Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
craggy_steve

Steam Packet to be sold

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Yes, automated service after 6pm. Sailing updates, or request a brochure. Humans only on between 08.30-18.00

That’s useful.

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, automated service after 6pm. Sailing updates, or request a brochure. Humans only on between 08.30-18.00

Not good enough.

There is a public number for Heysham Port, but it’s not answered out of hours. 

The whole trip from hitting English soil was painful. 

Id built in ample time for roadworks but not for 3 Motorway closures and lengthy diversions once we had been delayed 4 hours by dog vet and 2 hours by tyre.

id have been quicker to go anti-clockwise round the M25 and avoided the M40/2/5 or gone anti-clockwise around the M42 and used M6 toll.

Water under the bridge. Stressful.

ive changed my next two long distance returns to 14.15 the day after arriving back in UK and booked hotels just north of Birmingham.

Last time I missed a boat was from Liverpool as a student. Went for a midnight, can only have missed by seconds. They almost allowed you to jump in those days. I slept in the old transatlantic Canadian  marshalling sheds on a bench and got a 6 am sailing. Must have been TT.

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

Why don't they have a well publicised number for the relevant vessel?

Hang on there Finlo , that would be too easy...

Edited by Neil Down

7 minutes ago, finlo said:

Why don't they have a well publicised number for the relevant vessel?

I have got the direct number for the purser on the Ben ( passenger services) somewhere. Don’t ask how. Can you imagine the mayhem if it was public

i wouldn’t dream of using it unless in extremis..

Edited by John Wright

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I have got the direct number for the purser on the Ben, somewhere. Don’t ask how. Can you imagine the mayhem if it was public.

Well yes of course, but better the dealing with some unionized scouser or an answer phone.

Just now, finlo said:

Well yes of course, but better the dealing with some unionized scouser or an answer phone.

Why a “unionised scouser” John’s problems were in Heysham.

7 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Why a “unionised scouser” John’s problems were in Heysham.

Every issue i've encountered at Heysham has been with scoucers, Chinese looking one's at that!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, finlo said:

Every issue i've encountered at Heysham has been with scoucers, Chinese looking one's at that!

Yet, Liverpool tend to deal with problems in a sensible manner. Are you sure the “Scousers” you have spoken to aren’t just manxies who’ve had a trip up the Mersey...:flowers:

39 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The whole trip from hitting English soil was painful. 

Id built in ample time for roadworks but not for 3 Motorway closures and lengthy diversions once we had been delayed 4 hours by dog vet and 2 hours by tyre.

I hope you don't think I'm being churlish John, but could I ask how that took 2 hours. (Most folk an hour at most - 20 minutes cursin', 20 minutes max looking for the kit and 20 minutes to change the tyre)

7 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Yet, Liverpool tend to deal with problems in a sensible manner. Are you sure the “Scousers” you have spoken to aren’t just manxies who’ve had a trip up the Mersey...:flowers:

I had a Chinese scouser rip me a new areshole for having the audacity to turn up at Liverpool in a vehicle just over 3m high.

Got very objectionable when I pointed out to her that the Manannin's height restriction is 3.6m in their own publication!

Was probably the same bird although a good few years apart.

17 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I hope you don't think I'm being churlish John, but could I ask how that took 2 hours. (Most folk an hour at most - 20 minutes cursin', 20 minutes max looking for the kit and 20 minutes to change the tyre)

Read back. The car comes with a skinny spare. 50kph limit for 100 miles. So couldn’t get from Folkestone to Heysham on that, or in time to catch the boat. So tracked down a 24/7 tyre replacement at home guy with a tyre that matched and gave him the roadside coordinates. I’ve very limited grip in my hands and I’m using a wheel chair, so even a full size spare would have been a challenge.

Edited by John Wright
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Hey, watch it boy.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

To whom? Where? They close the phone lines from early evening. I wouldn’t have a number for Heysham Harbour.

We had the same problem last weekend.

We got stuck on what I think is Sefton Road with closed lanes then total closure. Had to follow diversion signs until they disappeared then tried to phone L'pool, Douglas everyone else trying to inform them that would be a little late. Just answerphones every time.

Got there in the end and boarded on time. We knew it would be busy as they had missed a sailing and it was the last of the season, so paid about £60 to get in the premium lounge for a quiet sailing. Worth every penny, but surprised that there were several children in there. I thought it was over 16's only.