Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

On 5/24/2018 at 11:30 PM, the stinking enigma said:

The guy that took his job a bit seriously informed us that at one time there was about 130 pubs in peel. Quite staggering

Last time I was in Peel it was quite staggering visiting just six of them.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 10:30 AM, Donald Trumps said:

At one time up to 1 in 10 houses had licenses to brew & sell beer I believe

Most of what was brewed would have been low in alcohol - known as small beer. The whole family, even children would drink it. The brewing process made it safer to drink than plain water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not sure what the strength of it was in later years

In reply to Dilligaf, you are correct and I am the other of the Two Fellas and I was founder of the CAMRA Isle of Man Beer and Cider Festival. Thanks for all the kind comments from MF members, they've meant a lot to us - we are just a couple of middle aged blokes who should know better really!

Take-over day for the Whitehouse is Monday 12th November. There will be one or two changes but nothing significant I don't think.

• Like 4

Best of luck to you both. Looking forward to the 12th

3 hours ago, Charles Miller said:

In reply to Dilligaf, you are correct and I am the other of the Two Fellas and I was founder of the CAMRA Isle of Man Beer and Cider Festival. Thanks for all the kind comments from MF members, they've meant a lot to us - we are just a couple of middle aged blokes who should know better really!

Take-over day for the Whitehouse is Monday 12th November. There will be one or two changes but nothing significant I don't think.

N K will be a hard act to follow, but Good Luck. There is a big market out there for you to tap. You may do better than you thought.:thumbsup:

22 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

N K will be a hard act to follow, but Good Luck. There is a big market out there for you to tap. You may do better than you thought.:thumbsup:

It would be impossible to do worse than H&B are doing st the moment! Not that the Whitey is H&B I think,

11 minutes ago, finlo said:
19 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

It would be impossible to do worse than H&B are doing st the moment! Not that the Whitey is H&B I think,

Free house if memory serves.

You only have to look at how the only brewery pub in Peel does (The Highwayman) compared to the rest to see how effective their business model is. It's sandwiched in between the only housing estate that can be seen from space and it's still empty every night of the week.

• Like 1

Good luck to the two blokes and I am sure they’ll do very well,  H&B business model is broken, there more interested in coffee and poor food.