Jump to content

Chester St Car Park / Shoprite


Isle Of Man LIVE
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, JessTickle said:

Fantastic photos Neil.

Can anyone tell me what the chimney is for in photo 6 and what the lovely building with the arched windows is in photo 7?

 

Photos harvested from FB Manx Nostalgia groups.

Chimney was tannery. 
 

Arched windows were Primitive Methodist chapel. It’s immediately behind the chimney, so appears on two photos. Just the pediment shows behind the chimney. Willaston Methodist church and hall was built to replace this.

@quilpNone show Greensills. That’s the back of Reece’s snooker hall, where Tower House now is.

@dilligaf the Dial s Cab taxi office is shown in the first photo in the multi photo post. Sign saying moved to Granville Street. As far as I can tell that’s near the back door entrance of the Strand Centre.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Arched windows were Primitive Methodist chapel. It’s immediately behind the chimney, so appears on two photos.

@quilpNone show Greensills. That’s the back of Reece’s snooker hall, where Tower House now is.

@dilligaf

Is that view on image 7 not looking down Senna road to the junction of Castle street? The arched windows can be seen in the image of the Rendezvous...

D2E05C19-850D-45EB-9F1D-49C88AB94DB3.jpeg.e48a3b30bf8fdf181dfa47c18c099e10.jpeg

download.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JessTickle said:

Fantastic photos Neil.

Can anyone tell me what the chimney is for in photo 6 and what the lovely building with the arched windows is in photo 7?

 

Not mine, credit goes to JW

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Is that view on image 7 not looking down Senna road to the junction of Castle street? The arched windows can be seen in the image of the Rendezvous...

D2E05C19-850D-45EB-9F1D-49C88AB94DB3.jpeg.e48a3b30bf8fdf181dfa47c18c099e10.jpeg

download.jpeg

No that isn't Greensills. It is Reece's Snooker Hall Castle Street façade. Look at the turret at the left roof profile (Greensills is a cut off plain corner) and the curved bay or oriole window at 1st floor left. Also the first floor windows are very different. You are right its looking down to Castle Street but Greensills was at Church Road Marina, (Castle Street changes into Marina Road after Senna Road)  the Junction of Loch, Central Proms and Church Street.

There is no road that goes down to the middle of Greensills from market St. The nearest one is the small unnamed one between Duke Video and Webbs that then joins with the pedestrian route to the foot of Crellins Hill between the old School and Church but it comes out at Star Grill. Confusingly Google maps shows two Senna Roads

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're spot on there, JW. I can remember there being a masonic temple on one level in that building, complete with tiled, ceremonial flooring, a couple of classical columns and quasi-alter. And a sound-proofed BBC studio on another floor the band had hired for rehearsals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I thought Dial a Cab was somewhere near where the chemist is now. No ?

Yes and No.

If you look at John Wright's photos. Dial a Cab was just a few steps away from Strand Street and next to to the entrance to Back Strand Street. Look at that triangular patch of land with a well in front of the cab office. That patch existed until the Strand redevelopment.

The pharmacy is opposite to the now closed Shoprite. Here is a photo I took a few months ago.

IMG_9748a - Copy.JPG

Edited by prism10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, quilp said:

You're spot on there, JW. I can remember there being a masonic temple on one level in that building, complete with tiled, ceremonial flooring, a couple of classical columns and quasi-alter. And a sound-proofed BBC studio on another floor the band had hired for rehearsals.

As well as the Temple I think it also housed the Douglas School of Art, for a while, before Kensington Road  was opened. It’s where Knox studied. As well as Reece’s Basil Callow had an antique warehouse on one floor for a while. 
 

Manx Radio went there, after the caravan, but before Douglas Head. That may be the origin of the studio?

I remember the ground floor being a restaurant with entrances on both promenade and Castle Street.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, prism10 said:

Yes and No.

If you look at John Wright's photos. Dial a Cab was just a few steps away from Strand Street and next to to the entrance to Back Strand Street. Look at that triangular patch of land with a well in front of the cab office. That patch existed until the Strand redevelopment.

The pharmacy is opposite to the now closed Shoprite. Here is a photo I took a few months ago.

IMG_9748a - Copy.JPG

My memory is that Well Road Hill went straight across Market Street and  Back Strand Street into Wellington Square, then across the Strand Street/Castle Street junction and down Granville Street to the promenade. That line runs through Strand Shopping Centre. In the back and out the front doors. The Dial a Cab office was on the south side of Wellington Square at the intersection with Market Street. 
 

The dropped pin marks the spot where I think Dial a Cab was.

98B582E7-E93E-4DCB-9F79-EFD35E4F05E9.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

As well as the Temple I think it also housed the Douglas School of Art, for a while, before Kensington Road  was opened. It’s where Knox studied. As well as Reece’s Basil Callow had an antique warehouse on one floor for a while. 
 

Manx Radio went there, after the caravan, but before Douglas Head. That may be the origin of the studio?

I remember the ground floor being a restaurant with entrances on both promenade and Castle Street.

The Temple was on the top floor John, the older Freemasons could use the Hydraulic lift to take them up, i had a skeet in during the Demolition, it was water powered. The first floor, rear had a slot machine arcade for a good while. Going back it was known as Castle Mona Road, hence the name on this image, ground floor, 28 Castle street . 

Castle Mona Stores was 28 Castle Street.jpg

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...