Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Ham_N_Eggs

Cost of the TT & Festival of Motorsport?

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

'Wings' though?

Bad PR idea. Just like the Nova in Spain - no va = 'not going'.

No no no no nooooo!

An urban myth.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope DEAD get their act together and sort out proper sponsorship for the Sidecar Races. Being sponsored by IOM taxpayers via Locate.IM really isn’t good, they can’t use this next year. With all the companies and supposed connections of our ‘wonderful superior politicians’, you would think they would know how to creep, fawn and lick backsides as well as networking. If they can’t get sponsors, it’s time to throw in the towel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lost Login said:

Is there not a difference whether or not you are from the UK? I understand the reciprocity with regard to the IoM and the UK and their residents but thought that everywhere else that was not the case?

Non UK riders must have insurance to cover repatriation and medical treatment. This is checked at signing on.

2 hours ago, english zloty said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/callister-confident-on-overall-tt-numbers/

The biggest TT ever and yet we are hoping to get lucky with arrivals through the airport. Hmm Rob spouts shite shock horror

Who said it was the biggest TT ever? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest and the bestest TT ever if you believe our politicos. Yes it was successful, in part due to the weather, and LAP records being broken, which for many was exciting  but it wasn’t a success, due to deaths in racing, death on the open road and some terrible injuries, suffered. Next year it could be different with constant pouring rain, cancellations of practice, lack of practice - cancellation of racing, which has happened on Senior TT day, due to poor weather. It’s all well and good spouting success and best, biggest TT etc, if the arrival figures show year and year increases. Sadly they are on the decline, cost I’m sure plays a part, plus lack of suitable timetabled departure times will play a part. For the last few years SPC haven’t chartered a fast craft - P&O boat. This in some way reduces capacity. 

Its worth noting that sadly locals are caught up in accidents, or fatalities, which in turn results in a show trial, and near hang them, flog them. For drivers on the roads, I’m afraid at times it’s no fun and it’s definitely challenging. Not all residents can escape the rock due to factors such as cost, availability and whether they can get time off. Sadly these facts are often overlooked by our politicos, in reviews. Only focus on the success and never the failure. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2112 said:

it wasn’t a success, due to deaths in racing, death on the open road and some terrible injuries, suffered.

Marmite. Here's the chief's take on it. And a hat. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't it the Festival of Motorcycling? It's hard to keep up with all these Brand Name changes! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 2112 said:

I really hope DEAD get their act together and sort out proper sponsorship for the Sidecar Races. Being sponsored by IOM taxpayers via Locate.IM really isn’t good, they can’t use this next year. With all the companies and supposed connections of our ‘wonderful superior politicians’, you would think they would know how to creep, fawn and lick backsides as well as networking. If they can’t get sponsors, it’s time to throw in the towel. 

I saw some of the debate on that. I’m not convinced that associating a potentially premature death with a move to the IOM is a good thing either. We really don’t seem to know what the IOM is anymore and so we dont even know what group of people we should be communicating with on advertising. But we just have money to spend on adverts as other people don’t see the value in spending money to be associated with bad publicity about death or serious personal injury. 

The more I put everything together it’s clear this place has had it. In fact it had it about 10 years ago. We’re now just having to listen to the last generation of swine running the place into the ground for their own benefit before the money runs out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought that one of the reasons you sponsored someone or an event is to promote a brand or promote a service. Locate.im seems to me ‘wishy washy’, dreamt up as a last minute thing as DEAD couldn’t use its influence, and get an organisation to sponsor the race. It’s the taxpayer ultimately paying again to sponsor 2 races! A hidden cost involved.  At least with most of the other sponsors, you have heard of them, they have some form of brand profile. Locate.im is trying to get people to come to the island, then move here permanently. Not really an appropriate sponsor for the TT. Couldn’t they get a motorcycle dealership or a parts company to possibly sponsor a race? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I always thought that one of the reasons you sponsored someone or an event is to promote a brand or promote a service. Locate.im seems to me ‘wishy washy’, dreamt up as a last minute thing as DEAD couldn’t use its influence, and get an organisation to sponsor the race. It’s the taxpayer ultimately paying again to sponsor 2 races! A hidden cost involved.  At least with most of the other sponsors, you have heard of them, they have some form of brand profile. Locate.im is trying to get people to come to the island, then move here permanently. Not really an appropriate sponsor for the TT. Couldn’t they get a motorcycle dealership or a parts company to possibly sponsor a race? 

Tobacco sponsorship is always good for Motorsport.  

F51CD895-A883-4522-A3AC-ECDEF466D2AF.jpeg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, remember that brand well. 'Death Lites' came in a nice white box... 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't notice much manxgas sponsorship and advertising this year, although I wasn't looking for it. They still splashing the cash?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the days of throwing money at things under a banner called sponsorship are long gone. Sponsorship comes with marketing and brand image attached, and that is why any creditable company will not associate with the death race called the TT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Gizo said:

the days of throwing money at things under a banner called sponsorship are long gone. Sponsorship comes with marketing and brand image attached, and that is why any creditable company will not associate with the death race called the TT.

Do you know this for certain or is it pure speculation?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I didn't notice much manxgas sponsorship and advertising this year, although I wasn't looking for it. They still splashing the cash?

Yes, they do it under the IEG banner these days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's interesting, the IEG banner. Never heard of them, maybe I might see a bike with IEG on it and think I'll buy some of that, only to find out it's Manx Gas!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...