Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
TheTeapot

GAMMON

On 5/17/2018 at 8:16 PM, pongo said:

Gammon isn't a new pejorative. 

The young and easily impressed generally think that they and their heroes invented everything.

• Thanks 1

Just because i burst her balloon in calling something ace when i pointed out ace had been rendered obsolete when somebody came up with A Crappy Effort in the early nineties.

Every young generation thinks they invented everything, just like every older generation thinks they know everything. It never changes.

• Like 2

That's been going since at least the seventies.

I see from Have I Got News For You that there's also the term "Centrist Dad". Like there are three new colour-coded ages of man -

Snowflake - snow white

Centrist Dad - Beige

Gammon - Puce

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 5:40 PM, woolley said:

But who plants Tory plants? What process do they have to have undergone to become "plants" as opposed to being any other political activist on a political programme?

It's most obvious in Scotland, the Dundee episode was where it reached it's nadir, when there was scarcely a Scottish accent on the show, never mind local. And of the five big cities Dundee is by far the one with the least immigration of English. Yet full of Tories, NO voters (Dundee/Angus has always been the most SNP area in Scotland) and leavers.  

Then there's the UKIP chap from Glasgow who has on two separate occasions in the last couple of years, not just made it into the studio, but been able to ask questions also. Good on him you'd say, except most of us try and fail to even be an invited audience member, never mind ask questions, in a country where around 1% were voting UKIP.

It's stinky

Maybe it's down to how desperate you are to get on and how hard you try? Given that I wouldn't be there if they paid me and whenever it comes on I hit the "off" button, they can do what they like for me. I'd be more interested in how they select some of the loons on the panel, let alone the audience.