Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
twinkle

IPTV set top box

I've just bought one of these boxes,has anyone got one?,if so whats the verdict on them.

I’ve got a MAG250 and a MAG254 with a subscription package. Use one in Spain and the other in Bulgaria to get UK TV. 

Needs good internet connection. Tends to pixelate and freeze. The claimed minimum download of 2mbps is hopelessly overoptimistic.

10 hours ago, John Wright said:

I’ve got a MAG250 and a MAG254 with a subscription package. Use one in Spain and the other in Bulgaria to get UK TV. 

Needs good internet connection. Tends to pixelate and freeze. The claimed minimum download of 2mbps is hopelessly overoptimistic.

Cheers JW the model I have is the 322/323 so I shall have to see how it performs after I have it set up.

Edited by twinkle

2 hours ago, twinkle said:

Cheers JW the model I have is the 322/323 so I shall have to see how it performs after I have it set up.

It also needs a dongle plugged in for the WiFi to work.

8 hours ago, twinkle said:

It also needs a dongle plugged in for the WiFi to work.

I have mine hardwired.

The claimed minimum download of 2mbps is hopelessly overoptimistic.

True especially with the higher quality sources.

It's worth bearing in mind that the program origin's upload connection is just as important as your connection.

My connection is a symmetric 600 Mbps and certain channels still freeze on a wired connection from the router to the MAG254.

I continue to use the Mag250/254. Internet connection in Spain much improved but the heatwave and fires have caused slowdown  and pixelation/freeze the last few days.

i was watching Without a Trace a couple of days ago. On Sky Atlantic.  Mainly in English, with some French dialogue, where the subtitles came up in German.

Vagaries of these subscriptions.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I continue to use the Mag250/254. Internet connection in Spain much improved but the heatwave and fires have caused slowdown  and pixelation/freeze the last few days.

i was watching Without a Trace a couple of days ago. On Sky Atlantic.  Mainly in English, with some French dialogue, where the subtitles came up in German.

Vagaries of these subscriptions.

We binned sky having paid £115 per month for far too long. We are interested in these boxes offering 000s of channels, but as there is so much out there we don't have a clue where to start.

Is there a simple "buy a box " then subscribe somewhere and do you recommend anything? :thumbsup:

( two of our TVs are smart, but not sure of what capability ) 

Edited by dilligaf

12 hours ago, dilligaf said:

We binned sky having paid £115 per month for far too long. We are interested in these boxes offering 000s of channels, but as there is so much out there we don't have a clue where to start.

Is there a simple "buy a box " then subscribe somewhere and do you recommend anything? :thumbsup:

( two of our TVs are smart, but not sure of what capability ) 

Ours is a smart TV dilli and we have Now TV (7.95 per month) and Netflix (free courtesy of my son) more than enough tv for anybody

• Thanks 1