Steam Packet to be sold

Perhaps some Manx, or Islanders....could be employed and we could get some national pride back into this company that has been passed from hand to hand and asset stripped since the dumbwitted government of the 60s sold out years ago, lot of old farmers who were more concerned at lining their own pockets and let the Island flounder.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, things a nationalised Steam Packet need to do: 1) Stop charging the earth for horrid coffee 2) Move the 'Vistitor Experience / Welcome Centre' on-board the vessel: you've got a captive a

£80m on a deep port. £30m on a landing stage in Liverpool. £124m on the Packet..... infrastructure all over the Island needing money spending. Ailing health service, PS pension issues, massively

The franchise isn’t too bad operationally. It’s the ownership and financing parts of the package that were mishandled. There should have been a golden share to stop ownership change, and to allow

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Mr. Sausages said:

My biggest criticism of the Steam Packet over the years is that most times I've been on the boat, and I know this sounds weird, but it's been really quite wobbly.  Just going to the toilet is pretty difficult sometimes, and I've found myself bumping into walls. Paying customers shouldn't have to go through that kind of public embarrassment and I hope the Govt will put an end to it.

Hashtag You Must Not Be Drinking Enough.

You can see how we got here....IOMSPco want to increase their value so that there is something over and above the debt attaching to the shares. They ask for a new deal and offer enhanced service and new shiny boats. IOM Govt. is excited at the idea of enhanced service and shiny boats but concerned voters will say they gave away too much too cheaply so they hire consultants who say the deal is a good one but more good for the IOM SPco...they then negotiate and don't agree - I still think there is room to agree, there is nothing wrong with IOM SPCo making a profit but the terms look good and part of the profit is because of the economics and geography of the Island so it would be resonable for the Govt. to charge a "Franchise fee" and add in conditions about ROCE and vetos re change in ownership. I suspect this is not want IOMSPCo want but the deal could still be attractive. I think (maybe hope) this is till achievable and I hope the current machinations turn out to be "posturiing" or "negotiating tactics".

What would not be good is an IOMSPCo owned and controlled, on an ongoing basis,  by the IOM Govt. partly because Govt. is not the best owner of trading businesses but mostly because its operations would become politicised. No matter how much current Members intend to leave operational matters within the company, those Members will not be there for ever and MHKs will find it hard to resist when "Unhappy of Onchan" complains that he did not get a discount or "Grumpy of Castletown" moans that he was only 20 minutes late and the boat left without him. If there are votes in it, MHKs would have to respond and the operation of the company would then become subject to the whims of Tynwald. That voter interference has already begun in the comments above....and below.

Edited by Phillip Dearden
"Progress"
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, parchedpeas said:

Oh, another thing - although I appreciate this is too 'blue sky' for the tourist board:

How about issuing every taxpayer a £100 credit voucher each year for the newly nationalised service? They could either use this themselves - so we all get an immediate return on this investment - or, if they don't want to travel, they could send it to friends / family / stick it on ebay. If you GENUINELY want us to encourage people to come here, then give us the opportunity to incentivise people we know who may be considering / dithering about coming. Such a voucher could close the deal.

Yeah yeah I know it won't happen, but again: this should be an opportunity for the people who've been working in tourism for years and creaming off very good salaries to actually prove they've got what it takes when it comes to selling the Island. The cost of getting here is the single biggest problem, and it's one that is now within our control. We subsidise everything else on the island that is tourist related, it's time we dealt with the barriers to travel, as well as the attractions FOR travel.

I'm available for anymore tourism advice at £150 an hour ;)

Or how about running it 'not for profit', massively cutting fares for passengers, vehicles and of course freight?

• Thanks 1

A nice 1st step would be a return of the frequent user discount. Travel 3 returns and get the 4th for nowt, or reduced -'either way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, La Colombe said:

How about free sex in luxury cabins for everyone making a crossing? That will get the tourists over. 

just point them in the direction of peel when they get off the boat......

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Or how about running it 'not for profit', massively cutting fares for passengers, vehicles and of course freight?

I would have thought that the anticipated (but unrealised) profits will have already been earmarked for government pension funding. Assuming of course they don't use their 'talents' to transform the profits into losses.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

This post demonstrates well I think what Phillip Dearden is saying about the dangers of a politicised operation.

If I end up standing I will be promising all of that plus free beer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In respect of my 'not for profit' comment, I mean in respect of de-commericalising it and making sure that it washes its own face. Enough re-investment for decent boats, but do away with advertising for a start. Its a monopoly ferry, and if you want to travel by sea, or move something substantial you have limited options. 

I still wouldn't have spent £124m on it....

• Like 2

All I see is more and more desperate rolling of the dice to try and prop up cs pension scheme. Love the way Cannel said the creeping hand of off island owners will no longer be felt steeling money out of you and your childrens pockets. No from now on it will be the Goverment

• Like 4