Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
twinkle

avoiding amazon postal restrictions

I have trawled through an AMAZON search thread but could not find how someone had avoided these sometimes annoying boxes with no delivery offshore for the goods ordered,i think someone posted they deleted their postcode or something,anyone help on this!.

..............I always put my address as IOM, UK after the postcode, seems to work even though it hurts!........

• Like 2

19 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

..............I always put my address as IOM, UK after the postcode, seems to work even though it hurts!........

Yes, I learned by trial and error that this always works for me too, just select "United Kingdom" as the country even though it's incorrect, and the goods get delivered

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:14 PM, doc.fixit said:

Nothing wrong with adding UK. After all, they are your landlord... :flowers:

On 7/2/2018 at 1:53 PM, Neil Down said:

Nothing wrong with adding UK. After all, they are your landlord... :flowers:

IF you put 1M instead of IM in post code it works every time , 

On 7/10/2018 at 5:16 PM, Ben dover said:

You can’t do that on Amazon, it throws up an error message that your zip code does not match the region.

On 7/1/2018 at 9:55 PM, dilligaf said:

Just sign up for prime.

And give them 80 quid a year for nothing? :o

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 5:16 PM, Ben dover said:

Depends on the software the sender uses to process orders.  You've probably just got lucky because the one most commonly used simply won't print the postage/courier label if you put in a spurious post code.  As couriers depend on post codes being correct you also run the risk that your parcel will be delayed or simply disappear into the bowels of some huge distribution hub.

• Like 3

It may also be stuff thats not supposed to fly e.g co2 cartridges, some types of battery etc.

8 hours ago, ian rush said:

It may also be stuff thats not supposed to fly e.g co2 cartridges, some types of battery etc.

Nope. Because UK mainland mail is often also flown. Or may sometimes be flown - depending on the route. It's not predictable by destination postcode. That's why proper labelling is essential - if the label says not to be flown then it goes via a surface route.

It's basically shitty trying to get around something which a retailer has specified - since in some cases it will genuinely be about cost or inconvenience. The only sensible and fair solution is to contact them and find out whether they can work out a price.

On 7/15/2018 at 5:40 PM, The Phat Tog said:

Depends on the software the sender uses to process orders.

On the Amazon platform?

Edited by pongo

Something I deal with every day Pongo, so yes!   When dealing with high volumes of incoming orders, often B2B, you need something that links platforms like Amazon & Ebay and imports the orders into whatever operating system that sender uses (Sage for example).  The program I use will not print a courier label if a spurious post code has been entered (or if people put unneccesary gaps - IM 1 1XX for example)

You're absolutely right about trying to short circuit a retailer's delivery specs.  It's a fact that couriers will always charge more to deliver offshore or to the highlands because their own costs will be higher.  That gets passed on to the trader and almost inevitably on to the customer.

It needn't be too expensive to deliver to the Rock - just speak to the retailer like you said.  If there's a bit of meat on the bones they may be able to do something.

I've tried to speak to retailers in the past, suggesting they perhaps send me the stuff via ParcelForce. I've often met disinterest and intransigence, only interested in dealing with their own courier

8 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I've tried to speak to retailers in the past, suggesting they perhaps send me the stuff via ParcelForce. I've often met disinterest and intransigence, only interested in dealing with their own courier

I've had a degree of success in persuading retailers to use parcel force , I'll admit on a couple of occasions I have said if it get's lost in the post I'll take the hit, to date I've been lucky. 

That said sometimes the  the courier  costs exceed the cost of the item :(