Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Snorri

Planning – Draft Area Plan for the East

What is the Area Plan for the East?

The Area Plan will implement the broad Island-wide planning ‘Policies’ set out in the Isle of Man Strategic Plan 2016 including:

a written statement and a set of maps
    a series of ‘Proposals’, many being site specific, set out how the East may change within the Plan Period (up to 2026) and what will be protected from change
    development opportunities for employment purposes, housing and other land uses are identified

https://consult.gov.im/cabinet-office/draft-area-plan-east/

Just wondering if anyone has taken the time to have a look at these maps and if anybody else has some serious concerns about where this is going?

1 minute ago, Snorri said:

Just wondering if anyone has taken the time to have a look at these maps and if anybody else has some serious concerns about where this is going?

It’s too big a development but let’s face it the new residents won’t be coming so the estates won’t be built. 

We have a Government which blindly believes in Keynesian economics. Quite dangerous, really, if you consider what this has led to in places like Detroit. They've already replicated that same thing in parts of Douglas town centre. They may very well build the estates first, then (or while) seeking residents, on the premise that it will spur economic activity and therefore make the island a more desirable place to move to.

• Like 1

Snorri, as you've said your new to the Island. Have you bought or are you renting? Is it an old or a new property?

If you do have concerns or comments write in, it is a consultation.

Edited by mojomonkey

13 minutes ago, Snorri said:

We have a Government which blindly believes in Keynesian economics. Quite dangerous, really, if you consider what this has led to in places like Detroit. They've already replicated that same thing in parts of Douglas town centre. They may very well build the estates first, then (or while) seeking residents, on the premise that it will spur economic activity and therefore make the island a more desirable place to move to.

A developer would want to know that they could sell the housing stock it’s not going to want to sit on hundreds of houses there is no demand for. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

3 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

A developer would want to know that they could sell the housing stock it’s not going to want to sit on hundreds of houses there is no demand for. 

What if government steps in as buyer, or massively subsidises? It wouldn't all be built in one go so it would be bit by bit. I can see it being subsidised at a minimum.

Personally, I think the houses would be filled. I just don't think it would in any way help the island's economy. It would just increase the scale of everything: more people, more costs, meaning no real advantage has been gained. The only way to gain an advantage would be to encourage people who pay more tax. I don't know where those people would come from, but short-sighted government won't think that far ahead. They will see thousands more people and think it will magically bring in money to the Treasury. And it will, but it'll also mean more money going out of Treasury.

7 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Snorri, as you've said your new to the Island. Have you bought or are you renting? Is it an old or a new property?

If you do have concerns or comments write in, it is a consultation.

At what point do I stop being "new" in this weirdo island? I've been here a few months now. Get off my back.

25 minutes ago, Snorri said:

At what point do I stop being "new" in this weirdo island? I've been here a few months now. Get off my back.

When your first great grandchild is born here. 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Snorri said:

I wasn't, and aren't, having a go at you. Genuine question to try to better understand your concerns.

You will be surprised at the demand in certain areas. Feels  like 2009 /2010 in some areas near the business park .2009/2010 was the peak of the Island property bubble IMHO.

Some houses here are sold even before they are advertised by the agents and that too at full asking prices  .( Sold to people who have already  registered with the agents) 

PS: Sold prices are mostly still around or just below the peak of the bubble in 2009/2010 

However I know a few who have managed to sell their houses ( bought in 2014 when the market was at the lowest ) with a nice 10-15% profit and move up the ladder. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Snorri said:

When you say “we” have a government...do you mean the government of the IOM or the government of wherever you so recently left? How were you able to devote time to considering planning policies when you were so busy doing your Albert Gubay “homework”?

9 hours ago, Snorri said:

I've been sterilised.

Pity your mum wasn’t 

2 hours ago, Uhtred said:

When you say “we” have a government...do you mean the government of the IOM or the government of wherever you so recently left? How were you able to devote time to considering planning policies when you were so busy doing your Albert Gubay “homework”?

Both things could be easily researched within half an hour by someone with the sound acumen and appropriate skills.

• Haha 1