Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

Is there anyone on island who is authorised to carry out repairs on ASUS laptops without invalidating the warranty?  We seem to have a loose screen connector, such that if the lid is opened up beyond 90 degrees the display goes black.  Probably the sort of thing we could do ourselves, but since it's only about 3 months old don't really want to.  It is however a bit of a faf to pack it up and send it away for a fix.  The perils of buying from Amazon I suppose, but any helpful advice would be welcomed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Is there anyone on island who is authorised to carry out repairs on ASUS laptops without invalidating the warranty?  We seem to have a loose screen connector, such that if the lid is opened up beyond 90 degrees the display goes black.  Probably the sort of thing we could do ourselves, but since it's only about 3 months old don't really want to.  It is however a bit of a faf to pack it up and send it away for a fix.  The perils of buying from Amazon I suppose, but any helpful advice would be welcomed.

We sent our son's Sony Vaio away twice for repair under warranty and found the service to be very quick and easy. No charge t all , they send the packing box and the driver boxes it up and it's a goodun. within a week it is back good as new.

Nothing wrong with Amazon at all.Not sure why you would say that. They did not make the machine. They just gave you a good price.

 Buy the machine over here and kiss it goodbye when it fails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

 

Nothing wrong with Amazon at all.Not sure why you would say that.

I know that, not what I meant - I buy loads of stuff from Amazon.  My point was that if I'd picked it up from Currys I could take it back and get them to sort it all out rather than getting it picked up etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I know that, not what I meant - I buy loads of stuff from Amazon.  My point was that if I'd picked it up from Currys I could take it back and get them to sort it all out rather than getting it picked up etc.

and you would be waiting weeks and weeks. Curry's don't do local. everything goes away, but slowly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In this day and age unless you're really ham-fisted , break things inside and force connectors into places that they don't belong then manufacturers allow customers to go inside laptops as it's cheaper than having an engineer do a repair.

Dell ,for example, have asked little old ladies to go and find a suitable small screwdriver and remove the base plastics from a laptop to check hard disk connectors and reseat DIMMs (true story that happened locally). If you think you can do it yourself then just do so. Just make sure you have the correct size screwdrivers and understand how the different types of connector inside work. (some are easy to break when you think they should pull away from the connector when a flap actually lifts up, etc,etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mbx said:

In this day and age unless you're really ham-fisted , break things inside and force connectors into places that they don't belong then manufacturers allow customers to go inside laptops as it's cheaper than having an engineer do a repair.

Dell ,for example, have asked little old ladies to go and find a suitable small screwdriver and remove the base plastics from a laptop to check hard disk connectors and reseat DIMMs (true story that happened locally). If you think you can do it yourself then just do so. Just make sure you have the correct size screwdrivers and understand how the different types of connector inside work. (some are easy to break when you think they should pull away from the connector when a flap actually lifts up, etc,etc

I'm quite comfortable fixing stuff - Me and my son (whose computer it is) have done several iPhone screen replacements, I've replaced a HDD in a MacBook, and he's built his own gaming PC.  If it was out of warranty we'd do exactly that, my concern however would be if I needed to replace a ribbon cable rather than just reconnect it.

As it turns out I called ASUS, and they're arranging for the laptop to be picked up, fixed, and re-delivered.  Will post again here when it's done, in case anyone's interested.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wrighty said:

I'm quite comfortable fixing stuff - Me and my son (whose computer it is) have done several iPhone screen replacements, I've replaced a HDD in a MacBook, and he's built his own gaming PC.  If it was out of warranty we'd do exactly that, my concern however would be if I needed to replace a ribbon cable rather than just reconnect it.

As it turns out I called ASUS, and they're arranging for the laptop to be picked up, fixed, and re-delivered.  Will post again here when it's done, in case anyone's interested.

Well I for one would be interested, as that is what we have done several times without any problem whatsoever. It would be nice to know that others get the same good service as we received.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2018 at 11:22 PM, dilligaf said:

Well I for one would be interested, as that is what we have done several times without any problem whatsoever. It would be nice to know that others get the same good service as we received.

Picked up by DPD. When I say picked up, I mean Manx Independent Carriers stuck a card through my door and I delivered it to them the following day. Had an email from ASUS saying it had arrived. 

So far so good. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And it's all gone wrong.  Repair status said "waiting for part" for about 3 weeks, so I emailed and they said it was going to be another 3.  I asked when they considered it was too long to have to wait so they've offered a full refund - no replacements in stock apparently.  Refund may take 25 days!

Not great really.  It's my son's computer, and we have other devices he can use.  But if I was a small business owner who needed the machine to run, and was without it for about 2 months it would be different.  Don't think I'll be recommending ASUS any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, wrighty said:

And it's all gone wrong.  Repair status said "waiting for part" for about 3 weeks, so I emailed and they said it was going to be another 3.  I asked when they considered it was too long to have to wait so they've offered a full refund - no replacements in stock apparently.  Refund may take 25 days!

Not great really.  It's my son's computer, and we have other devices he can use.  But if I was a small business owner who needed the machine to run, and was without it for about 2 months it would be different.  Don't think I'll be recommending ASUS any time soon.

Poor show.:o

Makes Sony look even better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even worse.  They usually do the refunds through the retailer, but can't with Amazon for some reason.  So they're 'buying it back' from me.  That'll be 30 days apparently. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2018 at 11:22 PM, dilligaf said:

Well I for one would be interested, as that is what we have done several times without any problem whatsoever. It would be nice to know that others get the same good service as we received.

Finally received a refund today. About £35 short because they refunded in Euros for some reason. And it’s taken about 2 months. 

ASUS - buyer beware. Computer was good when it worked, after sales service very poor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Finally received a refund today. About £35 short because they refunded in Euros for some reason. And it’s taken about 2 months. 

ASUS - buyer beware. Computer was good when it worked, after sales service very poor. 

Honest reviews of service are always useful

At least you got some money back 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×