Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
TheTeapot

More death and destruction

9 hours ago, quilp said:

For some, like LC and others on here

I dunno why you keep mentioning me. 

18 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I think that Mail article was around the time that Mac Hobson and Kenny Birch were killed on Bray Hill and then Ernst Trachsel lost his life moments later at the foot of the hill; I’m guessing 1978 but I could be out a year or two.

Bray Hill was a butcher's shop that year. How the event survived after that left many shaking their heads and walking away.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Sadly not. There was a bad year recently with 3 deaths.

I love the southern 100 and think its far better than the TT and MGP for many reasons.

Sadly it is taking it's toll. I don't know why. Maybe the bikes are just too fast these days.

I would not want the racing stopped, but something has to be done soon to counter this mayhem or it will be taken out of the hands of the organisers. The TT also.

Bigger and faster bikes racing on roads not suited to it

• Like 2

That stadium bends has serious crashes every other year. If you ever watched from the football club you'll see it's the angle of the corner combined with the shuddering of some bikes under heavy breaking which makes it liable for unintentional clipping. It's not just bikes though I've seen quite a few cars clip that corner as I've followed them in as well.

58 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Twice in one thread, no less. Don't see what the problem is looking back in context. It's hardly anything compared to some of the shit thrown your way.

Strange, really, seeing as I was posting in support...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I would not want the racing stopped, but something has to be done soon to counter this mayhem or it will be taken out of the hands of the organisers. The TT also.

Who would do the taking? (serious question)

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

I think that Mail article was around the time that Mac Hobson and Kenny Birch were killed on Bray Hill and then Ernst Trachsel lost his life moments later at the foot of the hill; I’m guessing 1978 but I could be out a year or two.

A detail, Ernst Trachsel died at Quarterbridge (was 1978)

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

cos you're a cunt ?

11 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Castletown square is busy, music blaring out, people seemingly having a good time, I stopped to have a beer and overheard someone talking about it, the show must go on I guess

I was on the bus that went through the square about 10 last night. In Douglas two people were tittle-tattling about there having being a bad crash at the Stadium. When we got to the Square and there clearly being a party taking place, I assumed that it can't have been that bad. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

A detail, Ernst Trachsel died at Quarterbridge (was 1978)

Nope, sorry gettafa.....Trachsel was killed at the bottom of Bray (though arguably the Quarterbridge Rd) in the same race and just after the double fatality of Hobson and Birch.

Again, arguably caused by the same road defect that caused the Hobson crash, a raised manhole(?) hump at the top of Bray that created a ramp that Eddie the Eagle would have been pleased to have graced.

That had previously been identified as a hazard and had had a white line painted on its approach to warn. After the TT that year the road was reprofiled and tested multiple times by Jock Taylor IIRC.

The events elicited the notorious, "We've had more than 3 in one day before" statement from the ACU at the time. Hard to believe it was 40 years ago now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

When we got to the Square and there clearly being a party taking place, I assumed that it can't have been that bad. 

It wasn't that bad was it? For the organisers anyway. Going on the Teapot's observations I expect the DJ threw in an Another One Bites The Dust at some stage. Crazy. 

1 hour ago, Declan said:

I was on the bus that went through the square about 10 last night. In Douglas two people were tittle-tattling about there having being a bad crash at the Stadium. When we got to the Square and there clearly being a party taking place, I assumed that it can't have been that bad. 

To be fair it was the awards presentation that always takes place, and a big percentage of those there had come from the S100 campsite. 

It wasn't a party.  CT commissioners have had the square closed to parking and additional seating for people to congregate there all week.  There were people having sat having tea in addition to those who were having a drink.

33 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The events elicited the notorious, "We've had more than 3 in one day before" statement from the ACU at the time. 

Going on this list of Snaefell course fatalities, that statement seems inaccurate, although the 1962 Manx Grand Prix equalled it. 

16 minutes ago, JessTickle said:

To be fair it was the awards presentation that always takes place, and a big percentage of those there had come from the S100 campsite. 

It wasn't a party.  CT commissioners have had the square closed to parking and additional seating for people to congregate there all week.  There were people having sat having tea in addition to those who were having a drink.

Fair enough, from the bus it looked like a party. 

20 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Going on this list of Snaefell course fatalities, that statement seems inaccurate, although the 1962 Manx Grand Prix equalled it. 

IIRC, and I'm a bit hazy on this, the statement was made by the ACU's publicity officer of the time, Bruce somebody....?