Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
TheTeapot

More death and destruction

Trachsel crashed as he was passing the junction with Brunswick Rd.  It was reckoned there was a problem with the front suspension.  It didn't seem to be linked to the bump in the road that caused Mac Hobson's crash - just an awful coincidence that the accidents happened so close together in both time and distance.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

You will be correct I didn't fact check - I just always remember one of the red tops had a guy who annually had his say.

i do remember the Daily Mail one - might be worth a bit of research to see if it is still pertinent.

Not so sure

I too thought it was TM who wrote the true, but not liked comments

Pretty sure I am correct too

12 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Bigger and faster bikes racing on roads not suited to it

This is a very uneducated comment.

Whilst indeed bikes are getting capable of faster and faster speeds, yesterday's accident occurred in a 600cc race, not a superbike race.  So the increasing speed of motorcycles isn't really a factor.

As for 'bigger', well that's just a silly comment thrown in for effect.  Bikes are getting smaller and smaller.

In summary, don't chat shit.

1 minute ago, Chef Raekwon said:

Whilst indeed bikes are getting capable of faster and faster speeds, yesterday's accident occurred in a 600cc race, not a superbike race.  So the increasing speed of motorcycles isn't really a factor.

As for 'bigger', well that's just a silly comment thrown in for effect.  Bikes are getting smaller and smaller.

You are the one “chanting shit”

The bikes are faster and indeed bigger in terms of bhp

That is the rout cause in my opinion

Untill all our circuits are circular there will be riders dying by the score

They have tried to make the TT safer by ironing out corners but just made it faster and more dangerous

The southern can not be altered so it has to be the bikes that change

Same goes for the TT

I don’t know who will have the balls to change things but they cannot go on this way

• Thanks 1

Smaller capacity bikes tend to have higher corner speed because you don't have the power and torque to gun it out of the bend.  A superbike rider could in theory take it fairly easy through a bend and then use the power and torque to exit the corner fast.  Smaller bikes are all about maintaining momentum.

It was Ted McCauley who did the annual anti-TT thing by the way.

Dilli, the Billown circuit has a fairly good safety record, considering the intensity of the racing and the fact that other than introduce better quality protection like Recticel (which they've done) there isn't much else you can do.  29 riders have been lost since the mid-50s.  Agreed it would be better if the figure was zero but it probably stacks up well against other road circuits and even short circuits.  A rider was lost at Brands Hatch this last weekend at a corner with a lot of run-off (Paddock Hill Bend) so sometimes even if you do as much as is feasibly possible it still ain't enough.

Edited by The Phat Tog
added to post
  • Like 2

It would be great for there to be a genuine, well organised and audited opinion pole about the future of road racing on this isle. I have, my very strong opinions but feel that no matter how well I put them across I will be well and truly vilified. One thing for certain, it can't carry on as is

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Chef Raekwon said:

I do love it when chumps chat shit. Ago's MV Agusta ran at 102bhp. This was a finely tuned racing machine. Compare that now to a Honda Fireblade straight out of the crate running at 178bhp.

Now shut up and get back to your colouring books

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

You are the one “chanting shit”

The bikes are faster and indeed bigger in terms of bhp

That is the rout cause in my opinion

Untill all our circuits are circular there will be riders dying by the score

They have tried to make the TT safer by ironing out corners but just made it faster and more dangerous

The southern can not be altered so it has to be the bikes that change

Same goes for the TT

I don’t know who will have the balls to change things but they cannot go on this way

Bollocks.  Riders have been dying at road races since they began.  They're on the limit and accidents happen, the bikes haven't suddenly become too fast otherwise why were people dying for the last 100 years?

Anyway my point was more that the "bigger and faster" comment was indeed a load of shit, because they're certainly not bigger and again it was a 600cc race which is still slower than the superbikes were 10 years or so ago. 

4 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

I do love it when chumps chat shit. Ago's MV Agusta ran at 102bhp. This was a finely tuned racing machine. Compare that now to a Honda Fireblade straight out of the crate running at 178bhp.

Now shut up and get back to your colouring books

I refer you to my last comment you cretin.

Of course bikes are faster now, so your incredible fact is somewhat pointless. 

Edited by Chef Raekwon