Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
craggy_steve

Steam Packet to be sold

On 4/3/2019 at 8:04 PM, 2112 said:

I thought Amazon payments get channelled through Luxembourg.

On a separate note, I’ve noticed Hooperman, the Super MHK sticking his oar in regarding The IOMSPC. Demanding public inputs and generally LibVan busybodying. I thought that Alfie Hey Boy was top interferer of the Racket, and his henchmen sat as nicely paid directors. It’s supposed to be run at arms length (ALMO), but fat chance of that with Treasury, LibVan, and certain MHKs all sticking their beaks in. I really wonder how many of these politicos and civil servants actually use the Racket either going across with a car for a break, or bring freight over as part of running a business? 

When I filled in my IOMSPCo survey I remember thinking that human nature being what it is the responders will all want a faster crossing for less money. You can imagine my amazement when that seemed to be the case....! 

I was less than amazed to discover that no one had thought to survey all the IOMSPCo account holders the omission being par for the course.

It makes sense to have two vessels especially to cash in on the easily remembered ABC plus assorted Grockles and to back each other up. It makes no sense to me if they can't back each other up during the more ship-wearing winter months with it's added sresses of bad weather.

But currently the thinking seems to be no change.

2 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Fuck off Brains

Well that’s charming. Time to get Virgil to tunnel up through your kitchen floor in the Mole.

• Like 1

As the IOM is now party to the profits made by the SPCO, it makes no sense at all to keep the fast craft.

Simplistically the company has two "goods vehicles" to transport goods to and from the island, it just doesn't make sense for one of them to only be available for part of the year but still have the running costs and upkeep of the other ! It may be a nice to have, and I agree speed is wonderful, but now we are a co owner the bottom line is I would suggest of greater priority !

Profit isn't everything, now the government owns the steam packet it is important that they provide a service that people want to use, and a fast service to Liverpool is one.

• Like 1

Just now, TheTeapot said:

Profit isn't everything, now the government owns the steam packet it is important that they provide a service that people want to use, and a fast service to Liverpool is one.

Whilst I agree with you about the service, I suspect that profit for the government is everything at the moment ! Everything government can charge for at the moment is rising at an alarming rate !!

Speaking of profit. Today’s Heysham sailing is cancelled and to rebook you have to ring a number charging 11p a minute on top of network charge. Not coining it in are they?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, yorik said:

Speaking of profit. Today’s Heysham sailing is cancelled and to rebook you have to ring a number charging 11p a minute on top of network charge. Not coining it in are they?

You can always ring 661661 ( normal local call charges apply)

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You can always ring 661661 ( normal local call charges apply)

Funnily enough, I did. You get the same message. And the texts they send out don’t quote that number at all

16 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Well that’s charming. Time to get Virgil to tunnel up through your kitchen floor in the Mole.

Painful.

1 hour ago, yorik said:

Funnily enough, I did. You get the same message. And the texts they send out don’t quote that number at all

presumably you have it in your contacts or speed dial?

On 4/15/2019 at 9:51 AM, John Wright said:

presumably you have it in your contacts or speed dial?

To be honest, no. And I doubt visitors from across will either so they’ll end up calling the premium rate number.

I did call 661661 in the end

13 hours ago, yorik said:

To be honest, no. And I doubt visitors from across will either so they’ll end up calling the premium rate number.

I did call 661661 in the end

If you cannot get through to IOMSP then just call call your MHK. They now own the service and are responsible for it. 2am, 4am, 7 days a week. With power goes responsibility.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2019 at 8:15 AM, TheTeapot said:

Back in Reality Land are the running costs between the two vessels in the public domain?

Because everyone wants a faster service as cheaply as possible. But until you put a £number on that requirement you'll never know just how much they actually want it. It's a bit tricky to tell (CBA actually) from the timetables to see if the Mannanan attracts a premium payment.

Presumably a full running costs comparison including all aspects of the operation besides fuel and crew are in front of Tynwald? Because if I was doing it I would mark all the winter months when Mannanan can't sail as downtime in exactly the same way as, say, an SM.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 8:15 AM, TheTeapot said:

I'd ditch Liverpool altogether. Certainly wouldn't be spending £30m on an overpriced vanity terminal there.

• Like 3