Red Cross lose contract for patient transfer

6 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

It only has the drivers if they were being paid to be idle, otherwise it will have to pay for the additional man-hours, and as the SAVE report http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/opqp/sittings/Tynwald 20162018/2018-GD-0030.pdf explains on p24 "Crew schedules and terms and conditions of employment – it has been identified that in comparison to other bus operators Bus Vannin’s salary costs are high." - so it is not a given that the Gov't labour for driving and maintaining the buses will be cheaper than the Red Cross.

Yep, you are that green Dilli ;)  Charities do not in general provide for free services that public sector organisations are obliged to provide, such as patient transport, instead it is common for charities to provide such "3rd sector" services on a semi-commercial* basis because the additional volume helps to create the critical mass needed in order to make the real charitable purposes economically viable.

*semi-commercial because the income from such a service helps to amortise fixed / establishment costs inherent in providing the charitable purposes. 

I would be surprised if Bus Vannin can genuinely provide the same service at lower real cost than Red Cross, but if they can use the extra business to absorb overcapacity in their fleet and drivers, and they already have suitable adapted vehicles and appropriately trained staff to cope with "special assistance" passengers then they made be able to price it more cheaply.

The drivers will be paid slightly higher per hour but the overall cast may well be cheaper

Dont be too surprised

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The earlier press release states quite clearly that 10 special disability-adapted mini buses where bought in advance specifically to do that contract. How can cost be an issue when such a huge capital

Overall the costs are cheaper as none of their capital costs are probably rolled into their pricing. So they can spend £5M on new vehicles and it’s instantly written off and then their operating cost

I remember when I first came over to the island, the bus service from the airport to the rest of the island was piss poor. Especially on a weekend. I dread to think what people thought once they got o

Posted Images

15 hours ago, dilligaf said:

The drivers will be paid slightly higher per hour but the overall cast may well be cheaper

Dont be too surprised

Overall the costs are cheaper as none of their capital costs are probably rolled into their pricing. So they can spend £5M on new vehicles and it’s instantly written off and then their operating cost budget basically takes over to put fuel in them and pay drivers which they budget against. They still won’t answer an FOI on how much they’ve spend buying buses either. Like most IOMG departments their economies are basically just made up. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Dirty Buggane said:

About buses anybody seen the new purple one's doing the rounds on english plates. Are they just try before buy and if so why, are the Mercs buggered already or just Longworth money getting short ?

Yeah I saw that and wondered the same.

Those old busses must be about 3 years old now. How are they still going ?

5 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Are they just try before buy and if so why, are the Mercs buggered already or just Longworth money getting short ?

Both.

I saw one of the Mercs during TT week struggling up Avondale Rd, Onchan belching out fumes like a Chinese steelworks. I thought.... that's knackered that is. I wonder what they'll replace it with... and guess what? Someone sees new buses on English plates. There's yer answer!

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, nelwd said:

Bus Vannin had some additional buses over for during TT. They are going back again now that it is over. Not sure if they were hired in, or 'demonstrators' on a free loan.

Boat fare would cancel out any money they made!

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/red-cross-transport-offer-came-over-budget-dhsc/

There's something not right about how this has been handled. What percentage was the bid over the budget? That at least should be made public.

If the contract is/was based purely on budget and nothing else, then why wasn't BV invited to bid alongside the RC, if only for benchmarking purposes??

A possible 16 people now stand to lose their jobs on this, which means less money going into the exchequer. I do hope that was taken into account when the decision was made.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/red-cross-transport-offer-came-over-budget-dhsc/

There's something not right about how this has been handled. What percentage was the bid over the budget? That at least should be made public.

If the contract is/was based purely on budget and nothing else, then why wasn't BV invited to bid alongside the RC, if only for benchmarking purposes??

A possible 16 people now stand to lose their jobs on this, which means less money going into the exchequer. I do hope that was taken into account when the decision was made.

Not the first time. I have seen before Gov't deciding a budget prior to inviting tenders, not telling the  tenderers who then do lots of work to prepare a submission to do a job properly and are then excluded because they're over the budget. It's very unprofessional, if there is a cap then Gov't should declare it up front otherwise they cause firms to waste lots of time and effort when they would not have bothered tendering. 

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I think in this context “over budget” means “priced based on economic reality” rather than a made up number the multi million pound losing Bus Vannin plucked out of its arse. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1
47 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I think in this context “over budget” means “priced based on economic reality” rather than a made up number the multi million pound losing Bus Vannin plucked out of its arse. 

But that's the point, BV was not asked to pluck anything out of their arse, let alone a turtlehead!

As Steve says, it's highly unprofessional and says a lot about the tendering process & mindset of the decision-makers, the Minister in particular. The Boy David has done himself no favours whatsoever.

• Like 1

They are totally commercially illiterate because they don't have to operate with risk. Well, not their own risk, only the taxpayers'. That's the problem. They look at an in-house proposal vs a private tender and they haven't a clue which will cost more in reality. Same thing will happen with this Public Defender scheme. Not a clue.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, woolley said:

They are totally commercially illiterate because they don't have to operate with risk. Well, not their own risk, only the taxpayers'. That's the problem. They look at an in-house proposal vs a private tender and they haven't a clue which will cost more in reality. Same thing will happen with this Public Defender scheme. Not a clue.

Yep. I can see the Public Defender Scheme going tits up as well.

• Like 1