Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Boo Gay'n

Thomas says we can find out through FoI

Chris Thomas, Minister for Who Knows What, made some bold claims in this noospaper article.  He said "If the honourable questioner [Mrs Beecroft] or anyone else wants to make a Freedom of Information Act request, is perfectly legitimate and it will be answered."

Do MF members ever look at the FoI government website?  I did after reading the article and saw some really weird answers - mainly trying not to answer the questions. Look at this one from the 26th of June (plus appendix 1, appendix 2, appendix 3 and appendix 4).

I can't make head nor tail of it, and smell something dodgy.

I reckon the 4 managers and 2 normal staff who work in the FOI department are probably so absolutely fed up with Buster that they've almost given up hope.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Chris Thomas, Minister for Who Knows What, made some bold claims in this noospaper article.  He said "If the honourable questioner [Mrs Beecroft] or anyone else wants to make a Freedom of Information Act request, is perfectly legitimate and it will be answered."

Do MF members ever look at the FoI government website?  I did after reading the article and saw some really weird answers - mainly trying not to answer the questions. Look at this one from the 26th of June (plus appendix 1, appendix 2, appendix 3 and appendix 4).

This is the sort of thing that just wastes time and money.

Obviously from somebody with an axe to grind or being vexatious because they can.

Pink dog - well, you suspect something dodgy, I’d venture that the questioner knows there’s something dodgy. Those are informed questions, from within government I’d say. A DHSC person who is seeking to undermine it/expose it? Given how fundamental this review is (or purports to be) it’s also odd how very quietly it’s being done. Interesting too that this Jonathon Michaels chap was simply appointed under the radar. I also love the 100% redacted email in appendix 3; the fact that Thomas writes exactly as he talks (or, more likely, a civil servant has mastered the art of reproducing the Thomas stream-of-nonsense) and viewing what is, by far, the best illustration yet that FoI is completely worthless. But I do hope that this questioner doesn’t give up.

We have an untrustworthy government. You are right to be alert for the dodgy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I must strongly disagree Dilli - the extent to which Thomas has bent over backwards to not answer legitimate questions about what is supposed to be the most rigorous review ever of our NHS suggest a deeply undemocratic process is at work here. Upholding democracy in a fully transparent way is never a waste of time and money. I fear very much that the people of the Island are becoming inured to our very much less than frank government and our supine, complicit, cosy House of Keys. This “new normal” replicates the way the US is shrugging its shoulders about the monster in the White House. Don’t be fooled by the costumed soap opera at St. John’s today, this parliament/government does what it wants, tells us what it chooses to, and if you don’t like it, well sod off. I’m increasingly concerned about the vibe on this Island Dilli; things ain’t right.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Obviously from somebody with an axe to grind or being vexatious because they can.

:lol: :lol: :lol: 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I must strongly disagree Dilli - the extent to which Thomas has bent over backwards to not answer legitimate questions about what is supposed to be the most rigorous review ever of our NHS suggest a deeply undemocratic process is at work here. Upholding democracy in a fully transparent way is never a waste of time and money. I fear very much that the people of the Island are becoming inured to our very much less than frank government and our supine, complicit, cosy House of Keys. This “new normal” replicates the way the US is shrugging its shoulders about the monster in the White House. Don’t be fooled by the costumed soap opera at St. John’s today, this parliament/government does what it wants, tells us what it chooses to, and if you don’t like it, well sod off. I’m increasingly concerned about the vibe on this Island Dilli; things ain’t right.

This has become the norm for many years now!

• Thanks 2

I personally cannot wait until FOI is properly rolled out to include the LAs - or if it has already been, for the plebs to realise and start lobbing in the requests. The amount of ratepayer's dollar that is being squandered on luxuries, inefficient and outdated practices, cockups, huge salaries for those responsible for overseeing the cockups with no experience for post and ensuing coverups needs to be made public. And has been for some time. 

The problem is that the vetting of said requests may lie with the above, at least initially.

9 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Your links suck.

• Like 1

Totally misread it, ignore my blind eyes

Edited by benl
Deleted as I'm an idiot and cant read.

There are checks and balances built into the system. If information is refused, the requestor can appeal to the Information Commissioner and he's already overruled Longtail on the cost of buses.

I'm looking forward to finding out about the Douglas mayoral chain which allegedly disappeared.

I have tried to make an FOI request for a couple of months getting nowhere I ploughed through all the guff, put my details in and have got a message 'out of time' am waiting for one of my bright offspring to have a couple of minutes to spare to help, but really losing the will.....perhaps that is what they want.    I envisaged filling in my details and filling in a form with room to state the info requested that would have been too easy I expect.  I appreciate that they are busy and feel somewhat agrieved that a couple of people are hogging this service to the detriment of others.

7 hours ago, piebaps said:

I’m looking forward to finding out about the Douglas mayoral chain which allegedly disappeared.

Lost in a hot tub I heard.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I appreciate that they are busy and feel somewhat agrieved that a couple of people are hogging this service to the detriment of others.

That’s a big problem - FOI is actually very, very important but the proper use of it is being hijacked as a nutters charter. I genuinely believe that government knew full well that would happen and saw it as a very useful blockage in the system. Perhaps any one person should be limited to 6 questions per year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Surprised me...how many requests so far...some of them are good and quite clever.

Though...hats off to to the data protection guy MrMcDonald....he's actually on Joe Public's side.

Hurrah!

Bout time we had a taxpayers champion.

• Like 2