£6m spent on new bus fleet

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm etremely drunk

The phrase "commercially confidential" was used, and mainly abused ! by a number of politicos as the way to answer questions they really would rather not answer ! I have said it before and I will

I'm not concerned about the cost, it makes sense to not have a whole fleet of 'cabbages' trying to get around the island and costing us more in repairs and maintenance. What does concern me is the att

Just been looking at teletext and I see the NHS is procuring 256 new ambulances at a cost of £36.3 million. A few rough calculations on the back of a fag packet I work out that for £6 million they would get 39 fully equiped ambulances at a cost of £152,000 each. How many new buses have we aquired and how  much have we payed for  basicaly for vans with seats and a bit of carpet. And is there any saloons in that price.

36 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Just been looking at teletext and I see the NHS is procuring 256 new ambulances at a cost of £36.3 million. A few rough calculations on the back of a fag packet I work out that for £6 million they would get 39 fully equiped ambulances at a cost of £152,000 each. How many new buses have we aquired and how  much have we payed for  basicaly for vans with seats and a bit of carpet. And is there any saloons in that price.

But that’s not what they bought. Scroll back up and read the FOI request, using the link. There were a mix of full size buses and 19 minibuses, they aren’t ambulances. They’re minibuses fitted with a rear lift for wheel chairs, wheel chair spaces and ordinary seats. They can be used for the dial a ride services, special needs school pick up & drop off, patient transport, school club, societies and sports runs, and private hire. 

With out knowing how many buses, price each is hard to work out. But if basic price is £35.000 and buying in bulk I would expect the price to be consideraly discounted and if we bought 40 new mini buses your telling me its going to cost the best of £120,000 to fit each vehicle out. I for one would not consider that value for money. sorry just read the post as was writing 

. Lifts for goods or wheel chairs are not that pricey less seats less cost what do you need to fit for dial a ride and if i'm not rong some body qouted 89,000 for the single deckers

Edited by Dirty Buggane
reaction
53 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

With out knowing how many buses, price each is hard to work out. But if basic price is £35.000 and buying in bulk I would expect the price to be consideraly discounted and if we bought 40 new mini buses your telling me its going to cost the best of £120,000 to fit each vehicle out. I for one would not consider that value for money. sorry just read the post as was writing 

. Lifts for goods or wheel chairs are not that pricey less seats less cost what do you need to fit for dial a ride and if i'm not rong some body qouted 89,000 for the single deckers

I’ve already suggested you follow the link in the OP.

However, to help you, here is the info you require

The new fleet purchase comprises 33 mercedes citaro single deckers, purchased at a price ranging from £134,490 to £169,100, and 19 Mercedes Sprinter minibuses that were acquired for between £56,960 and £86,975 each. Those prices include adaptations for restricted mobility access.

Edited by John Wright
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Another item of penny pinching relating to our National Bus Company.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/no-more-return-tickets-on-bus-vannin/

So people will have to buy single journeys. Personally it doesn’t affect me as I haven’t used the buses for years and I drive everywhere. I will affect passengers going to work - those on a low wage. Not everyone will use contactless payment. 

37 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Another item of penny pinching relating to our National Bus Company.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/no-more-return-tickets-on-bus-vannin/

So people will have to buy single journeys. Personally it doesn’t affect me as I haven’t used the buses for years and I drive everywhere. I will affect passengers going to work - those on a low wage. Not everyone will use contactless payment. 

Use a Go card. That gives discounts 

28 minutes ago, kevster said:

Use a Go card. That gives discounts 

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Its 50p cheaper for a return on a long route eg PE to Douglas £5.70 instead of £6.20. Nice to see them looking out for customer goodwill.

If i was to pull up at a bus stop in ballasalla in my car, with 4 people waiting to catch the bus , what could i legally charge them for a lift into douglas, would a charge of £2 each be un-resonable  ?

Edited by LightBulb