Spam messages. Please stop reporting messages from Orange 15, Ivsa and Pupyh. They’ve been banned. ×

Isle of Man News and Politics

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like you’ve done it many times Howard, the alt accounts that is.

Why unfortunately? Did you want it to be true? 

The irony  

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I know it is like being in a room with a bluebottle, just droning on and being annoying, pass me the scatter...please.

The whole Island is laughing at you unfortunately. Even Dilligaf had the good grace to do one when his number was up. I wonder if he’s quietly moderating elsewhere slightly less drunk and anonymously abusive? (See above for clues) 

Edited by Linz
24 minutes ago, Linz said:

The whole Island is laughing at you unfortunately. Even Dilligaf had the good grace to do one when his number was up. I wonder if he’s quietly moderating elsewhere slightly less drunk and anonymously abusive? (See above for clues) 

Can you not take the hint about derailing topics?

7 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Can you not take the hint about derailing topics?

I’m not derailing a topic. I’m talking about IOM News and Politics and that’s the subject at the top of this thread isn’t it? Hasn’t that group got a new admin and coincidenatally we’ve had a flounce on here? I suppose if you wanted to be taken seriously you’d have to ditch an anonymous angry, drunk, and aggressive persona on somewhere like here just in case. 

Edited by Linz
7 hours ago, Howard said:

That would be Gladys', not Gladys's.

You can use either. Neither is perfect and both have their adherents. I prefer Gladys’s because it indicates you are talking about one person and not several called Glady. 

Whether  the apostrophe is possessive or a contraction of “is” comes from the context, just as it does in this sentence... 

“It’s nobody’s business but Howard’s”  

I don’t see why Neil’s post is any different. 

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Declan said:

You can use either. Neither is perfect and both have their adherents. I prefer Gladys’s because it indicates you are talking about one person and not several called Glady. 

What might be the collective term for a group of Gladys''s

11 hours ago, Declan said:

Whether  the apostrophe is possessive or a contraction of “is” comes from the context, just as it does in this sentence... 

How many ladies do you know called Glady?

11 hours ago, Declan said:

In the context of Neil's post, Gladys' is the correct way to write it. We know there is only on Gladys under discussion.

Like I said either is acceptable. 

It’s a matter of personal preference. I prefer “Gladys’s” approach for the reasons I explained earlier.

I agree it doesn’t matter much in this case because there’s only one Gladys and nobody called  Glady. However, there are plenty of times it wouldn’t be, for example - 

the Smiths’ car

the Smiths’s tourbus

(the first being the Smith family and the second being The Smiths band). 

So for consistency I prefer s’s  

48 minutes ago, Declan said:

I agree it doesn’t matter much in this case because there’s only one Gladys and nobody called  Glady. However, there are plenty of times it wouldn’t be, for example - 

In the olden days of Manx.net a post like that would have prompted a Glady or two to be created. And a .Gladys.

Such simple tireless innocent fun was the forums back then.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1