Ribena - Stockpiling

Declan

I cannot stand the taste of artificial sweeteners.  Even 'full-fat' stuff has them in addition to sugar these days.  Not that I drink it, but original Ribena was one of the last bastions of proper sugary drink.  The kids used to have it all the time - never the 'tooth-kind' stuff - and they all have a perfect set of teeth with no fillings.  Sugary drinks aren't inherently bad - it's what you do with them that's important.  I wouldn't be surprised in years to come that we find out that artificial sweeteners are responsible for obesity (by altering gut bacteria perhaps?).

3 hours ago, wrighty said:

I cannot stand the taste of artificial sweeteners.  Even 'full-fat' stuff has them in addition to sugar these days.  Not that I drink it, but original Ribena was one of the last bastions of proper sugary drink.  The kids used to have it all the time - never the 'tooth-kind' stuff - and they all have a perfect set of teeth with no fillings.  Sugary drinks aren't inherently bad - it's what you do with them that's important.  I wouldn't be surprised in years to come that we find out that artificial sweeteners are responsible for obesity (by altering gut bacteria perhaps?).

Have you tried Stevia. Its a natural . It does have a mild aftertaste but Its much better than the synthetic .

@ wrighty

I agree that artificial sweeteners are vile but I think we shall have to disagree about the relationship between tooth decay and sucrose.

It wouldn't happen without sucrose being metabolised to acid by Strep Mutans and Strep.us in the plaque on your teeth. One answer is to clean the plaque off of course which no doubt being good parents you encouraged your kids to do. However if we could get rid of sucrose, dental decay would a thing of the past. 

It is perfectly true that tooth decay can be avoided whilst still eating refined sugar (as in your kids) but it is the cause of the bother.

Sucrose is also addictive and makes you fat and can sometimes lead eventually to type 2 diabetes.. 

That all said.....we should have the choice as long as it's informed.

Edit - just to add, dedspite all the sugar this stuff is way better than the carbonated low pH drinks that are everywhere these days.

Edited by ballaughbiker