Why is it that it is a criminal offence to deny or question the Holocaust or to insult Jews

yootalkin2me

18 minutes ago, Snorri said:

Jews are not a race. Nor are Jews a religion. Jews are a nation, a people, a civilisation.

As far as free speech is concerned, I 100% believe in freedom of speech, including for morons who deny the Holocaust happened.

I am unaware of any special laws protecting Jews from insult. It is Muslims who seem to have special protection, even to the point where pointing out crimes done by Muslims will get you put in prison, as is happening to Tommy Robinson. I'm not a fan of him but I think it's appalling that he face prison for exercising freedom of speech.

Judaism IS to belong to a race. Judaism IS a religion ( where DO  you get these silly ideas from?) There is no legislation prohibiting the insulting of Jewish people but there is legislation under the race relations legislation criminalising  the incitement of hate towards Jewish people just as there is criminalising hatred against Moslem people. However there's no legislation against condemnation of Islam or Judaism per se.  Nor should there be.

Interestingly if the Qur'ran were to be published today it would be banned for inciting hate before it even hit the booksellers and the author either jailed or sectioned or preferably both without a moment's delay.

2 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

Tommy Robinson (Stephen Lennon to use his proper name) when to prison for mortgage fraud, not sure what that has to do with Muslims. 

It's often the case where the only thing that can be hung on someone has little to do with what the authorities want to get them for.  A prime example, one of many, was when All Capone was banged up for tax fraud.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rog said:

It's often the case where the only thing that can be hung on someone has little to do with what the authorities want to get them for.  A prime example, one of many, was when All Capone was banged up for tax fraud.

Nah, Tommy is just a dick who likes trouble. Surprised you're defending him given his anti-semitic record.

30 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Nah, Tommy is just a dick who likes trouble. Surprised you're defending him given his anti-semitic record.

Would your care to give examples of the EDL and Lennon's alleged Jude Haas record? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rog said:

Would your care to give examples of the EDL and Lennon's alleged Jude Haas record? 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/tommy-robinson-poland-edl-right-rally-anti-semitism-islam-signs-holocaust-attendance-a8053356.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/tommy-robinson-manchester-jews-islamophobic-racism-edl-leader-english-defence-league-a7825016.html

http://talkradio.co.uk/news/former-edl-leader-tommy-robinson-attends-anti-semitic-march-poland-17111320849

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/former-edl-leader-tommy-robinson-attends-far-right-march-in-warsaw-where-demonstrators-called-for-a-jew-free-poland-1.447888

The man is a criminal. His latest stupidity at the courts potentially affects the criminal justice system from doing its job. If those guys are guilty (I suspect they are) I want the courts to deal with them, not some stupid vigilante type like Tommy, etc.

Edited by mojomonkey
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Snorri said:

I didn't say "Judaism". I said "Jews". I suggest you learn to read.

Judaism is he religion followed by and the nationality of Jewish people. Even secular Jewish people such as myself retain that identity and retain the inalienable right to undertake Aliyah.  

23 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Did you actually read the links that you have shown?

I suggest that you re-read them.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rog said:

Judaism is he religion followed by and the nationality of Jewish people. Even secular Jewish people such as myself retain that identity and retain the inalienable right to undertake Aliyah.   

Again, I suggest you go back and re-read what I wrote. You're arguing with yourself.

Not sure why people blame Hitler, Mao, Stalin etc....it was the government of the time that committed the crimes, somewhere in the region of 262,000,000 people killed during the 20th century by their governments is closer to the truth...I would think the latest "democratically elected"  bunch will likely do a better job for the 21st century.

19 minutes ago, gerrydandridge said:

Not sure why people blame Hitler, Mao, Stalin etc....it was the government of the time that committed the crimes, somewhere in the region of 262,000,000 people killed during the 20th century by their governments is closer to the truth...I would think the latest "democratically elected"  bunch will likely do a better job for the 21st century.

and who ran those governments then?  :sweat:

or did they all fall off the edge of the flat earth ?

Edited by dilligaf

3 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

The man is a criminal. His latest stupidity at the courts potentially affects the criminal justice system from doing its job. If those guys are guilty (I suspect they are) I want the courts to deal with them, not some stupid vigilante type like Tommy, etc.

not a fan of the guy, but care to explain how someone stood outside a courthouse is a risk......

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, woody2 said:

not a fan of the guy, but care to explain how someone stood outside a courthouse is a risk......

Was he really just stood there doing nothing, just minding his own business?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-impact-of-social-media-on-the-administration-of-justice

Edited by mojomonkey