Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
craggy_steve

Steam Packet to be sold

51 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

We always seemed to have a trip through a tunnel or two on our way to Pier Head

Don't know how Dad managed it really

Funny you say that. I had a business meeting with a chap who had travelled up from Southern England to get the ferry in Liverpool and he was complaining bitterly that his Tomtom had led him under the tunnel and onto the Wirral. Perhaps your dad was ahead of his time.

• Like 1

I see Coco the fucking clown has been on Manx Radio...well Laurence, stop charging bloody ludicrous fares...not rocket science is it? I mean, when its cheaper to fly on EasyJet and hire a car the other end, you know the pricing is wrong, surely? Jeez...dickhead. And what's with the wanky beard??

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/enterprise-minister-wants-more-tourists-to-fill-sailings/

• Haha 1

Jesus just listened to that interview if ever there was a man out of his depth its Skelly !!

I like his "you have to look at figures in the round taking into account the airport" !

Okay Lawrence well heres as it is... you and your muppets predicted that by air we would be having close to 2.5 million passengers per annum very soon and spent long long millions at the airport much of it open to question to facilitate that .....

Furthermore you have just spent 124 million of taxpayers cash acquiring the Steam Packet and you don't see a drop of 17,000 passengers as being a matter for particular concern !

We have new ships and shore facilities to finance as well !

These figures do need some spinning !!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, asitis said:

Jesus just listened to that interview if ever there was a man out of his depth its Skelly !!

I like his "you have to look at figures in the round taking into account the airport" !

Okay Lawrence well heres as it is... you and your muppets predicted that by air we would be having close to 2.5 million passengers per annum very soon and spent long long millions at the airport much of it open to question to facilitate that .....

Furthermore you have just spent 124 million of taxpayers cash acquiring the Steam Packet and you don't see a drop of 17,000 passengers as being a matter for particular concern !

We have new ships and shore facilities to finance as well !

These figures do need some spinning !!!

Those figures are a load of crap.

About 1 in 10 people get interviewed and only say what  they think is the right thing to say. ( Believe me, I know )

How the hell can so called accurate figures be given and acted upon, when the whole thing is so flimsy ?

Multiplied by 2 is how the Tourist Board have come up with their figures for years!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2019 at 7:54 PM, woolley said:

Funny you say that. I had a business meeting with a chap who had travelled up from Southern England to get the ferry in Liverpool and he was complaining bitterly that his Tomtom had led him under the tunnel and onto the Wirral. Perhaps your dad was ahead of his time.

He must have put in the postcode of the Birkenhead terminal perhaps?

When was the last time that Skelly spouted ANY credible figures from or to support his Dept?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

When was the last time that Skelly spouted ANY credible words....

Sorted.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

These 0.x% increases being despite the Island's biggest push for tourism for some years - Festival of Motrosport or whatever its called + TT push (still don't understand if those figures are increased or nor as Mr C, changed his mind so often), just go to demonstrate how totally relaint the Island/ Steam Racket is on these two events.

worth plugging this in also - http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/opqp/sittings/Tynwald 20162018/2018-GD-0036.pdf

"In visitor terms, there were 45,054 visitors for the TT compared with 16,218 for the Festival of Motorsport. The TT achieves a greater level of economies of scale, as the TT generates £152per visitor of income versus £88pervisitor, whereas the cost is about the same for each event at £138per visitor for the TT and £140 per visitor for the Festival of Motorsport."

so my understanding is, slightly more visitors (and therefore presuambly local and tourist trips dropping off) due to a big push for visitors to attend a loss-leading event

Edited by english zloty

31 minutes ago, english zloty said:

"In visitor terms, there were 45,054 visitors for the TT compared with 16,218 for the Festival of Motorsport. The TT achieves a greater level of economies of scale, as the TT generates £152per visitor of income versus £88pervisitor, whereas the cost is about the same for each event at £138per visitor for the TT and £140 per visitor for the Festival of Motorsport."

Is there anyone out there who can tell me how these numbers are generated?

And how can there possibly be economies of scale if the events are totally different to each other?

It's gobbledegook.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Is there anyone out there who can tell me how these numbers are generated?

Eddie Teare left them his Random Generator.

The facts are that: Skelly/Callister/Elected Whoever + IoMCS + Bad News = Lies to try and justify that bad news.

Indeed, we now have hired consumate professionals in the art.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Haha 1

Today’s latest IOMG nonsense - 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=48865&headline=New sea services agreement signed&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2019

TBH this has got me very confused.

Government has entered into an agreement with one of its own identities Also the terms of the agreement are similar to the old agreement with Steam Packet. Why did we buy IOMSPC? We should have bought it when it went under. It seems to me that we in effect have renationalised a failing business, but they have got a new user agreement, under similar conditions. What’s in it for Joe Taxpayer or Ferry User?

3 minutes ago, 2112 said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=48865&headline=New sea services agreement signed&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2019

Government has entered into an agreement with one of its own identities Also the terms of the agreement are similar to the old agreement with Steam Packet. Why did we buy IOMSPC? We should have bought it when it went under. It seems to me that we in effect have renationalised a failing business, but they have got a new user agreement, under similar conditions. What’s in it for Joe Taxpayer or Ferry User?

That "fuzzy" feeling inside that your funding government workers  ( I use that term very loosely ) pensions.

A guarantee of a regular ferry service? 

8 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The opportunity to make the owners/shareholders of a financially gutted operation rich beyond their wildest imaginations. Where's your philanthropy?

• Haha 2