Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
hissingsid

Isle of Man News and Politics

I’m unaware of what went on there, I’m trying to do a bit of googling and finding nothing. Also the search function on here, I can’t get past page 1 without an error occurring. 

4 minutes ago, Gizo said:

I’m unaware of what went on there, I’m trying to do a bit of googling and finding nothing. Also the search function on here, I can’t get past page 1 without an error occurring. 

If you use the search function on these forums you’ll get it quite quickly. Around 2006 I think. 

Yeah. those Saabs eh. Brakes aren't designed properly and don't stop you in time when you are out driving fast in your car to dry it off after washing it. etc. etc. One pile of shite after another.

The deemster bought it though*. And that's all that counts.

*or was bought??

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, Gizo said:

There may even be laws to stop you searching it. I wouldn't be surprised. Best not search too hard as they'll take the whole forum off the internets.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Yeah. those Saabs eh. Brakes aren't designed properly and don't stop you in time when you are out driving fast in your car to dry it off after washing it. etc. etc. One pile of shite after another.

The deemster bought it though. And that's all that counts.

The threads started used to disappear very frequently was my recollection. Sometimes overnight. Lots of Duff threads .. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

5 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

If you use the search function on these forums you’ll get it quite quickly. Around 2006 I think. 

Nope. I type hillberry in the search function and it crashes each time. Try any other word and it’s fine. Any other useful word I could use?

13 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

The appeal is online, although I can't see the original case.

https://www.judgments.im/content/J265.htm

You wouldn’t find the original case reported on line. Juries don’t give reasoned explanations, in legal terms, just guilty, or not guilty, verdicts.

5 hours ago, gettafa said:

The deemster bought it though*. And that's all that counts.

*or was bought??

I know you are cynical about Manx Justice. But the Deemster didn’t “buy it”. It was a jury verdict. They acquitted of death by dangerous, but convicted of due care. Defendant appealed, unsuccessfully.

So no-one was bought.

The case presented did not convince the jury so that they could be really sure to convict of the serious offence.

There was, naturally, much sympathy with the family of the deceased, and there were some scurrilous posts about the defendant, which had to be removed for legal reasons.

No one was bought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Nope. I type hillberry in the search function and it crashes each time. Try any other word and it’s fine. Any other useful word I could use?

You won’t find the discussion of this incident here. Most of it happened on Manx-Online. 

When Manx-Net shut its forums, in about April 04 Slim set up Manx-Online and Unisol set up MF. Initially, most posters moved to Manx-Online - it had lots of mods each responsible for their own section of the forum. It was consequently quite anarchic. 

Unfortunately, there were legal threats and Slim took an understandable decision to close down Manx-online. 

Everyone then moved to MF in about July 04 and that has turned out to be more robust. Not least because it took the decision to aviod a certain subject. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Declan said:

Everyone then moved to MF in about July 04 and that has turned out to be more robust. Not least because it took the decision to aviod a certain subject. 

I was looking at the WTF comment where reference to Hillbery was made. Was that someone trying to hint at that posters identity? Or does it just read badly? 

Edited by Linz

19 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I know you are cynical about Manx Justice. But the Deemster didn’t “buy it”. It was a jury verdict. They acquitted of death by dangerous, but convicted of due care. Defendant appealed, unsuccessfully.

So no-one was bought.

The case presented did not convince the jury so that they could be really sure to convict of the serious offence.

There was, naturally, much sympathy with the family of the deceased, and there were some scurrilous posts about the defendant, which had to be removed for legal reasons.

No one was bought.

The only thing that may have been considered 'bought' was a comprehensive defence perhaps? These things tend to get pre-judged I think, without taking into consideration all of the possible variables which a court must do.

9 minutes ago, Linz said:

I was looking at the WTF comment where reference to Hillbery was made. Was that someone trying to hint at that posters identity? Or does it just read badly? 

I think the issue is you reading it badly. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Declan said:

I think the issue is you reading it badly. 

You got there before me, Declan. Can’t make out if Linz has comprehension deficit or is trouble causing. She needs to wind her neck in.

• Thanks 2