Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
craggy_steve

Steam Packet to be sold

3 minutes ago, Frances said:

As to the Night boat from Heysham - no public transport access to terminal late night - taxis to/from Lancaster are about £15 during day - suspect considerably higher late night and the terminal is a good walk from nearest pubs.

The night boat from Heysham is just depressing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Why do we actually need to go to Liverpool at all? 

And if we do, why do we need to spend shedloads of. Only, when facilities already exist nearby at Birkenhead?

asking for a friend.

Birkenhead is not really available regularly, or consistently. The Stena boats get priority, it’s their terminal and link spans. At the moment we use it 3 hours a week for 4.5 months of the year. Don’t think Mannanan can berth.

Liverpool, because it’s traditional, shopping is better, hospital visits, IKEA day trips. Liverpool because of transport links. Liverpool because Heysham is a dump.

But do people really go shopping in Liverpool as foot passengers? Struggling back on the boat with lots of bags and boxes?

Liverpool would be better if we had got freight capacity.

Yes, a Liverpool linkspan and berthing facility is good, but do we need a big terminal paid for by government. After all the Steam Packet have provided the, inadequate, facilities for 40 years.

For cars and onward motor travel Heysham is better, especially with the Bay Gateway - as long as there isn’t a shunt at Lancaster & Morecambe College/McDonalds traffic lights or no one attempts to take the roundabouts at speed. But it’s not good for foot passengers, or at some ungodly hour, or when there’s delay.

• Like 1

I've had worse experiences

Tho' why they make you wait in the bloody Heyshem terminal is beyond me

They're cruel there

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

They're cruel there

DBbvoF2XgAE8P8v.thumb.jpg.a6fc3c7f3bfee16f6a50986478082e8e.jpg

21 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Many moons ago I came back on the Super Seacat 3. ( is that the right name ?)

We did the trip in well under 2 hours. 

21 hours ago, John Wright said:

I’ve been on Mannanan to Heysham when it’s done it in just under 100 minutes.

21 hours ago, dilligaf said:

My trip was Liverpool to Douglas and I swear it was about an hour and a half. Very smooth and most passengers were amazed.

I once arrived before we left.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

They're cruel there

One of the interesting things about the press release about the Steam Packet plans is that it says:

The Island’s second link-span, on Victoria Pier, is currently owned by the IOMSPCo but control will be handed to the DoI under a new agreement; the cost of refurbishing the passenger facilities at Heysham Terminal by the end of 2019 will be met by the IOMSPCo and the DoI will improve passenger and baggage facilities at the Sea Terminal in Douglas.

So the Heysham terminal with be refurbished, but it will be paid for by the SP (rather than its owner) while the taxpayer pays directly for work at the Sea Terminal.  It will be interesting if we see more of these hidden subsidies.

• Like 2

I suspect the loss on these services must be quite high - apart from TT week I suspect the number of travellers + more importantly trailers, to/from Dublin + Belfast are small - the timings are not great or that convenient and depending on Brexit the Dublin service may be considerably more costly to operate.

22 hours ago, John Wright said:

Birkenhead is not really available regularly, or consistently. The Stena boats get priority, it’s their terminal and link spans. At the moment we use it 3 hours a week for 4.5 months of the year. Don’t think Mannanan can berth.

Liverpool, because it’s traditional, shopping is better, hospital visits, IKEA day trips. Liverpool because of transport links. Liverpool because Heysham is a dump.

But do people really go shopping in Liverpool as foot passengers? Struggling back on the boat with lots of bags and boxes?

Liverpool would be better if we had got freight capacity.

Yes, a Liverpool linkspan and berthing facility is good, but do we need a big terminal paid for by government. After all the Steam Packet have provided the, inadequate, facilities for 40 years.

For cars and onward motor travel Heysham is better, especially with the Bay Gateway - as long as there isn’t a shunt at Lancaster & Morecambe College/McDonalds traffic lights or no one attempts to take the roundabouts at speed. But it’s not good for foot passengers, or at some ungodly hour, or when there’s delay.

This is the bit that irks;

“Yes, a Liverpool linkspan and berthing facility is good, but do we need a big terminal paid for by government. After all the Steam Packet have provided the, inadequate, facilities for 40 years”

Why indeed?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

This is the bit that irks;

“Yes, a Liverpool linkspan and berthing facility is good, but do we need a big terminal paid for by government. After all the Steam Packet have provided the, inadequate, facilities for 40 years”

Why indeed?

The usual Government largesse using other peoples money, that's why we need it Derek !!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Manx Bean said:

So here go...already the Government has started messing with services - and to cap it all, Ray Harmer (FFS) is left to justify the decision. My money is on the Steam Packet being privatised sometime after the next General Election in 2021.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/ireland-sailings-reduced-under-new-sea-services-proposals/

Exactly. We all knew this would happen.

Why is IOMG/DOI involved in announcing reductions/changes in service? It never used to do that before. Shouldn't that decision be made and announced independently by IOMSPCo., you know, that arms length entity where IOMG wouldn't interfere?

Cyril's Servants just can't resist it, can they?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manx Bean said:

So here go...already the Government has started messing with services - and to cap it all, Ray Harmer (FFS) is left to justify the decision. My money is on the Steam Packet being privatised sometime after the next General Election in 2021.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/ireland-sailings-reduced-under-new-sea-services-proposals/

"Infrastructure Minister Ray Harmer says the changes focus on quality rather than quantity:"   

Does anyone have the faintest idea how a reducttion in crossings leads to a more "quality" product....?

12 minutes ago, P.K. said:

"Infrastructure Minister Ray Harmer says the changes focus on quality rather than quantity:"   

Does anyone have the faintest idea how a reducttion in crossings leads to a more "quality" product....?

Yes, because half the departures are at tourist unfriendly timings. 01.30 on SeaCat from Belfast. Arriving 5am. Can’t get into your hotel room until 2pm, or later.

Maybe somebody's crunched numbers on the Irish crossings and they're just not economical. How big is the Irish freight sector which is where any money would lie? It must only be the TT/FOM passenger trade which is profitable?

23 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, because half the departures are at tourist unfriendly timings. 01.30 on SeaCat from Belfast. Arriving 5am. Can’t get into your hotel room until 2pm, or later.

So just badly worded then.

But the Heysham sailing is similar getting in at 6am.