Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Nomadic Raptor

Nobles hospital

32 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Buster is not well. Can people not see that.

Shame nobody close to him can not get him the professional help he needs.

There’s lots of people with delusions / split personalities who aren’t well. Do they need professional help too? :lol:

33 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

What is funny about buster not being well ?

8 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:
42 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

There’s lots of people with delusions / split personalities who aren’t well. Do they need professional help too? :lol:

Why is Buster not being well funny ?

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Why is Buster not being well funny ?

You’re funny. I’m not sure where Buster comes into it. I missed the flounce this time. Did you announce it? 

Just now, thesultanofsheight said:

You’re funny. I’m not sure where Buster comes into it. I missed the flounce this time. Did you announce it? 

You quote Buster as if he was some sort of authority on anything. You are deluded.

Oh and there was no flounce. sorry to disappoint you.

11 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

:lol: :lol:

Mark your words. 

What ?

16 hours ago, Flubbergump said:

Can you provide insight into why you feel this should be opened up to competition, since thats usually the argument against a closed shop.

Actually, it already is opened up to competition.

For example, I heard from a health insurance broker only last week that insurers offer enhanced policy terms for CI & IOM residents to include cover for travel off-island, even for the most basic of elective surgery/procedure. The reason he said, is because the insurers/patients have a wider range of consultants & private hospitals to choose from in the UK, where the market is relatively elastic. As an example, Nuffield Hospitals indicative all-in pricing for Hip Replacement across the first 18 hospitals (by distance from IOM, but there are more) ranges from 9,575 to 13,275. 

If you are in the unfortunate position where travel isn't an option then you're left with no choice other than Nobles. And that's why you see yer man driving around in his Bentley. The dangling testicles, I might suggest, are from a patient and not his.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

If you are in the unfortunate position where travel isn't an option then you're left with no choice other than Nobles. And that's why you see yer man driving around in his Bentley. The dangling testicles, I might suggest, are from a patient and not his.

If you're in the position where you can't travel anywhere it becomes a closed shop as your local hospital is the only hospital available. That's not specific to the Island, it's the same anywhere a person with serious medical issues that can't travel resides.

Pretty sure the scenario you've described where private patients have choice on and off Island through their insurance isnt the definition of a closed shop though. And since the Island still has a limited set of specialities at Nobles a good volume of patients are flown out every day for treatment.

Edited by Flubbergump

3 minutes ago, Flubbergump said:

And since the Island still has a limited set of specialities at Nobles a good volume of patients are flown out every day for treatment.

So why are we paying more than the market rate to Consultants at Nobles? It's bonkers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

So why are we paying more than the market rate to Consultants at Nobles? It's bonkers.

See Derek Flints comments above. We do have areas where we have both the staff and the facilities to treat certain patients but we are still a small cold Island in the Irish Sea and we need to pay above market rate for skilled individuals in every field

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Because for the specialities where there is sufficient patient through put and numbers to justify employing someone it’s still many hundreds of percent cheaper to pay enough to attract someone to Nobles than fly the patients  to to U.K.

lets say a consultant is paid £200k and a junior £100k and they work 200 days a year. That’s £1000 a day and £500 a day. 

The cost of flying a patient is about £500 each, ( including land transport each end) plus the payment to the hospital/consultant in England, say £150 each. Say the average consultant/hospital doctor sees 21 patients a day. Cost IoM = £50 per patient. Cost sending to UK is  £13650 per day. Including travel and U.K. hospital costs.

• Thanks 1

I feel a FOI request coming up... because despite what the numbers might suggest I reckon they don't stack up. The hole is getting bigger and no one seems to be able to plug it or find a solution to rectify the financial imbalance, particularly where the consultants are practicing privately as well.

Does anyone know when and if the Nobles PPU will shut down?  

5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I feel a FOI request coming up... because despite what the numbers might suggest I reckon they don't stack up. The hole is getting bigger and no one seems to be able to plug it or find a solution to rectify the financial imbalance, particularly where the consultants are practicing privately as well.

Of course the numbers don't stack up.  This whole row about consultants' salaries is an obvious distraction from the real financial problems of the local NHS.  The additional payments that two consultants seem to have got are pretty small in comparison to the overall budget or any shortfall, but it's easier to try to blame it on some 'outsiders' and be snide about them, than to admit that the service is badly run by a large bunch of highly-paid civil servants who have no idea what they are doing, but are highly skilled at back-stabbing.  The idea that there are more useful forms of knife-work, such as surgery, doesn't seem to have occurred to them.  As so often on the Island, personal attacks are seen as easier than trying to fix the system.

Of course even if the consultants are being paid extra it will be because they are doing extra work, over and above their contracted hours, and treating more people.  As John points out, that's still a lot cheaper than sending people across to have the same thing done (or bringing extra people over to the Island).  And even if their contracts are over-generous - whose fault is that?  The same civil servants who are now complaining about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2