Isle of Man News and Politics

7 minutes ago, Declan said:

That wouldn't save anything. They all receive the same expenses no matter what they spend it on. Rob, at least, tries to justify what the money goes on. 

Correct.

IIRC they didn't "take" a payrise.

Instead they hit on the wizard wheeze to roll THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT of annual expenses into their stipend.

Only a charlatan would call it a payrise via the back door and ask awkward questions about tax, pensionable etc etc to show it for what it really is.....

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like you’ve done it many times Howard, the alt accounts that is.

Why unfortunately? Did you want it to be true? 

The irony  

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Declan said:

That wouldn't save anything. They all receive the same expenses no matter what they spend it on. Rob, at least, tries to justify what the money goes on. 

But he always seems to fail miserably at justifying anything and in this case effectively highlights what a ridiculous freebie it is as he can’t even make up enough things to arrive back at the figure that he has been given. If you want to publish what you’ve spent it on I think it’s more honorable to just make charitable donations to good causes from it rather than list expenditure that’s just normal expenditure like petrol or new clothing. It just highlights even more how they shouldn’t be getting anything as they’re not costs associated with running a private office, renting surgery space, or employing secretarial support - or indeed any of the actual things you’d assume MHK expenses would be used for in order to support their constituents. . 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
21 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

But he always seems to fail miserably at justifying anything and in this case effectively highlights what a ridiculous freebie it is as he can’t even make up enough things to arrive back at the figure that he has been given. 

It isn't just expenses, that dumb blog has lifted the lid on just what an expensive indulgence of overblown small town the whole system is on the island. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

But he always seems to fail miserably at justifying anything and in this case effectively highlights what a ridiculous freebie it is as he can’t even make up enough things to arrive back at the figure that he has been given. If you want to publish what you’ve spent it on I think it’s more honorable to just make charitable donations to good causes from it rather than list expenditure that’s just normal expenditure like petrol or new clothing. It just highlights even more how they shouldn’t be getting anything as they’re not costs associated with running a private office, renting surgery space, or employing secretarial support - or indeed any of the actual things you’d assume MHK expenses would be used for in order to support their constituents. . 

I don't understand why we should be paying for his new suits. I have to buy my own

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Declan said:

I had to go and look at this with people discussing it. So this is the list and I’d say that those marked ## really aren’t relevant to performing your job as an MHK at all. I have to pay for carparking and for my personal mobile phone. Does he have a special mobile phone just for MHK work or is it just paying for a mobile that everyone has anyway as family and friends need to contract them? A website? Why? Back dating it? Why? Suits? Why? Christmas cards? Why? I’d say if you were in business only around £1,000 of that expenditure would be signed off by your employer as being valid disbursements to do with your job. So really he’s proved that it is just free money given to people for nothing. 

£600.00 - Hire Charges, Onchan Community Centre (Monthly Political Surgeries)
£238.02 – Stationery and Stamps
£753.42 - Manx Telecom - Mobile Phone Contract ## 
£241.75 - Car Hire for the Association of Independent Museums Conference (Jun 18) 
£97.00 - Printing Costs ## 
£22.00 - Petrol Car Hire for the AIM Conference (Jun 18) 
£1,050.00 - New Website – www.robcallister.im ##
£1,100.00 – Backdating, Maintenance and updating of Website ## 
£348.99 - Government Car Parking Charges ## 
£137.92 - Christmas Cards ## 
£560.00 – Clothing (2 New Suits & Shirts etc) ## 
£605.00 – Professional Fees & Membership ## 
£215.00 – Small Donations etc ## 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Difficult to judge unless they all submit something like this though. 

I doubt many would be daft enough which makes his itemization of pretty much nothing even more bizarre. It reads like clutching at straws to come up with something. I suppose the others just pocket it for what it is - free money for nothing. So they’d be better doing away with it all together and making them submit proper expense claims because in the case of Callister it would seem the taxpayer could have got away with funding him by about £1,000 rather than the £7,000 he trousered for nothing and then belatedly made up items for. 

23 minutes ago, Linz said:

I had to go and look at this with people discussing it. So this is the list and I’d say that those marked ## really aren’t relevant to performing your job as an MHK at all. I have to pay for carparking and for my personal mobile phone. Does he have a special mobile phone just for MHK work or is it just paying for a mobile that everyone has anyway as family and friends need to contract them? A website? Why? Back dating it? Why? Suits? Why? Christmas cards? Why? I’d say if you were in business only around £1,000 of that expenditure would be signed off by your employer as being valid disbursements to do with your job. So really he’s proved that it is just free money given to people for nothing. 

£600.00 - Hire Charges, Onchan Community Centre (Monthly Political Surgeries)
£238.02 – Stationery and Stamps
£753.42 - Manx Telecom - Mobile Phone Contract ## 
£241.75 - Car Hire for the Association of Independent Museums Conference (Jun 18) 
£97.00 - Printing Costs ## 
£22.00 - Petrol Car Hire for the AIM Conference (Jun 18) 
£1,050.00 - New Website – www.robcallister.im ##
£1,100.00 – Backdating, Maintenance and updating of Website ## 
£348.99 - Government Car Parking Charges ## 
£137.92 - Christmas Cards ## 
£560.00 – Clothing (2 New Suits & Shirts etc) ## 
£605.00 – Professional Fees & Membership ## 
£215.00 – Small Donations etc ## 

I think some of the costs you've highlighted as ## would have been provided by a private sector business maybe through the use of shared services - Printing Costs, Christmas Cards (if you're in a sales or account manager role), Professional Fees and Memberships (only those relevant to the role), potentially a work mobile if it needs to be separate from the work one (that's increasing less common).

However he's getting the money anyway, I suppose it's better it's spent on a website that "informs" his constituents of his activities or small donations to good causes, than a golf club membership or a city break. It's easy when we see his list to nitpick individual items but he deserves credit for transparency, because in doing so he's (probably inadvertently) highlighted the absurdity of this payment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
48 minutes ago, Declan said:

I think some of the costs you've highlighted as ## would have been provided by a private sector business maybe through the use of shared services - Printing Costs, Christmas Cards (if you're in a sales or account manager role), Professional Fees and Memberships (only those relevant to the role), potentially a work mobile if it needs to be separate from the work one (that's increasing less common).

However he's getting the money anyway, I suppose it's better it's spent on a website that "informs" his constituents of his activities or small donations to good causes, than a golf club membership or a city break. It's easy when we see his list to nitpick individual items but he deserves credit for transparency, because in doing so he's (probably inadvertently) highlighted the absurdity of this payment.

It would be interesting to see how the others claim their "expenses"

12 minutes ago, Declan said:

They don't bother itemising them. They're getting the money anyway. 

Yes. Some £7,000 per annum. How nice it must be to just award yourself an annual wedge with no questions asked.

One of the suits purchased will be a Tynwald Day Monkey effort as last year the hire cost was some £380 (hard to believe I know. Had it been the CM however.....)

I personally believe they should all bang in receipts and any of the £7k not spent should be either taxed or returned.

Yep. That's right. They awarded it to themselves tax free.....

1 hour ago, Declan said:

That’s sort of what I said but really we could have saved £6,000 in this case by just paying him for valid expenses incurred supported by receipts and not just giving him £7,000. If we did that across all MHKs we’d save £144,000 assuming other MHks claimed expenses were just as spurious / made up and they just kept all the dosh instead. I dont see why a claim is valid for new suits when a bank worker doesn’t get paid for buying suits on expenses and if a claim was submitted it would be laughed at by their employer. If you have a professional job then you need to have a suit it’s not an expense your employer should be funding. 

Edited by Linz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, P.K. said:

Only a charlatan would call it a payrise via the back door and ask awkward questions about tax, pensionable etc etc to show it for what it really is.....

I don't think a charlatan would; they would call it an expense increase and not ask awkward questions. Unless you know a charlatan with integrity.

Edited by Gladys

Come on, everyone on here would trouser the whole expense amount each year..maybe not Declan, think he has morals. I know I’d take the fkn lot. Fuck you all. 

Anyway it’s no different to all the cash in hand jobs everyone does. Or the eBay warriors trousering thousands each year, tax free. 

So knob off with all this shit.