Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  

Beneficial Register MPs visiting IOM

Twas a sneaky amendment that failed and will fail again next time.

Has anyone actually seen this 'Letter of Entitlement'?

Who issued it?

What does it say?

15 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Tynwald is sovereign on the IOM but within the context of being subject to British sovereignty and the Crown Dependency relationship...

Now, the City of London is not sovereign and someone is extracting the urine in raising the spectre of some fellow sitting behind Mr Speaker's chair in the Commons like a theatrical prompt corner keeping him in line.

The "City" is the Square Mile or basically the original area of the walled city. Today it is the Corporation of London with Lord Mayor, Aldermen and Common Council..Freemen and Liverymen It is assumed to be incorporated simply because it is so old and rich. Basically it is like any other City just older.

It has the right to alter its own constitution. It has its own police force and overall it is a bit like the IOM in that there are the odd little constitutional oddities here and there.

However, national legislation exists to make sure that at times the City is just like any London borough. It is certainly not sovereign and not a City State like the Vatican. There is mention of the City in Magna Carta but overall it is just local government in a unique part of the London area with its Mansion House, Lord Mayor and Lord Mayor's Parade. 

It is not immune from the legislation as shall be passed by Parliament. 

You make it sound like the City is just a little left over quirk of history that no-one has gotten round to sorting yet. I think it's a little more important than that. I know it's more ceremonial than anything else that when the Queen wishes to enter the City she is met by the Mayor and all are in full regalia but it's not just another Canary Wharf with a bit more pomp.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

The Island hosted a reception there..

Yes, as I alluded to - a willy wagging reception. Right there in their tent.

As if they didn't realise that these thick hicks from a greedy rock in the Irish Sea had gained their immense wealth from receiving a few £million a week extra from the VAT Common Purse for a number of years. 

Edited by gettafa

56 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

You make it sound like the City is just a little left over quirk of history that no-one has gotten round to sorting yet. I think it's a little more important than that. I know it's more ceremonial than anything else that when the Queen wishes to enter the City she is met by the Mayor and all are in full regalia but it's not just another Canary Wharf with a bit more pomp.

happens in other city's........

9 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Who issued it?

What does it say?

It was reported at the time and is now very old. Go to Tynwald Library and ask them or External Relations.

9 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Who issued it?

What does it say?

You mean Letter of Entrustment...

8 hours ago, Lxxx said:

I am still very much a City man inside and a retired member of the Baltic Exchange and I do know about the City but not necessarily my way round it now with non-stop building...I was one of the early residents of the City in the Barbican complex (Ben Jonson House)...

I have at least three invitations a year to "shindigs" in the guild halls..At the end of the day the City is still an aspect of local government but been around so long. As I said, there is legislation linking it at times to the London boroughs.

The City has held on to its traditions. As I said, bit like IOM which never gave up Tynwald Fair..A lot of the City is to do with wealth and tradition and ceremony and which masks a lot more goings on. You really need money to be Lord Mayor of London. Not sure if they still have the turtles from the Falklands to make soup for the Lord Mayor's shindig but the Lord Mayor needs some coin to hold that office.

The last meal offered by the outgoing Lord Mayor was traditionally like cold shoulder of mutton to show he had spanked off all his Bennies. Hence the term "Getting/giving the cold shoulder"...I used to be taken to the Lord Mayor's show/parade and many years ago one of my kin fell off a coach and got run over..

8 hours ago, gettafa said:

Yes, as I alluded to - a willy wagging reception. Right there in their tent.

As if they didn't realise that these thick hicks from a greedy rock in the Irish Sea had gained their immense wealth from receiving a few £million a week extra from the VAT Common Purse for a number of years. 

There was some disrespect and sniggering as recorded by Manx Radio and commented on at the time. A lot of the boys and girls from the City were there for the beer and talked during the speechifying.

14 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

It was reported at the time and is now very old. Go to Tynwald Library and ask them or External Relations.

I'm not going to Douglas

It's a dump

• Like 2

I think everything is on this website: Crown Dependencies

There's lots there. Including a note about the Home Office once having a Manx cat.

44 minutes ago, gettafa said:

There's lots there. Including a note about the Home Office once having a Manx cat.

Do you think Rob Callister might have donated his much played with cat to the Home Office in order to try to ensure a smooth Brexit passage for Howard? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

I think everything is on this website: Crown Dependencies

All as clear as mud... that guidance indicates that UK cannot legislate for us directly without our agreement. So if we don't agree to a public beneficial ownership register, on the grounds that we already have an effective, regulated beneficial ownership register fully accessible to law enforcement, public registers not international norm, can UK really enforce this "nosey parkers charter" on us?  What happened to privacy? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I read some of the so-called constitutional reports and it contains a lot of language that Isle of Man should do as the UK does. I can go through and quote it FWIW but it is pretty clear how the UK want to treat the Isle of Man. Read some of the memorandums in the last linked zip file.

Look, we had a Whitehall history degree qualified civil servant write it in a memorandum so it must be right. We've lots of them going back as long ago as 30 years and more and they even refer back to that 18th Century thing. And we put the bit about  the Manx cat at the end of one of them to show how solid and friendly our relationship is (you subservient to us so shut up).

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2