Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Nomadic Raptor

Nobles hospital

On 12/22/2018 at 7:28 PM, dilligaf said:

I just wish that I was able to reply to that, but I would be shot.

I'm amazed you didn't just create a sock puppet account and post anyway. 

It's all the rage you know.

18 hours ago, Flubbergump said:

I'm amazed you didn't just create a sock puppet account and post anyway. 

It's all the rage you know.

Is that still possible ?

On 12/14/2018 at 11:56 AM, gettafa said:

Quoted for posterity.

Mrs Scott was no more than a firewall to fend off complaints. Insidious and stubborn in her methods, fobbing people off from their complaints and wriggling off the hook. Her sidekick in the management suite was as bad, but I would add smug with it.

Yes, but this is not Scott (of the Antarctic),another,though their are many at that level across Gov that could wear the name name vocering the behaviour.Time are achanging,and we arent taking them furry turds no more!

2 hours ago, Kardassian Vulture said:

Yes, but this is not Scott (of the Antarctic),another,though their are many at that level across Gov that could wear the name name vocering the behaviour.Time are achanging,and we arent taking them furry turds no more!

Could you please try to post that in English to give those of us without 8senses a chance to know what you are trying to say.?

• Haha 2

On 12/24/2018 at 7:53 PM, dilligaf said:

Is that still possible ?

Careful, Neil might get jealous if you go for 'Phil McCracken' this time.

• Like 1

An extrordinarily brief amount of time was devoted to this:

http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/opqp/sittings/20182021/2018-GD-0092.pdf

in Tynwald this week. Whereas it is only the interim report of Michaels, which may explain why Members essentially said nothing (apart from Robertshaw and Baker) it contains some startling stuff. Interestingly, in all the guff that the Cabinet Office spewed out when it was commissioned, by the Treasury don’t forget, the central message was “This is about why DHSC can’t make ends meet..it’s a money thing”. Almost at the outset of this interim report, Michaels says “...it is clear to me that the immediate priority for the system as a whole should not be solely to understand the funding requirement for the future, but, importantly, to put in place a more efficient and effective organisational structure and culture to enable the delivery of service improvement and high-quality care to the population of the Isle of Man. Simply to increase funding without addressing these other critical aspects would fail to deliver good value for the funding provided”. So in other words, it’s far from being just a money thing.

Also of interest is:”The current governance of the health and social care system, in which the DHSC both sets the priorities and manages delivery, is unlikely to deliver the desired transformation of services. It is likely that my final report will include the recommendation to separate these functions and the establishment of a separate Health and Care Delivery organisation, run by a Board, appointed by and accountable to the Government but, critically, independent of it”.

This is a very big deal. It would essentially remove direct political input/influence from health and care delivery, leaving only policy in the political sphere. Good. It would also dramatically reduce the size of DHSC, with the proposed Delivery Board becoming the big hitter. One other fascinating feature too is that the previously mentioned Cabinet Office guff said something like (I’m paraphrasing here) “The Michaels report will build upon previous reports, blah from 2014, blah blah from 2015..” etc. I’m pretty sure that one of the reports they mentioned proposed the exact same devolution of policy and delivery that Michaels clearly will. But it’s said that proposal was roundly rejected by then Health Minister Quayle. So interesting times ahead in May when the final Michaels report surfaces.

One concluding point; this interim report is dated 6 December and has been in the public domain for at least 2 weeks since the Tynwald Order paper was published. It addresses a topic right at the heart of public services and which costs hundreds of millions each year. What coverage of this have you encountered in the media? No...me neither.

Edited by Uhtred
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

So to paraphrase the current governance is so bad that without radical reform of both the management and working practices any extra funding will just be throwing good money after bad. 

Due to vested interest DHSC can't reorganise a split between health and social care so it will have to be done independently of the current stakeholders to move forward.

Although reporting to gov the new umbrella organisation will have to be independent of gov to prevent the UK shambles of "balancing the financial priorities between the NHS and Social Care" which let them get away with underfunding both - but only for a while.

Hmmm....

• Like 1

It's perverse. "Appointed by, and accountable to government but, critically, independent of it."

How will that work in this 'closed-shop' government? 

Edited by quilp

1 hour ago, quilp said:

It's perverse. "Appointed by, and accountable to government but, critically, independent of it."

How will that work in this 'closed-shop' government? 

Good question. Let’s hope Michaels anticipates it and proposes an answer.

On 12/7/2018 at 9:22 AM, Andy Onchan said:

I feel a FOI request coming up... because despite what the numbers might suggest I reckon they don't stack up. The hole is getting bigger and no one seems to be able to plug it or find a solution to rectify the financial imbalance, particularly where the consultants are practicing privately as well.

Does anyone know when and if the Nobles PPU will shut down?  

Private patients closed its doors at the beginning of January - I have a relly who works up there.

Dr Khan - he of the court case - has now been given the heave ho.  Everyone assumes more to follow.

25 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Private patients closed its doors at the beginning of January - I have a relly who works up there.

Dr Khan - he of the court case - has now been given the heave ho.  Everyone assumes more to follow.

With a goodbye envelope?

Discontent on private Facebook groups.

5 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Resigned is the word you were looking for . I think, Shirley.

• Like 1

I have maintained for a long time this department was unweildy it should be divided up into two sections Health Service and social care.   When things get too big it is difficult to put a finger on what needs to be changed or where things are not right and also where any slackness is or money is being wasted.    People have this idea that mashing things together saves money it does not it is a fallacy, overseeing is more difficult and things that are wrong get hidden.

7 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I have maintained for a long time this department was unweildy it should be divided up into two sections Health Service and social care.   When things get too big it is difficult to put a finger on what needs to be changed or where things are not right and also where any slackness is or money is being wasted.    People have this idea that mashing things together saves money it does not it is a fallacy, overseeing is more difficult and things that are wrong get hidden.

Trouble is that this will also include several new layers of management that is not required

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

A few more "high ups" about to abandon ship I believe.

• Sad 1