Barrie Stevens

They have not said so but what if M&S sees fit to close the store in Douglas? 

Some people would lose the will to live? Emigrate? Even less footfall down town?

I used to be a cleaner in M&S Drumgold Street. One day the then Chairman paid us a "Royal Visit". His Limo he sent on ahead the driver taking the car from London to Heysham and then across on the "Ben". The Chairman then arrived at Ronaldsway on the company jet there to be met by driver and Limo aforesaid.

He then made a tour of the store. Was fawned over etc. He then went back to Ronaldsway in his Limo and flew back to London on the company jet. The driver then took the car back to London on the "Ben" ...

It was at this time that M&S began to make profit warnings and see the first signs of decline. 

M&S in Douglas and any other stores had loads of managers in suits walking around not doing much. Then the order went out that managers had to work! After that we saw managers shelf stacking, tidying up, unloading containers etc.

The manager in Douglas had been with M&S man and boy with long service. He rolled up his sleeves and frankly was better at shelf stacking than many half his age. He had done his apprenticeship.

The antics of the then Chairman showed that M&S had become too grand, too complacent and not caught up with the times. Seems nothing much has changed.

Just now, b4mbi said:

pointless what if, as I would be willing to bet that Douglas is one of it's most profitable stores...

Yes, I was going to say that. But I was going mainly by the food store, which always seems busy. But what about the rest?  I'd be less inclined to say that the clothing is profitable. Lot of space, a lot of staff and they need to sell a lot of knickers to pay for that/them.

40 minutes ago, quilp said:

The proposed store closures are online Baz. The, er, Guardian website has the details. IoM not on it...

The list I looked at referred to "stores across the UK"...I don't think they use a ferry to get stock to the stores listed...

Drumgold Street M&S is not in the UK which is why I raised the question.  So I aver that "What if" applies.

Oh, and  the death of shopping in the town centre draws closer. Which is happening everywhere, as surely as the cotton mills of Manchester are empty today, converted into loft apartments, ball achingly cool hotels etc. 

Brownfield habitats are excellent for wildlife, especially invertebrates, so one day perhaps it could be dynamited and left as ruins.

Edited by guzzi

24 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

:lol: what other cool things make your balls ache? 

Ailsa from Frozen?! :lol::lol:

Whoosh - straight over my head. Never seen it.

But I once had a very cool set of motorcycle leathers that made my balls ache. In fact these days, a lot of things are a ball-ache.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

The list I looked at referred to "stores across the UK"...I don't think they use a ferry to get stock to the stores listed...

Drumgold Street M&S is not in the UK which is why I raised the question.  So I aver that "What if" applies.

Bazza, I am pretty sure that M&S management are not so familiar as you are with the constitutional niceties "hanging pendant from the Crown" (I got that from your voluminous correspondence to the Examiner over the years - thanks!) so I am pretty sure that if their Douglas store was going to close in this latest batch, it would most certainly be on the list.

Edited by woolley