Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
craggy_steve

Steam Packet to be sold

I see Steve England for director didn’t make it. Tynwald confirmed appointment of the following three people for 3 year terms Philip Dearden, Captain Simon Pressley and David Oldfield

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I see Steve England for director didn’t make it. Tynwald confirmed appointment of the following three people for 3 year terms Philip Dearden, Captain Simon Pressley and David Oldfield

I thought he was an automatic shoe in for a directorship...

Are these 3 joining the iom ponzi/pyramid civil service scheme? how much will they cost.

1 hour ago, GreyWolf said:

Are these 3 joining the iom ponzi/pyramid civil service scheme? how much will they cost.

In their eyes, not enough...

2 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

Each up to £20k p.a. as position was advertised. 

Good appointments in my view.

2 very experienced shipping guys and the forums very own Phil D. (congrats!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Each up to £20k p.a. as position was advertised. 

Good appointments in my view.

2 very experienced shipping guys and the forums very own Phil D. (congrats!)

Agree. Let's see just how "arms length" the government stay away and allow these guys to do what they do best

34 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Agree. Let's see just how "arms length" the government stay away and allow these guys to do what they do best

No chance of that happening.

• Like 1

Agreed there. The concept etc works for obtaining and developing a sustainable sea transport system for us. Where it'll fall down is when Mabel from Onchan needs a cheap trip to visit a sick relative around 7 June and she finds that there are no sailings available or they want £150 one was as a foot pax. Then she'll be onto one of those Onchan fuckwits who'll be trying to introduce some kind of discounted fare for old wimmin with sick rellies. Once one group has a reduction, then every other fecker will want one too and the whole plat goes South.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, piebaps said:

Agreed there. The concept etc works for obtaining and developing a sustainable sea transport system for us. Where it'll fall down is when Mabel from Onchan needs a cheap trip to visit a sick relative around 7 June and she finds that there are no sailings available or they want £150 one was as a foot pax. Then she'll be onto one of those Onchan fuckwits who'll be trying to introduce some kind of discounted fare for old wimmin with sick rellies. Once one group has a reduction, then every other fecker will want one too and the whole plat goes South.

That's exactly what will happen.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, piebaps said:

16 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

What, like exactly?  I'm sticking a diary reminder in for 7 June to see what happens!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

Nah - the status quo will be maintained.

The national pastime of whinging about the service and the frequency/cost thereof will never change.

The parameters under which the company operates will be set in the new sea services agreement, and the company will spend endless hours justifying itself and performance to Government under that agreement.

Tynwald can only interfere by influencing what's in that agreement prior to it being signed, and I'd suggest that putting pricing controls in there that curb the ability of the company to match supply with demand in terms of pricing is not in Government's (as owner) overall interest.

A select committee will be formed to look into pricing in 3/4 years time, and they will find that the fares are reasonable - and the same circular arguments will carry on and on for as long as there is a ferry service.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, piebaps said:

you couldn't be more incorrect if you tried.

What will happen is the fuckwits will make sure all the freebies will go their way under the guise of "fact finding" and fuck mr and mrs taxpayer. This of course won't be confined to 7 June more all the year round...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Nah - the status quo will be maintained.

The national pastime of whinging about the service and the frequency/cost thereof will never change.

The parameters under which the company operates will be set in the new sea services agreement, and the company will spend endless hours justifying itself and performance to Government under that agreement.

Tynwald can only interfere by influencing what's in that agreement prior to it being signed, and I'd suggest that putting pricing controls in there that curb the ability of the company to match supply with demand in terms of pricing is not in Government's (as owner) overall interest.

A select committee will be formed to look into pricing in 3/4 years time, and they will find that the fares are reasonable - and the same circular arguments will carry on and on for as long as there is a ferry service.

I wish I had your certainty about such things. Politicians won't be able to resist using it a political pawn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I wish I had your certainty about such things. Politicians won't be able to resist using it a political pawn.

If January the 1st is anything to go by, the costs are just going to go one way, indeed as predicted by knowledgeable and cynical people like myself on the forum !

Edited by asitis
  • Like 1

Now confirmed by Tynwald.

UK companies house says PhilD was a Director of IOMSPco UK since June 2018, not long after the sale, so perhaps not as surprising. With three new faces, it will be interesting to see how the strategy shapes out.