Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Snorri

Planning – Draft Area Plan for the East

I'm sure we were commenting on this in another thread weeks ago..................................

ETA: Yes we were. It was in the Warty Report thread.

If you look at the population estimate on page 4 of the above document, it would appear that the much vaunted reversal in population decline since the 2016 census has stuttered once more and it is now flat lining at best. At the younger age group, and that is everyone under 65 by the way, so not all so young, it actually appears to be shrinking once more. Goodness knows what the figure would look like for just the 18-40 age group.

Against this backdrop, they release a draft Eastern Area Plan consultation that takes the 2011 population projections through to 2026 as its basis. Those projections were looking at about 89,000 by now and 93,500 by 2026, and they were reasserted as authentic by government in 2015 (link below), despite numerous knowledgeable individuals and organisations telling them it was hopelessly excessive.

https://www.gov.im/media/1357454/draft-isle-of-man-strategic-plan-2015-evidence-paper-1-housing-demand.pdf

Far from that, with the 2016 census data, we now know that we have actually gone backwards from where we were in 2011, but no allowance has been made for the discrepancy in the planning consultation. It seems to be a case of just encourage development and hope. Seems speculative and very risky to me.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1

I hope so. We need to discuss how they're going to be turning the entire middle east of the Isle of Man (including the countryside) into one giant big town.

It's a frightening thought.

2 hours ago, mad_manx said:

You will be surprised at the demand in certain areas. Feels  like 2009 /2010 in some areas near the business park .2009/2010 was the peak of the Island property bubble IMHO.

Some houses here are sold even before they are advertised by the agents and that too at full asking prices  .( Sold to people who have already  registered with the agents) 

PS: Sold prices are mostly still around or just below the peak of the bubble in 2009/2010 

However I know a few who have managed to sell their houses ( bought in 2014 when the market was at the lowest ) with a nice 10-15% profit and move up the ladder. 

There certainly are some hot spots both in location and price level where demand is bouyant and lots of properties are under offer. Plenty of others where it isn't that way.

Edited by woolley

So we could just end up with lots of people who already live here moving to other houses here, leaving massive ghost town areas.

37 minutes ago, Snorri said:

Both things could be easily researched within half an hour by someone with the sound acumen and appropriate skills.

And an education at one of the worlds best universities. 

How long before you mention tracing your family history back to the year dot?

How long before you respond to the subject of this thread and not random biographical details that don't have anything to do with me.

Government in the past 25yrs or so have always based their decisions on numbers data which at best was exaggerated, and at worst fanciful. They have shown no interest in looking at the facts in the prevailing circumstances nor being told by independent people that their data is either outdated or flawed !

One of the reasons that much of the income government had available was frittered away fulfilling fantasy targets !

Edited by asitis
grammar
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Snorri said:

So we could just end up with lots of people who already live here moving to other houses here, leaving massive ghost town areas.

Hence my earlier question (which you randomly dismissed) asking where you, as someone who has relatively recently moved to the Island, lives.

It's good to see you're interested in something like this. Can we assume you will be making a proper response to the consultation?

The gaming industry is having difficulty in finding accommodation for their immigrant workforce.  One, I believe, has leased a hotel for that purpose.

10 hours ago, Gladys said:

The gaming industry is having difficulty in finding accommodation for their immigrant workforce.  One, I believe, has leased a hotel for that purpose.

There’s a lack of serviced accommodation over here, that’s what e-gaming firms need as a lot of workers are transient.