Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
gettafa

TT2018 - entertainment, tents and that

12 hours ago, wrighty said:

And this is what I heard today - the Hooded Ram guy is taking the government to court as his contract for the bottleneck stipulated no other beer tents in Douglas. 

FWIW I enjoyed both locations - I hope they’re both there next year for more of the same. 

his contract was with doug corp......

10 hours ago, Trueblood said:

The only issue would seem to be the lack of a tender process for the Villa gardens

why would you need a tender? you can hire it at any time......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, english zloty said:

I don't believe they did. 

Eta: did HR also bid for the street entertainment which was hurriedly put together outside their door? Thought not.

stated in the paper that they did outbid.....

If the weather had been bad like previous years, how many punters would have stood outside at the Villa and how many would have been in the dry at the bottleneck carpark ?

Many different variables have played here, but the punters have won in the end.

The HR site was originally designed completely differently to the tent that was put there but there was mis-communication in the planning department and Health & Safety so the plan was stalled until rescued at the eleventh hour. It was then too late to do the original plan so they had to go to a backup. In the meantime the brewery looked at the HR plans and nicked it to create their new format at the grandstand .....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gettafa said:

and a Van Morrison waxwork wheeled on one year.

How very accurate. 

12 hours ago, dilligaf said:

When the bottleneck site was put up for tender, the wimps in the Gov. should have stated that the Villa would also be available for the period.

In keeping quiet and letting HR/Raj tender and win the bottleneck , then give the Villa site to Martin, the Gov. have been at best underhanded and at worst CORRUPT.

I am ashamed of the way this turned out and it is an embarrassment to the island as a whole.

You come over as a very angry person. Life is not just black or white, there are many shades in between. You don’t seem to see those shades. I feel quite uncomfortable reading some of your late night angry pants posts. You can pick up on one word that offends and go into a rage. Why do you come here? It’s not for debate because you are firmly rooted in your opinions and are not for turning. Is it just to vent all that anger built up inside? If so, there are healthier ways of dealing with it  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

When Martin lost the bottleneck tender the island was up in arms. Loyalty posts by the hundred here and other places. Martin just licked his wounds for a short time,  got his shit together and decided to rent the Villa instead. As Woody2 says, anyone could rent it.  I’m struggling to see why there is still so much bad feeling about Martin and and Raj when they are just two business men trying to do their best to maintain their brand. 

• Like 2

And despite Dilligafs negativity. This is not an embarrassment for the Island. All three venues were successful in their own way. This is cause for celebration, not embarrassment. Some people on the internet just love to see the worst in everything. It clouds the good stuff and pulls you down. Maybe some like to be down. Me not. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, wrighty said:

And this is what I heard today - the Hooded Ram guy is taking the government to court as his contract for the bottleneck stipulated no other beer tents in Douglas. 

No one just takes anyone to court or 'sues' just like that.

Fucksake, the TT is only just over. If there is a problem it is sorted out by traditional means, then if necessary using lawyers then if necessary yes, court. But fucksake again, no one just 'goes to court'.

When you heard this was the person a) in a pub and b) pissed

• Thanks 1

I liked Hooded Ram until the Bottleneck saga began and bought from them. I had a bad feeling towards them after taking what Bushy's had initiated and built up. I'd certainly stopped buying their products as a result. But ecobob's right HR had made a legitimate business decision to tender,  just one that also had negative consequences to how their business is viewed. 

However, the way it's played out with Bushy's triumphing at the Villa. I'm inclined to draw a line under things and start buying from HR again. 

Obviously, legal action against the govt because they wanted to prevent Bushys having a tent anywhere (although that seems unlikely) in Douglas would destroy any hope of winning back goodwill. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The biggest lesson for everyone to take away from all of this is that every ten years, when we get freakish California weather for a couple of weeks, people prefer standing in the Villa gardens than in a car park.  Who would have thunk it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

One thing's for sure.... the divide between who calls the shots (corpy or IOMG) or who gets what seems very unprofessional. A bit like the traders' licences. Do those businesses in Nobles Park have to tender with the Corpy (Douglas ratepayers own the park), IOMG or both? 

Seems to be the usual Isle of Man clusterfeck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

When you heard this was the person a) in a pub and b) pissed

No and no.  However, possibly yes and yes if the question is asked of the person who told me.

I only posted this, and I did say it's 'what I heard today' rather than offering it as a sworn affidavit, in response to Mr Sausages' pithy line about MF being the best site for TT carpark speculation in the world, or whatever it was.  Not sure why everyone is taking it so seriously.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dilligaf said:

When the bottleneck site was put up for tender, the wimps in the Gov. should have stated that the Villa would also be available for the period.

In keeping quiet and letting HR/Raj tender and win the bottleneck , then give the Villa site to Martin, the Gov. have been at best underhanded and at worst CORRUPT.

I am ashamed of the way this turned out and it is an embarrassment to the island as a whole.

But Bottleneck licence controlled by Corpy, and Villa by Government. I really seriously doubt Martin approached Govt for Villa prior to bidding for Bottleneck...

Also, there was nothing stopping HR approaching Govt about the Villa before bidding for bottleneck.

Gov't don't need to advertise Villa is available! Both parties had the opportunity to approach Government prior to the bid for the bottleneck to enquire about Villa, but neither did as they were both blinkered towards the Bottleneck site.

Bushy's - cause they've always been there (since Bushy's on Victoria St closed)
HR - cause they wanted to muscle in on the action.

Corpy wanted to try and get best deal for it's site for Douglas ratepayers, which clearly they decided a 5 year lease to HR would achieve.

Bushy's clearly bid for the Bottleneck as well, and were disappointed to lose it and that forced a total re-think on their part, which lead to the Villa.

I very much doubt there was any forethought or this was planned or there was any element of corruption.

Anything after that is sour grapes from HR, as the Bushy's village seemed to be massively successful!