expenses paid. I’ve had sod all for 30 years except paying tax and NI at the full rate for almost nothing. I’m starting to feel like a right mug. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Yes I agree. We are now second class citizens in our own country. New workers arriving here get a 12 month NI break and their employer gets their relocation expenses paid. I’ve had sod all for 30 years except paying tax and NI at the full rate for almost nothing. I’m starting to feel like a right mug. 

3 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I’ve had sod all for 30 years except paying tax and NI at the full rate for almost nothing

Not exactly correct, you've also had the toilet tax now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lagman said:

Not exactly correct, you've also had the toilet tax now.

Yes that too. Trying not to get wound up but the last few weeks seeing the disgusting way we provide (non-existent) care to people who have paid into the system for their entire lives has hit me. Yet we now give NI breaks to e-gaming people who will stay here at most 3 or 4 years and pay almost nothing in. This government has lost all its values. It’s even sold out it’s own residents in an attempt to keep its own pensions in payment. It’s literally disgusting. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, finlo said:

People who were elderly in the 70s are long dead!

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

People who were elderly in the 70s are long dead!

Since the 70's might have been more accurate.