Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
craggy_steve

Steam Packet to be sold

Didn't Eddie say Trust Me you are all too stupid to understand with the pinewood thing

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, asitis said:

From the IOM news site a paragraph quoting the treasury minister ............

He said he appreciated the deal had been ‘somewhat thrust’ upon Tynwald members but explained that the shareholders had agreed to negotiate only if the company’s financial position remained confidential.

This makes my blood boil, either the shareholders want to negotiate or they don't, if they don't then let the agreement run out, in the meantime develop a fall back position, I am sure there is one for 124m ! Tail wagging dog again !!!!!!

51 minutes ago, P.K. said:

So the shareholders have been contacted, had the situation explained to them via various proposals and been balloted as to their preferred option?

Hmmm and their preferred option is to go ahead as long as the company's financial situation is kept under wraps. There MUST be a reason for this. Otherwise why so coy?

Now anyone normal would see that if the company is being purchased with Public Money then the public will need to know the value of the asset they are buying.

So do Tynwald really know the value of the asset they are buying?

21 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

If it was so straightforward...£48m + debt, why the secrecy in the figures? What haven't we seen yet?

Guesses?

Alf's words as underlined by asitis suggest to me that the secrecy was required during the negotiations. That seems reasonable as the negotiations may have led nowhere. It does not suggest that the confidentiality should extend after the deal has been done and into the period of government ownership. Once the new operation is up and running everything should be in the public domain. Secrecy about how much profit is being extracted from our lifeline service was bad enough under various private owners. It would be intolerable if perpetuated by our own government. Whether valid or not it would lead to constant speculation about how much "they" were fleecing us of to feather their own nests.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, woolley said:

it would lead to constant speculation about how much "they" were fleecing us of to feather their own nests.

cs pensions is the end game......

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, woody2 said:

cs pensions is the end game......

and that affects you in what way ?

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Trust they are going to get KPMG to do full due diligence?

Nah they'll do it for the subsequent enquiry !

• Haha 3

Ok, things a nationalised Steam Packet need to do:

1) Stop charging the earth for horrid coffee

2) Move the 'Vistitor Experience / Welcome Centre' on-board the vessel: you've got a captive audience for 4 hours, if you can't upsell stuff to them there then you won't have much joy with them dropping in to the Sea Terminal days later

3) Join the experience up: this is the first glimpse of the Isle of Man, what it has to offer and it's example of hospitality: historically, the Steam Packet has been the most miserable experience for people coming to and leaving the Island, this needs a total overhaul

4) Sort out that awful 'dog room' next to the banging doors and toilets which is noisy and stinks. Most people who are bringing their dogs on holiday with them are responsible dog owners. You do not need to fear them!

In short: up your customer-facing offer. It's pretty grim at the moment, and there is huge scope for improvement. The Steam Packet have no reason to do it in the past - they just want to ship people here and rip them off - but this should be treated as an opportunity, not continuity.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

If the economics of this make any sense and it seems Tynwald think they do, then it should be seen as an opportunity to use our lifeline for something other than a cash cow !

I fear however the business case whoever has written it is based around the cash cow scenario and not what a true lifeline service should be doing !

I care not what all the supporters say, the fares are too high to generate tourism and too high to support competitive Manx business where any transport costs are involved !

Changing those areas however will be difficult if the figures are based around current charges !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As long as the business case wasn't prepared by Ian Longworth, because we all know how those turn out. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Oh, another thing - although I appreciate this is too 'blue sky' for the tourist board:

How about issuing every taxpayer a £100 credit voucher each year for the newly nationalised service? They could either use this themselves - so we all get an immediate return on this investment - or, if they don't want to travel, they could send it to friends / family / stick it on ebay. If you GENUINELY want us to encourage people to come here, then give us the opportunity to incentivise people we know who may be considering / dithering about coming. Such a voucher could close the deal.

Yeah yeah I know it won't happen, but again: this should be an opportunity for the people who've been working in tourism for years and creaming off very good salaries to actually prove they've got what it takes when it comes to selling the Island. The cost of getting here is the single biggest problem, and it's one that is now within our control. We subsidise everything else on the island that is tourist related, it's time we dealt with the barriers to travel, as well as the attractions FOR travel.

I'm available for anymore tourism advice at £150 an hour ;)

• Like 6

How about free sex in luxury cabins for everyone making a crossing? That will get the tourists over. 

1 hour ago, benl said:

As long as the business case wasn't prepared by Ian Longworth, because we all know how those turn out. 

It might as well have been prepared by Ian Botham.

My biggest criticism of the Steam Packet over the years is that most times I've been on the boat, and I know this sounds weird, but it's been really quite wobbly.  Just going to the toilet is pretty difficult sometimes, and I've found myself bumping into walls. Paying customers shouldn't have to go through that kind of public embarrassment and I hope the Govt will put an end to it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

How about free sex in luxury cabins for everyone making a crossing? That will get the tourists over. 

As long as it's not local manx women. They're not genetically blessed. Now those lovely young eastern Europeans.....

29 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

not if the sex is with you! :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Trust they are going to get KPMG to do full due diligence?

Yes. They get a consultancy fee if the end result says they acted in the public interest and the commercials stack up.

You don't engage a consultancy on the IoM to actually consult.

Edited by Lxxx