Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
dilligaf

Red Arrows 2018

2 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

Possibly something to do with post Shoreham incident.

I think we all know what the woodster meant.

24 minutes ago, woody2 said:

restrictions came in after the shoreham air crash......

3 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

Possibly something to do with post Shoreham incident.

slow coach...

Just now, Bobbie Bobster said:

no you misunderstood......

1 minute ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

I don't read 99% of his posts so may have missed what ever it was he posted.

• Thanks 1

It was a good display, as usual. And I agree, the finish was a bit of an anticlimax. Notwithstanding that the dolphins off Onchan Head were worth watching as well. Anyone else see them?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

Because its not even remotely free.  How many hundreds of thousands of pounds do you think it costs to keep those planes in the air just for the period of the display, let alone transit time back and forth to said display, the hundreds of thousands of pounds it costs to maintain those planes, pay for the dozens of support staff and pilots, etc.

Regarding the cost of the display to the requester (ie the IOM Government), a figure of around £9000 is the current asking price.

The team can receive upwards of 400 requests a year for a display and are only able to do around a quarter of them due to time constraints

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It was a good display, as usual. And I agree, the finish was a bit of an anticlimax. Notwithstanding that the dolphins off Onchan Head were worth watching as well. Anyone else see them?

Strewth!  Missed that completely.

image.png.1537bd662950b1e0416e8da375986f00.png

2 hours ago, woody2 said:

they only came from raf valley:rolleyes: 45 minutes from take off to landing...

45 minutes?  Did they row here as it's only 41 miles.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, mbx said:

a figure of around £9000 is the current asking price.

The team can receive upwards of 400 requests a year for a display and are only able to do around a quarter of them due to time constraints

The govt should set the price higher if the demand exists.

49 minutes ago, mbx said:

Regarding the cost of the display to the requester (ie the IOM Government), a figure of around £9000 is the current asking price.

Are you sure that £9000 is right? Shouldn't there be another zero at the end? Or is that £9000/5 mins or some other sort of calculation?

At £9K I could afford that to celebrate my 21st birthday next year (ahem)!

19 minutes ago, finlo said:

45 minutes?  Did they row here as it's only 41 miles.

actual 48 minutes.....

Depart RAF Valley: 1914

Display Isle of Man TT Races, Douglas: 1930

Arrive RAF Valley: 2002

4 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

Because its not even remotely free.  How many hundreds of thousands of pounds do you think it costs to keep those planes in the air just for the period of the display, let alone transit time back and forth to said display, the hundreds of thousands of pounds it costs to maintain those planes, pay for the dozens of support staff and pilots, etc.

I was under the impression that the IOM Govt does not pay for the Red Arrows as such because it comes out of the "Imperial Contribution" as it was called ie the annual sum the Island pays to HMG for various things like defence, consular services etc.

I recall that when they wanted to exclude the Lt Governor from Tynwald Hill one year the UK said OK...But if he is not atop the hill than it is not a state occasion and so you will not get the flypast, brass bands and all the razamatazz as without the Lt Governor you have just a simple county council type status.

I was under the impression that the military presence at Tynwald Fair also comes out of the "Imperial Contribution"

I know the TT is not a state occasion but I thought the Red Arrows came out of the money paid to the UK every year so whilst not free as such it seems I think to be "free at the point of delivery"....Anyone know better?